Fleetwood Neon Modified for off road

silvrzuki77

explorer
Trial and error during mock up. I dont have the option of moving the axle. My thought is to place a larger water tank behind the axle to balance it out. Might be an option for you?

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Wow, how'd it get that wide, my trailer outside tire to outside tire is about 80", same as my JK's with 35s.
Since you have that sturdy frame, and with your skills, you can make a rear tire/Jerry can/something carrier to put weight towards the rear precluding messing with axle position.

MountainD

Adventurer
I am planning on jerry cans on sides behind each tire. No spare-- just using the one on the 90. D90 width is about 71". Brand new frame= new axle position anyways..-- so have an empty mounting slate...

MountainD

Adventurer
Just got my 3" Trail Gear springs and shackles! Bushings and U bolts also came in. The modified shackle mount and spring mounts should hopefully be here soon!New Springs and shackles.jpg

MountainD

Adventurer
image.jpgGreat advice. Shocks and bumpstops will come once I see how the trailer sits. Thanks for keeping an eye out for this novice!

Shackle Hangers arrived!!

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
It's out of the garage! Rides smooth. Spent all day tightening/replacing screws and one rivet, sanding off rust spots, then priming and painting the frame. Holy cow this thing has lots of storage space. It swallowed all my crap except one tub full of the kitchen.

trailer 027.jpg

MountainD

Adventurer
Nice to see it on the road, Baddandy! How is the rear wheel position? It could be the camera angle, but it looks like it is fairly far back. I am trying to determine where to place my axle as we speak as I know that when the springs compress it will move it rearward and I don't want it too far back due to weight distribution (most the weight is in the front of the trailer from dual golf cart batteries in tongue box...). I need to play around with the geometry and I have a little time as my front spring mounting brackets are not due till the end of the week due to vendor shipping error....

I went ahead and drilled all the locations in the bottom of the frame for the (4)31" BAL C-Jacks that are at each corner and installed threaded inserts so I can bolt them on. I also mocked up the springs and installed the shackles on them. My to-do list is getting shorter: Weld on spring mounts, shock mounts and spring pads, fabricate fenders and brake lines, paint chassis, assemble components, and then place and weld trailer box on new chassis. Still a lot to do, but nothing that seems daunting. Parts to still get: Shocks and Hitch, so most my purchases are complete...:)

Spring Mockup april 19 2015.jpg Calm between rain showers...

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I kept my eye out for one for over 2 years, this is the only one I've ever seen for sale west of the Mississippi or south of Canada.
Yup MountainD, the axle sits back almost 2". I mounted these springs exactly centered as the stock ones, but because these are softer, they settled when I got the trailer down on the ground, hence the new position. I may redrill the springpad holes rearward someday if I have issues. Without anything on the tongue, I can lift the front of the trailer, so I think my CG is right over the axle.

MountainD

Adventurer
This makes me really angry that I didn't pull the trigger when I saw a neon up for sale.

I drove 1300 miles to Chicago (and 1300 miles back!) to get mine-- fortunately my wife and I looked at it as a vacation road trip! Don't even want to add up gas costs. But we had a great time. 1 week later, one came up for sale locally.... Almost bought it just out of principle! Good luck with your search if your still in the market...

silvrzuki77

explorer
Neons are awesome! For me a 3 kids needed a little more room. Least pulling behind a E350 they are the same width almost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1