Give me the scoop guys...

ExpoScout

Explorer
I'm looking at getting a Discovery...but I'm a little hesitant due to "stories" I've heard in the past.

However, after looking at my options, I still keep coming back to the Discos...they have all the features I want and are very affordable (to purchase) these days.

So lets just say im looking at 1998-2004 models. What are the key things to look for, avoid, etc when purchasing one. I am a mechanic by trade (well used to be) but I've never worked on a Discovery before. Is this a vehicle that I will be able to work on myself? Or should I brace myself for getting my wallet emptied at the dealership should something happen?

Thanks

Wander

Expedition Leader
Do you want to use it off road? If so I can help narrow down the search years for you. The 00-03 DII's (and the late 99's I believe) do not have center diff locks that many feel hinders them on the trail. The 04's do have a CDL and are generally more sought after. Anything before late 99 are Discovery I's. Finding the right one is key as there are a lot of dogs out there. Due to the popularity and unique style of the Disco's many where owned by people that did not maintain them properly which is how some of the horror stories you hear got started.

Momrocks

Adventurer
I will give you my opinion and the experience it’s drawn from. I had a 96 US spec Discovery, V8, auto for 6 months while I lived in Germany. It was a dent and ding free rig with tan leather and 50Kish miles. I had never owned a Rover, always domestic 4x4s. It belonged to a civilian employee on Ramstein. When I saw it for sale, I was stoked. I was drawn to it with fantasies of Camel Trophy legacy in my head. It was clean as a whistle, drove nicely (save a small exhaust leak) how bad could it be its 5 or 6 years old and low miles? I bought it and instantly beamed with pride. I had a roof rack consisting of a quarter mile of tubing and a green oval badge so I instantly shared a part of a legacy of conquering Africa and Camel Trophy routes.

The PO did disclose that the drivers power window did not work, no problem it has a small exhaust leak I will be fixing too. Now is when the fun began. I took it home with the temp tag, had my German friend suggest mechanic to repair the exhaust and ordered a regulator. The window regulator was over $250 and I disassembled the door and installed it but it didn’t work. I was so mad at myself for spending the jack for a regulator without proper troubleshooting. Well, long story short it was the regulator. I got a bad one out of the box. One more replacement regulator and I am back in business.

I drove up to Kapaun AS for a USAEUR vehicle inspection (much more lenient than a TUV insp) to get tags. I hit a coin op car wash because I saw some seepage from the T-case output, I am good to go. I rolled in over the pit, dinged for drive shaft joint worn. The rest or the inspection was good now it’s road test and light check. All lights and signals worked. On command I sounded the horn. BEEep and then nothing? My lights were still on when I started the horn but they shut off when the horn did. I had blown a couple of fuses. INSPECTION FAIL! I was given a form with discrepancies so I could return to the inspection when corrected. It took me two weeks to clean up most every connection I could locate. Still blew fuses. I ended up replacing the horn, the left tail lamp assy (used) and using the parts of the remaining two to overhauled the right sides lamp assy. Finally I am ready. Back to the inspection station with a new rubber driveline joint installed and fuses that won’t blow. PASS! These hiccups could have happened to any vehicle, I am back to my Camel Trophy fantasy.

Drove the Disco back and forth to work trouble free for two weeks. Went to Popeyes Chicken for lunch, drivers window did not work…Argh!!! That ended up being another regulator. Maybe a bad batch? I also decided to take on the electric seats that didn’t work. They were getting power but no movement, hum or buzz. I priced a replacement unit, sticker shock so I decided when I get the time I would rebuild (jury rig) it myself…flash forward, that never happened.

After about a month of thinking, “I got ahead of all the nagging used car issues”, I go to the Hospital at Landstuhl. When I am ready to leave, the Disco isn’t. It’s Friday so I get my wife to tow me to the house with the Grand Caravan. During that emasculating episode, I was having no fantasies London to Cape Town or Camel Trophy. This time was fuel pump. Several people I described the problem to guessed right away. I was down for a week waiting for the fuel pump. Finally it arrived, my weekend is set. The job was easy save draining the tank. I found out it was easy because relatively recently, it had already been replaced. The rig was only 50,000 miles? Bad batch of pumps?

Somewhere between the dead fuel pump and the next 2-3 months of wondering if I would be able to drive after dark or at all, I had an epiphany. I am living in central Europe and spending my weekends under a leaky truck with the hopes that it will be ready to take me to work on Monday. I am wasting way too much opportunity to keep this auto on the road. Nobody can reasonably justify that much labor and expense to keep an $8500, five and a half year old rig in service. What elese can I be doing with my time...IN EUROPE. I put it up for sale and bought an Audi 100 for $1000.

Sorry for the long winded tale. I just wanted to share my observations and why I have that opinion. Not so much for you, but the Rover guys that can smell a negative comment from three forums away. My advice to you is stay away from a Disco. I sort of chuckle to myself when hear all sorts of people who will say, “mine’s been zero trouble except…. “ or “they’re just fine if you stay up on the PM.” IMHO, these are classic rationalizations. If you want it for the styling and the Camel Trophy fantasy, great, I understand that. Emotions are valid reasons for purchase, just don’t make excuses or skewed claims. Compare the expectations you have for any used car and see how Discos stack up, not well in my book. YMMV, and I am sure I will hear about it.
:peepwall:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
First things first, where in NC are you located?

If you are close to Wilmington, Raleigh, Greensboro or Charlotte we can get you in touch with local disco owners so you can have a look and determine which year is best for you.

Agree with the above comments on the 04 being the one in demand. However, CDL can be added to any disco for $250.

-Sam

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I will give you my opinion and the experience it's drawn from. I had a 96 US spec Discovery, V8, auto for 6 months while I lived in Germany. It was a dent and ding free rig with tan leather and 50Kish miles. I had never owned a Rover, always domestic 4x4s. It belonged to a civilian employee on Ramstein. When I saw it for sale, I was stoked. I was drawn to it with fantasies of Camel Trophy legacy in my head. It was clean as a whistle, drove nicely (save a small exhaust leak) how bad could it be its 5 or 6 years old and low miles? I bought it and instantly beamed with pride. I had a roof rack consisting of a quarter mile of tubing and a green oval badge so I instantly shared a part of a legacy of conquering Africa and Camel Trophy routes.

The PO did disclose that the drivers power window did not work, no problem it has a small exhaust leak I will be fixing too. Now is when the fun began. I took it home with the temp tag, had my German friend suggest mechanic to repair the exhaust and ordered a regulator. The window regulator was over $250 and I disassembled the door and installed it but it didn't work. I was so mad at myself for spending the jack for a regulator without proper troubleshooting. Well, long story short it was the regulator. I got a bad one out of the box. One more replacement regulator and I am back in business.

I drove up to Kapaun AS for a USAEUR vehicle inspection (much more lenient than a TUV insp) to get tags. I hit a coin op car wash because I saw some seepage from the T-case output, I am good to go. I rolled in over the pit, dinged for drive shaft joint worn. The rest or the inspection was good now it's road test and light check. All lights and signals worked. On command I sounded the horn. BEEep and then nothing? My lights were still on when I started the horn but they shut off when the horn did. I had blown a couple of fuses. INSPECTION FAIL! I was given a form with discrepancies so I could return to the inspection when corrected. It took me two weeks to clean up most every connection I could locate. Still blew fuses. I ended up replacing the horn, the left tail lamp assy (used) and using the parts of the remaining two to overhauled the right sides lamp assy. Finally I am ready. Back to the inspection station with a new rubber driveline joint installed and fuses that won't blow. PASS! These hiccups could have happened to any vehicle, I am back to my Camel Trophy fantasy.

Drove the Disco back and forth to work trouble free for two weeks. Went to Popeyes Chicken for lunch, drivers window did not work…Argh!!! That ended up being another regulator. Maybe a bad batch? I also decided to take on the electric seats that didn't work. They were getting power but no movement, hum or buzz. I priced a replacement unit, sticker shock so I decided when I get the time I would rebuild (jury rig) it myself…flash forward, that never happened.

After about a month of thinking, “I got ahead of all the nagging used car issues”, I go to the Hospital at Landstuhl. When I am ready to leave, the Disco isn't. It's Friday so I get my wife to tow me to the house with the Grand Caravan. During that emasculating episode, I was having no fantasies London to Cape Town or Camel Trophy. This time was fuel pump. Several people I described the problem to guessed right away. I was down for a week waiting for the fuel pump. Finally it arrived, my weekend is set. The job was easy save draining the tank. I found out it was easy because relatively recently, it had already been replaced. The rig was only 50,000 miles? Bad batch of pumps?

Somewhere between the dead fuel pump and the next 2-3 months of wondering if I would be able to drive after dark or at all, I had an epiphany. I am living in central Europe and spending my weekends under a leaky truck with the hopes that it will be ready to take me to work on Monday. I am wasting way too much opportunity to keep this auto on the road. Nobody can reasonably justify that much labor and expense to keep an $8500, five and a half year old rig in service. What elese can I be doing with my time...IN EUROPE. I put it up for sale and bought an Audi 100 for $1000.

Sorry for the long winded tale. I just wanted to share my observations and why I have that opinion. Not so much for you, but the Rover guys that can smell a negative comment from three forums away. My advice to you is stay away from a Disco. I sort of chuckle to myself when hear all sorts of people who will say, “mine's been zero trouble except…. “ or “they're just fine if you stay up on the PM.” IMHO, these are classic rationalizations. If you want it for the styling and the Camel Trophy fantasy, great, I understand that. Emotions are valid reasons for purchase, just don't make excuses or skewed claims. Compare the expectations you have for any used car and see how Discos stack up, not well in my book. YMMV, and I am sure I will hear about it.

Note that every problem this poster mentioned was an electrical problem, save the leaking transfer case output and driveshaft donut. I too have a 96 Disco and have had a lot of strange electrical problems. The only one that has stranded me is the fuel pump. I ran the original one to 155K before it went though. Not bad service in my opinion. The other electrical problems I've had have been the windows. Rear ones quite together at the same time. I bypassed the window ECU, which is a common problem, and they still don't work. The front ones work, but not when the headlights are on. I have to turn them off to roll the windows up or down, then back on again. Inconvenient sometimes. The interior lights also don't work. No problem with the seats on mine, as they are manual ones.

As far as engine and drivetrain go. It has been perfectly reliable and is still going strong at 162K. I have driven it back and forth across the U.S. without problems other than oil leaks, but it does have a few miles on it now, so the seals are due for some attention. The engine still has great compression and doesn't burn any oil that I can notice between changes. Oil pressure is 40 psi hot at speed and 18 psi at idle. Near new figures even with the high miles. I honestly think the fuel pump would have gone over 155K if I hadn't run it really low and out of gas a couple of times. The truck is my daily driver and I have confidence to drive it anywhere. Besides the electrical problems and thirst for fuel, it's been great. My RRC has also been a very reliable vehicle. I bought my 95 Disco for the nearly new set of tires on it, because I needed some for the RR. It wouldn't crank over and so was cheap to buy. I took it home and had it going in thirty minutes. All that was wrong was a loose starter wire. It has 100K and the compression and oil pressure are the same as the 96. I bought all three of my Rovers for a total of 3000.00, and they all run fine. I just do normal maintenance on them and have been working on replacing the leaking seals and fixing the faulty electrical accessories.

The bottom line is that if you want a vehicle that hardly ever has any little problems or quirks, and that you can just get into and drive the wheels off of getting from A to B, then buy something else like a Toyota. However, if you love the unique personality of Rovers, their superb off road performance, and are willing to work through the quirks yourself, then maybe you are the type of person suited to owning a Rover. If so, you will probably be one for life once you have one. If not, then you may be one of the many who has felt burned because their Rover was not an Accord, and will go tell everyone how bad their experience was. That's OK, and completely understandable. It helps keep the prices dirt cheap for those like me. :)

Last edited:

jgdisco2

Adventurer
The last of the best; 99 Disco I.

i agree that being the best d1, but the best d2 is hands down the 04.in my short driving history ive owned 3 disco's. my first was a 96 d1 which put the love spell on me to the discovery and all LR's and dont want any other kind of vehicle. i loved it and had no problems when i sold it with 170k miles on it(probably shouldnt have sold it) but i found a 99 d2 at an auction and loved it. the d2's have alittle more creature comforts than the d1 in being they are alittle longer, nicer seats ect... this truck i built up into a decent trail rig while still being a good DD. this d2 wasnt as well maintained by the previous owner like my 96 was so i had a few more problems with the truck because regular maintanence wasnt performed, BUT let me add it left me stranded ONE time due to an idler pulley that broke off due to age. all the other stuff was small and easy to fix. the 4.0 engine was a good engine and very easy to work on and im no mechanic. the one thing i didnt like about the 99 was no CDL in the cab, the early 99 d2's came with the right transfer case to lock but no handle was installed in the cab to lock it. now you can get away on most occassions with just the traction control but CDL is the way to go!

in Jan of this yr i finally got smart and found the best disco ive ever owned, the 2004. the 4.6 is such a better engine that the 4.0 imho. still get the same mpg that i did on the 4.0 but i have a slight upgrade in power. also the 2004 is the only yr that the CDL was installed in the cab as was stated earlier. before i bought a new truck i made sure to find one that had been properly serviced and maintained by the PO. this truck that i have came with a folder about an inch thick with service history, even had the HG done at the dealership!:wings: ive had no problems(knock on wood) with this truck so far and as long as i stay up to date on my maintenance i doubt ill have any problems.

i cant make it anymore clear that these trucks love preventative maintenance and run like tops when they are taken care of..even if you offroad it and build it up. it makes me mad when people say that LR's are crap and expensive to work on yada yada but alot of the work can be prevented if you just stay on top of everything! there are many good parts people as well that are really good at what they do and offer parts at way better prices that the dealership.

im in goldsboro(eastern NC) and would be happy to help you find a good disco or any LR for that matter..there are plenty of good guys around here that know their stuff alot better than i do as well so dont hesitate to ask!:smiley_drive:

shameless plug of my truck below:ylsmoke:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tourbound65/URE7#5531725896134540370

David Harris

Expedition Leader
On the choice between a D1 and D2:

First I have to say that I am partial to the D1 over the D2 for a few reasons:

1. It was built on the same proven chassis and powertrain as the Defender and Range Rover Classic. This means it has the full-floating axles front and rear, instead of the semi-floating front axle of the D2.

2. The rear overhang is less, which makes it better off road than the D2. On the other hand, the D2 has the advantage of more space in the rear and better third row seating.

3. The D2 has a much more complex computer controlled electrical system with many more luxury accessories and features which in my opinion add more potential problems over the long run.

4. The design of the D2 is much less geared to user serviceability with things like wheel bearings which are built into the hub, so that the whole thing has to be replaced at 500.00 a pop, no way to check the ATF without getting under the vehicle and pulling the plug on the tranny, a front driveshaft that can't be lubed and hence breaks taking the tranny with it, and again, systems that are all integrated electronically and require more complex and expensive diagnostic equipment than the D1 and earlier Rovers.

5. Problematic plastic radiator and thermostat set-up.

6. Plastic bumpers rather than steel.

7. A mentioned above, no CDL linkage on most D2's except the 2004.

8. Many head gasket problems beginning around 2000 due to worn tooling on
the 4.0 engines which dated back to the 1960's. Note that this doesn't effect the 4.6 which is a great engine and an upgrade for the D1 as well.

As has been stated above, the D2 was compromised more for on-road driving, so is more comfortable and refined than a D1 for that. Off-road, the D1 has a slight advantage stock. You can mod the D2 to fix many of its shortfalls in this regard, except for the extra rear overhang.

A drawback to the D1 is that they are getting long in the tooth now and good, rust free examples with decent miles are harder to come by. However, they are also a cheaper platform to start with and so you can invest the dollars saved in more mods.

No matter what Rover you get, thoroughly check and overhaul the cooling system, hoses and belts when you get it go through all of the maintenance religiously. These aluminum motors don't take kindly to overheating. Don't take it to the dealer except as a last resort unless you have truckloads of money. They are pretty simple vehicles and easy to fix yourself. Once you do, it becomes "yours", if you know what I mean.

Just my opinions . . . :ylsmoke:

David

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Do you want to use it off road? If so I can help narrow down the search years for you. The 00-03 DII's (and the late 99's I believe) do not have center diff locks that many feel hinders them on the trail. The 04's do have a CDL and are generally more sought after. Anything before late 99 are Discovery I's. Finding the right one is key as there are a lot of dogs out there. Due to the popularity and unique style of the Disco's many where owned by people that did not maintain them properly which is how some of the horror stories you hear got started.

Obviously, as I am on ExPo, I enjoy offroad driving, but that is not the plan for the discovery....should I get one. Of course I want whatever I get to be capable of offroad driving, but I don't expect to ever do more than light trails an gravel roads with it.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Sorry for the long winded tale. I just wanted to share my observations and why I have that opinion. Not so much for you, but the Rover guys that can smell a negative comment from three forums away. My advice to you is stay away from a Disco. I sort of chuckle to myself when hear all sorts of people who will say, “mine’s been zero trouble except…. “ or “they’re just fine if you stay up on the PM.” IMHO, these are classic rationalizations. If you want it for the styling and the Camel Trophy fantasy, great, I understand that. Emotions are valid reasons for purchase, just don’t make excuses or skewed claims. Compare the expectations you have for any used car and see how Discos stack up, not well in my book. YMMV, and I am sure I will hear about it.

Thanks for your honesty :beer:

ExpoScout

Explorer
First things first, where in NC are you located?

If you are close to Wilmington, Raleigh, Greensboro or Charlotte we can get you in touch with local disco owners so you can have a look and determine which year is best for you.

Agree with the above comments on the 04 being the one in demand. However, CDL can be added to any disco for $250.

-Sam

I am near Greensboro, but closer to Winston actually.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Just to give you guys some more perspective, I have two diesel international scouts, one of which is my old rusty off road beater...though it's still in progress.

Basically what I have been looking for is something that is 4wd, newER, that will end up being my daily driver.

Obviously, I haven't decided 100% on a Discovery yet...still searching my options. The fact that you can get a 10 year old Disco with 75k miles and in immaculate shape, for $3k-$6k is incredible. Though I'm sure as you can understand it also makes me wonder why they are so cheap. There are a ton of them at low prices...my issue is trying to narrow the search down.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Just to give you guys some more perspective, I have two diesel international scouts, one of which is my old rusty off road beater...though it's still in progress.

Basically what I have been looking for is something that is 4wd, newER, that will end up being my daily driver.

Obviously, I haven't decided 100% on a Discovery yet...still searching my options. The fact that you can get a 10 year old Disco with 75k miles and in immaculate shape, for $3k-$6k is incredible. Though I'm sure as you can understand it also makes me wonder why they are so cheap. There are a ton of them at low prices...my issue is trying to narrow the search down.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it

If you have a dedicated offroader, why would you want a gas heavy, AWD daily driver? Wouldnt it be smarter to find something fuel efficient especially if you wont be doing what the disco was intended for - wheeling. Pretty much all of the reasons to get a disco fall away if you are exclusively using it to drive around the city. If you absolutely must have a SUV, get something with 2WD to save on gas.

Also, if you already have a project(the scout), why buy another one?
-Sam

SeaRubi

Explorer
This thread, like so many before it, is a blight on the forum.

a) You do not qualify for LRO if complaining about power seats and windows is high on your list.

b) Momrocks - 6 months and nary a mention of off-road use? I'm on my 5th 4x4, each one has seen dirt inside of 200 miles of taking possession of it. I don't see how your post can possibly be any kind of indictment on a vehicle known and loved for it's ability off-road when you never even hit the dirt.

c) The rover forum is littered with so many of these threads already. we need to find the good ones and put them in a post to turn into a sticky. who else is with me in being tired of seeing "should i buy a rover" threads, when it's obvious that the OP has not searched any of the prior material, or even the most basic of information about the vehicle in the first place?

I know that misery loves company, but I'm so tired of seeing every rover forum turn into a badly edited used car pitch.

-grumpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1