Give me the scoop guys...

Viggen

Just here...
Yes asking and getting are too different things when selling a car. That one has been detailed well and looks nice in the photo. It looks like it was garage kept as the paint does not look faded on the top surfaces, I don't see a garage in the house behind it so it could be this person picked it up cheap and is flipping it or got it for less and is now scared by the repair costs and is looking to dump it. Getting a full history report will help a lot. Do you know anyone will carfax access? You can pay for reports if not.

The driveway is wet and everything else is dry. He took the pictures almost immediately after washing it. Mine looks shiny and detailed while its wet. When its dry, thats when the pinstripping and fades are evident. Carfax is a good place to start but thats not enough to know for sure. You need to look at panel gaps, paint match (when its dry), frame condition, fenders, etc... Oh, AND RUST UNDER THE CARPETS!!! F Carfax, rust is the killer as that 1" thick rubber deadening traps moisture everywhere.

ExpoScout

Explorer
The driveway is wet and everything else is dry. He took the pictures almost immediately after washing it. Mine looks shiny and detailed while its wet. When its dry, thats when the pinstripping and fades are evident. Carfax is a good place to start but thats not enough to know for sure. You need to look at panel gaps, paint match (when its dry), frame condition, fenders, etc... Oh, AND RUST UNDER THE CARPETS!!! F Carfax, rust is the killer as that 1" thick rubber deadening traps moisture everywhere.

Well, you have to remember I have scouts...I've had more rust under carpets than all of you Rover guys combined. :p

I'll be sure to check everything out

Wander

Expedition Leader
I look at carmax for more than just crash info-I look at where is was registered and how many times-it can also help you spot problems by the mileage -i.e. if owner logged x miles but owner 2 did much less over the same time period it could indicate the car was off the road being repaired. It at least gives you some clues to help. I saw a car listed as no rust once but the car fax showed the first owner was from Wisconsin-highly doubful it doesn't have rust from those salted roads. It's just another tool to use in the tool chest of checking out a car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1