Fleetwood Neon Modified for off road

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I bought a 2' ladder for trailer entry, bar stock to finish extending the last 2 corner jacks, and primer and paint to finish everything up Friday as the weather looks good. Shocks ordered and supposed to be here Saturday, so that, weather moving in, 4WP expo, and European Motorcycle show will delay first campout until next weekend, maybe.
If you're starting from scratch for shock lengths as I was, I went to the MONROE website and looked at the "length specs" sheet. I then figured out which shocks I needed based on length, stroke, mounts, and type. I Googled the pn to find what vehicle it's used on, then Googled yr, vehicle, and pn to find best price, or possibly, a different kind of shock. I saved 35% doing it this way, even with shipping vs tax at the store. 2 shocks shipped for $54.
I wound up with Monroe Sensi-trac pn 37187, 9.375" - 14.250", 4.875" stroke, 1/2"x1.5" upper sleeve, and 5/8"x1.5" lower sleeve. This is the only non-HD shock close to matching my mounts and the 2" extension travel I have and the 2.875" compression travel I may get. My at rest span between mounts is about 12 1/2". These shocks fit on the front of a 1962 C-10 2WD Chevy pickup. I could've bought cheap stock replacement shocks for 25% less, but could'nt find specs on them and didn't want to take a chance.

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Super cool! I have been delaying ordering the springs to hear how the Dinoot/(add leaf) set up works out!

I'm not going to use the included add-a-leaf as it's the same size as the one already on the spring pack. If I need one later, I'll take apart and slip in, one of the stock spring leaves. BTW, the wheels I got are 15x6 trailer wheels w/LT 235/75/15 ATs.

MountainD

Adventurer
Let the frame cutting begin!! Still no choice on springs, but I am leaning toward the Trail-Gear Samurai +3 springs.

Frame1 pre weld.jpgFrame2 pre weld.jpg

Started to get late and I have neighbors with babies so that was enough for a late afternoon...

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Got my last 2 corner jackstands extended, painted and mounted. Flipped my old ballhitch and drilled another hole thru it so it slides in another 6". I'll have about an 1" clearance from the bottom of the tire to the top of the coupler. If I don't get enough clearance during articulation, I'll have to redrill another hole.

trailer 017.jpg
trailer 019.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Did you install your shocks? I'd love to know how it is working with those springs!

Yup, shocks arrived and installed today and are perfect for my suspension, swapped to locking nuts on the springs, and turnbuckles with chains to secure the corner jackstands. I'm done with the suspension finally. Weather is still bad on and off, so no test ride, but the suspension flexes good with control.

trailer 023.jpg
trailer 024.jpg
trailer 025.jpg

MountainD

Adventurer
It was a good day---lot of welding, grinding, fitting and measuring. Got the majority of the frame welded with the exception of the triangulation in the front and the shock hanger cross member that I will do tomorrow. Then flip the frame and weld the bottom along with figuring out the Bal C-Jack fitments. I ordered the Trail Gear Front Samurai 3" springs, bushings, hangers, 2" shackles but I don't know what to use yet for the shackle hanger. I just need to order brake hydraulic line/fittings, the lock-n-roll hitch and figure out a rear folding step.2015-04-11 17.48.58.jpg2015-04-11 16.02.32.jpg2015-04-11 16.03.36.jpg

silvrzuki77

explorer
Or this is what I did on my teardrop build
d0f74d41972123c21f2e4f8103ca79e0.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Weeeeelll, so much for being done. I was feeling a little uneasy that I might not have enough holding the suspension to the frame. So I cut, drilled, and welded on some tabs to the angle iron that the horizontal bolts will sandwich to the lift blocks much better.

MountainD

Adventurer
Another big day. Got the triangulation done, flipped the frame, welded the other side. So the majority of the cutting/welding is done for the most part. Got the axle ends on the axle, paralleled them the best I can (after a lot of fiddling) and got them welded up. Trial fitted the C-jacks. Still loads of stuff to do before springs and hangers arrive... It was a little windy, so the shielding gas wasn't perfect but I'm good with them for this amateur. Mainly waiting for parts now... Gonna rebuild the hubs tomorrow assuming the seals arrive...

2015-04-11 16.03.17.jpg2015-04-11 16.03.24.jpgFrame wlded.jpg2015-04-12 18.24.26.jpgHub.jpg

MountainD

Adventurer
Well the weather is moving in and the frame is all covered so it won't rust and that is perfect timing as all my big parts are coming on Friday and Saturday looks like a great build day! There are a couple things I have not decided on yet.

#1: Spring over or under axle? I can gain height by having it spring over (or add blocks for spring under if I need the height) but then again you can use the springs to get over rocks. The trailer's wheelbase is ~12" wider than my truck--no way around that and use the Neon--so it is inevitable that the trailer's tire will miss a rock my truck went over and then drag on that rock. So I was thinking the spring would get hung up less (assuming I protect the U-bolt springs with some sort of skid plate) than the axle would. Thoughts?

#2: Where to put the axle. Is the prevailing thought still 10-15% tongue weight? I am going to have to move my axle forward especially with a quite heavy tongue box. (hehehe I said tongue box....) Anywho, the further forward, the more overhang which gets me nervous. Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1