ExPo Dads?

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
I took my 2yr old son across the Trans Labrador Highway 2 summers ago, just the two of us.
WE HAD A BLAST!

Changing diapers while dodging sparrow sized mosquitoes in the middle of nowhere - it was epic.

Do it and have fun.

my 2¢

matt s

Explorer
Have to second the strap down booster seat and pack and play for sleeping. Works wonders. We had our boys out around 1 year old no problems.

psykokid

Explorer
we took my son on his first camping trip when he was just shy of 1 year old. We had the pack and play with us and it really was a necessity. Only year we brought it though. He's now 7 and we've done numerous trips since then and loves camping. Here he was this summer up at a little alpine lake near Lassen Volcanic national park..
IMG_3262.jpg

We're planning a 2.5 week trip this summer in the pacific northwest / vancouver island and he's uber excited. As a matter of fact he keeps egging me about fixing the Rover because he wants to go offroading again..

khronus79

Adventurer
Do it, you'll never want to go camping alone once you try it, kids are awesome they get a kick out of everything.

offero

Desert rat
Yeah, my son at 20 months already is getting a kick out of everything outside. Hoping to put together an overnight first-time trip with low-maintenance food prep and plenty of activities. Maybe when nighttime warms up a bit in the desert... April.

Dirtytires

Explorer
My youngest is like me. Likes to be outside and all, And Jacob the oldest likes to be a relaxed body ,more like his Mother.

grimbo

Explorer
Both our boys love camping as does my wife. Sleeping has never been an issue, they sleep better in a tent.

Have taken my oldest solo a few times. He is very laid back which made it easy but helped camping with another family.

As long as you can keep them warm and comfortable at night, can clean them up at bed time, get some food into them, realize they will operate at their own pace and that they will be interested in the strangest things so you have to go with the flow you will all be fine.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330117108.374590.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330117108.374590.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 27
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330117176.444452.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330117176.444452.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 25

photoman

Explorer
Pretty much adding to the consensus here. Just go do it and leave mom at home if you have to.

My son's first trip was when he was 9 mos old. Took a bouncy chair & a playpen. For a couple years we did a father and sons trip each summer with kids ranging from 9 mos to 4 years old. Brought there Tonka trucks, fishing poles (w/o hooks) and they never complained. I will say some kids don't like going number 2 in the woods when they are potty training but now that you can pickup a portable toilet seat for next to nothing I think that would make things a lot easier.

I have also been taking my son on week long father and son road trips since he was 3. Going to National Parks is a great way to get your gets into the outdoors starting from 2 yrs old with the junior ranger program. I have no idea how many of those badges my son has.

Just did a trip with two other dads a couple weekends ago. We were worried we were going to have to entertain the kids by off roading and finding some fishing areas. Between bb guns, rock formations, and glo sticks we never left camp.

I will 2nd some previous comments and suggest you do it at your kids pace. A cranky or whinny kid doesn't make for a happy dad either.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
For those of us with small kids, who are now walking...

I went to wal-mart and picked up a nice retractable 15 foot long dog leash and it has been great. I strap it around my son's mid section, or belt line, either way, and he can get around and play plenty, but I do not have to pay a ton of attention to him while I am working on something. Other than that I can stick him in the jeep for a little while to play while I am doing things as well.

My wife and I picked up a nice little pop up tent trailer, and that has been amazing for us. We can get the kids down inside, and still have time for one another. Plus if your spouse is not so into camping, a real bed, real dinner table, and a sink and stove to cook on are a big plus.

Our trailer did not come with a toilet in it (nor the stove come to that) the PO kept both for some odd reason. So I went to home depot and bought a little orange five gallon bucket, and then I got a seat that was made to snap onto the bucket, with bags that line the thing. It works great, instant toilet and it only cost me about ten bucks. Grab the bag in the morning, toss in the baby's diaper, and find a trash can to put it in!

Last thing, we end up having to stop some more than my wife and I would like, but we get the kids running around a bit, and it helps a lot. We also have a nice movie system that we can hang on the back of our chairs for the boys to watch. This type is better than the built in set up because you can also take it inside the trailer and the kids can watch a short or something while they are getting ready/ winding down for bed.

Well, that is how it works for me. Don't be afraid to take the kids out by yourself Dad, you can do it.

Pleasant travels!

Ranchero

Wanderer
I'm fortunate that my wife loves camping as least as much as I do, but I've taken many trips with just my son beginning when he was under a year old. The key for me was (and is) to adjust my expectations about what I can do with and without my family. In the beginning, camping was pretty much sitting around the campsite and taking short walks around camp (or longer ones in the Baby Bjorn or Kelty kid carrier thingy). It is amazing to see him learn about the world - he makes me slow down and examine nature in ways I wouldn't do on my own. If I needed to take my eyes off him for awhile I would put him in the bear bait container below. By 3 or 4 he was requesting camping trips often and he could do shorter bike rides and hikes ( a mile or two - good time for wheelie practice for me). By 6 or 7, he would occasionally bring a friend along (this is a fantastic thing!) and a 3-5 mile ride or 3 mile hike was OK. Now at 9, we can ride 10-15 miles together and ride many of the trails I would ride on my own. He helps make meals, pack the van, light the campfire and tells ghost stories. That part of my life is easily the most rewarding.

We always take lots of fun things with us depending on the season: board games, binoculars, slingshot, whiffle ball and bat, kite, nerf football, frisbees, baseball mits, sled, legos. etc

I imagine that if you and your kids get out there often, the wife will soon follow.

DSCN1519.JPG

setting up the tent...
DSCN1617.JPG

Rainbow Trail
IMGP2204.JPG

Winter camping at Great Sand Dunes.
DSC_0178.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1