Ford’s new 6.8L V8

phsycle

Adventurer
@tacollie - thanks for the link. I’ll keep an eye on that. Regarding weight, I should be ok with the PW, however, the AT Overland cap may not work out for the family. If it’s not ideal, then my second option is for a FWC. And if I go that route, the payload definitely won’t be enough on the PW. Ford would definitely be the safer option.

@Explorerinil - thanks for the input. Rear room is a concern. The PW felt ok enough but the Ford is noticeably bigger (based on my F150, which has the same cab). I also appreciate the flat floor for the kids or dog. Oh, and the tailgate step is awesome.
Since you’ve owned both, how have they compared driving around and on the trails? The Ford is a foot longer and wheelbase is 11” longer as well. Turning radius is a couple feet more. But what’s the real world driving experience been like? I don’t live in a big city, so tight parking is not a problem. I’m just wondering if you noticed significant difference between the two.

Last edited:

Riversdad

I owned a power wagon and traded it for a tremor. The power wagon was a great truck, and people often complain about the payload. I got to say, I towed and hauled with it and it did fine, I really think the reduced payload number is to cover their butt, the truck does sit up high and have a soft suspension. I could see some average person loading the bed down and taking a sharp turn at high speed and rolling the truck and blaming the manufacture. The power wagon really does tow and haul a moderate load and trailer very well. With that said, I got rid of mine, for a few reasons, and these were things that over time I simply could not live with. When ram updated their HD trucks in 19, they put the new generation interior of the 1500 in the HD trucks. Ram uses a larger cab on the 1500 and stuck with the old cab on the HD trucks, with this said the HD trucks lost allot of room vs the older gen, the back seat was simply very tight with a lack of leg room. This was the first thing I couldn’t stand, the second was the dial shifter, yeah it worked fine and I didn’t hit my knee on it like some people have said on forums, and I find that to be total bs, as I am 6’3. The dial shifter was just weird and annoying, I missed the column shifter. The 3rd thing I couldn’t stand was the 6.4 hemi, I hated the MDS and 4 cylinder mode and the hard to find 0w40 oil it took. Plus I feel that engine design has a serious flaw with the valve train tick and issues they develop over time. I just see that engine as disposable, but it does make decent power. Other than those issues the power wagon was great, the lockers were slow to engage and sometimes wouldn’t, ram really needs to fix that, the locker in my f250 engages evertime and is instant.

Now for the tremor, I love the cab room, flat rear floor with a ton of room. I love the collumm shifter and simple, overbuilt 7.3. The only negative on the truck I have found was the factory halogen lights, i absolutely hate them and have changed them out. This is the first truck that I truly love everything about it (accept for the halogens).
I bought a 21" Ford F-250 with Tremor package after driving Rams for 28 years. I had planned on getting a Powerwagon but as you said, the back was just too tight for 3 large dogs and I couldn't get past that dial shifter.
So far I really like the Ford except for the crappy mpg's, but I expected that with a 445 and the aerodynamics of a barn.
Another plus. I took it for a 1034 mile drive to pick up my Scout and it was very comfortable and I only had a little soreness in between my shoulders after 17 hours of driving.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Friend is on 2yrs with his custom ordered LB 250 7.3 Tremor he went from a 2500 service bed Dodge Diesel. He loves it very happy with it. Uses it for his construction company and hauling his boat. He bought two more 250 7.3 service trucks for his company 1.5 yrs ago and all his guys really like them. He’s all in… His big top favorite is the easy maintenance and no issues.

Ninelitetrip

Friend is on 2yrs with his custom ordered LB 250 7.3 Tremor he went from a 2500 service bed Dodge Diesel. He loves it very happy with it. Uses it for his construction company and hauling his boat. He bought two more 250 7.3 service trucks for his company 1.5 yrs ago and all his guys really like them. He’s all in… His big top favorite is the easy maintenance and no issues.

He was able to order a Tremor with an 8 foot rather than 6.75 foot bed?

Explorerinil

Observer
I bought a 21" Ford F-250 with Tremor package after driving Rams for 28 years. I had planned on getting a Powerwagon but as you said, the back was just too tight for 3 large dogs and I couldn't get past that dial shifter.
So far I really like the Ford except for the crappy mpg's, but I expected that with a 445 and the aerodynamics of a barn.
Another plus. I took it for a 1034 mile drive to pick up my Scout and it was very comfortable and I only had a little soreness in between my shoulders after 17 hours of driving.
I bet you enjoyed that recliner chair aka front seat on that drive. FYI my7.3 tremor with 35’s and 4:30 gears gets the same mileage as my former power wagon.

Explorerinil

Observer
@tacollie - thanks for the link. I’ll keep an eye on that. Regarding weight, I should be ok with the PW, however, the AT Overland cap may not work out for the family. If it’s not ideal, then my second option is for a FWC. And if I go that route, the payload definitely won’t be enough on the PW. Ford would definitely be the safer option.

@Explorerinil - thanks for the input. Rear room is a concern. The PW felt ok enough but the Ford is noticeably bigger (based on my F150, which has the same cab). I also appreciate the flat floor for the kids or dog. Oh, and the tailgate step is awesome.
Since you’ve owned both, how have they compared driving around and on the trails? The Ford is a foot longer and wheelbase is 11” longer as well. Turning radius is a couple feet more. But what’s the real world driving experience been like? I don’t live in a big city, so tight parking is not a problem. I’m just wondering if you noticed significant difference between the two.
The tremor is easier to steer and handles better. I’m guessing this is due to the electric assist steering gear and stiffer suspension. The hood on the ford is flatter and boxier and not rounded like the rams, you can see allot easier out front. Yes the ford is much bigger and longer, parking you’ll want a space in the back. Also remember this is one big truck with a tall large cab. My former ram with a 3 inch lift and 37’s easily fit in my garage. My tremor bends the top garage door seal, thus barely fitting. On the trails, the power wagon would fit better in tight spaces and maneuver better. However with the tremor I fold in the mirrors, the rear locker works instantly unlike the power wagon locker which was hit and miss. I’ve gotten used to the tremor and find it very easy to traverse ruff terrain. I typically engage the rear locker and if it gets really bad, then 4 wheel drive, apply the brakes slightly and the front limited slip locks up.

one downside to the tremor, I smacked the front bumper hard on a rock on the drive side and ruined the bumper. If you off-road allot, level it out and get that front end up some or get a higher clearance bumper. I have not leveled my tremor because I want it to fit in my garage.

for mods I just have some BD designs lights in place of the factory halogen, some led headlights and now an ARE topper on the way.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks @Explorerinil It’s surprising that the SD is that much taller than the PW. They looked about the same to me but I’ve not seen one side by side.
The rear lockers on my F150’s have all performed well. Glad it works well in the SD.

My most favorite place to go is the San Juan’s in SW CO. I’m sure either of these trucks will get me through the “trails” out that way. Ones I fit down, anyway. I give up some of the offroad prowess with the SD but I think the trade off will be worth it. I still love the way the PW looks (over the SD), but the smarter choice is probably the Ford.

Unfortunately, I still haven’t heard back from any of the dealers. I may have to just call them next week when I’m back from the break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design