Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Thermal transfer

Here's a pic I took last night that demonstrates thermal transfer. The outside skin on my big truck is Diabond which is .020 alum, 3mm polypropylene, .020 alum skin, it has a thermal value. It is held on with 3M tape onto 2" aluminum so no real metal to metal connection, there is 2" high density polyurethane spray foam in the walls, interior is completely lined with 3/8" plywood, and 1/8" Luan. The temperature dropped fairly quick last night and you can see where every stud is as the heat difference from the interior is radiating out through them, the temperature differential between the outside and the inside is only about 5 degrees. This camper does a really good job of keeping warm in the cold the way it is built, and it does have what could be considered a thermal deficiency.

Whale 5.jpg

Jeep

I like Whale pumps and systems, really good stuff, but sometimes even the good stuff has little issues....like the plastic mount plate that looks like a really good idea, if it had any meat to it and the screws weren't falling out. I cut an aluminum mounting plate for it, and transferred everything over, stainless hardware and nyloc nuts will keep everything in place. Pumps is mounted above the tank in the main cabinet and will draw water up with a tube inserted from the top of the tank, that way there are no fittings at the bottom of the tank to leak, if you need to drain the tank, simply turn the pump on, a bypass connection to the outside will take care of any draining requirements.

Whale 1.jpg

Whale 2.jpg

Whale 3.jpg

Whale 6.jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Mark, what you are doing is outstanding! Your approach reminds me of how we worked at Unicat. Details, details details :) No question, you are creating probably the most rugged, well thought out camper. I can't wait to see it done!

Jeep

Thanks Andreas, that is a pretty good compliment. It's the details that are remembered and the lack of detail is the first thing noticed, and I really do not like cheap cheesy ****!!!

I got the seating base partially in tonight, mounted the heat exchanger permanently, fabricated the heater bypass for the warm days, nice simple 2 valve system that puts the handles in the same direction regardless of function so should remove any confusion. It is getting full, there is minimal storage left under the seating area but there is a lot of stuff in an area that is usually a wheel well! Upper cabinets are done and will be going in tomorrow, windows go in, bunk goes in, wiring. plumbing, and woodwork. Should be done by Friday.

Image 7.jpg

Image 8.jpg

Also installed a cover plate over the drawers under the cook top, keep anything from falling into the drawer and adds some rigidity to the drawer sides, makes them a structural component.

Image 9.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
We are able to build heli portable structures, and attach crane lifting points because we have engineered and tested every component in the build to accomodate. My camper will have a nice roof rack with lifting points so I can drop it on and off the truck with my gantry or a picker if need be, how handy could that feature be? We know how much we can push or pull on a structure and build safety factors into the product. And like you mentioned the internal cabinets tie everything together too, floor to roof, floor to wall, roof to wall. Everything works together.

:Wow1::drool::cool:

DzlToy

Explorer
The marine industry struggles with this also, hence the need for warm dry air from a diesel fired heater or maybe even a small de-humidification system. Camping in places like Colorado, where the snow is often powdery dry may be different than where you are, but there is still moisture and condensation. Snow is water after all :D

Interesting that one can see the "studs" from the outside like that. Have you considered using a SIP that is built to spec? I have dealt with a company that can cut panels 96" high by 40 feet long, basically a standard ISO shipping container.

DzlToy

Explorer
Mea culpa. If I were paying attention, I would have noticed that truck is different than his current project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1