ExPo Dads?

comac90

Observer
Just adding to what everyone else has said ...

We have 4 kids: 8yr, 6.5yr, 2yr ,and 10 months - and they all were camping by the time they were 6 months old. My wife, fortunately, loves it, too. She has even gotten into the lighter off-road driving part of it from time-to-time.

I second (or is that a 'third') the Kelty kid pack. We bought one 9 yrs ago, and every kid has had their time in it; often taking extended naps on hiking trips (whew! - just had a flashback of a 12k' day hike with our first at 9 months old snoozing the better part of the day. It's amazing how fast they grow!). We also love the Pak-n-Plays. We now lug two of them on the trips. We have a Kelty 9-person tent that perfectly fits 2 set-up Pak-n-Plays and a double blow-up mattress. The two older kids sleep a two-man tent.

Definitely, go for it! We run solo often, but hook up with another local 'overlanding family' with 3 kids pretty regularly. In fact, he and I are taking our oldest kids on a weekend 4-wheeling/camping trip in April while our sweet wives stay with the youngest ones.

Have fun!

T

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
It seems like all the posts in this thread are with little boys. I didn't see anyone specify little girls. I'm ready to start taking my 2 year old on trips. I'm curious of any tips on overcoming obstacles encountered during their experiences.

Safado

Adventurer
Besides how they pee, there's not much of a difference or reason to treat them any differently. Try Pee-Mate and Go-Girl for that. Although I do find myself setting up a dedicated latrine (shelter, seat, hole/catch-bag) if I have my daughter with me on anything more than an overnighter...to make things nicer or more private for her. Especially if we have friends there.

I've got 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl ages 9, 7(girl), 3, and 1. Sometimes my wife comes, but for the most part it's been myself and the 3 older kids. We just returned yesterday from 7 days in Baja and it was a blast! (check out the thread -BAJA! A lot of work, but I'd do it again today. I think Ranchero said it best...adjust your expectations. When you take your kids along, it's about them...your fun is in watching them have fun. But that's what being a dad is. You might get a few moments to yourself here and there or in the evening, but then again you may choose to use that time to snuggle up and go to bed early. ;)

Realize that initially YOU are their only resource for everything, and it can get exhausting. At home, they've got it pretty figured out...food in the fridge, bathroom, water at the sink, clothes in the drawers, TV, etc. Just as in the home you've had to teach them to be self sufficient, helpful with chores, and entertain themselves, you need to do this in the outdoors. Where to get food, water, activities to do, where to be careful, appropriate behavior, etc. They're all teaching moments, make them fun and you'll both enjoy them better. But realize that it's still parenting...just a different environment.

Advise? Get them their own stuff...chair, sleeping bag, bag of clothes, etc. It's easier to teach them to be self sufficient if they know their boundaries. Let them help plan the menu and do the food shopping. Plan a fun activity or experience for the day and/or evening. Plan a fun dessert. Don't sweat the small stuff. Repeat often.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

srgsng25

Observer
i have to chime in to this LOL we have been a camping family since my daughter could walk when she was almost 2 we did lots of state parks and that was almost 14 years ago

Now we have 2 kids 15 1/2 daughter , and 12 year old son who is autistic plus my daughter tag along friends we roam from state, federal parks or DNR Lands

our kids loved just being out in nature granted we had to make sure we didn't bring any extra friends home LOL my daughter was always trying to bring new pets home LOL

So our advice so adventuring have fun give mom the day or night off LOL bike rides with bike trailers were always my favorite adventure i could got do 40-50 miles and relax

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It seems like all the posts in this thread are with little boys. I didn't see anyone specify little girls. I'm ready to start taking my 2 year old on trips. I'm curious of any tips on overcoming obstacles encountered during their experiences.

Agree with Safado and others - no differences between boys and girls at that age. Heck, in the sub-3 crowd, most are still in diapers either way. Here's our 2-year old girl at the recent SoCal Desert Rendezvous:
IMG_5255.JPG

offero

Desert rat
Wow, lots of experience, advice, and good memories of adventuring with family in this thread. Haven't gotten my 21 month old son out yet, but planning to in a couple weeks. Now to find some of those locking foam mats that ljtuck recommends. Those sound ideal for camping in the desert.

The posts on girl camping will come in handy in a couple years... we just found out that #2 is a girl.

Just a heads up for you the REI outlet has The North Face Tigger sleeping bag on sale right now. I bought 2 last week for both my boys their 2 & 3. My oldest made me camp out with him in the back yard almost every weekend last summer through the fall. I took him out to Pike NF a handful of times too. It's a lot of fun as long as the weathers nice so they don't have to be cooped up in a tent for too long. The first time out can be little rough but it gets easier every time. Good luck and have fun

Nate.S.

Figured I'd bump this old post. My little girl just turned 3. The wife and I used to go camping all the time, but since our daughter was born campin trips were down to me and a friend during hunting season. Were gunna start up again this summer. Wife isn't real excited, but it's somethin I gotta do.

offero

Desert rat
Since I started this thread, my son and I have camped a few times. What a joy it is to watch him explore the outdoors! You'll have a lot of fun, Nate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1