Give me the scoop guys...

MatthewThompson

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat as you, I've been trying to put a trip together for 3 years or so too. My route is planned, mapped, etc. I either decide the scout isn't ready or the money or time isn't there. If I could have an entire fleet of amazing offroad vehicles I would.

Seems like putting the time and attention into the Scout would be a better use of resources. A Disco is like having a high-maintenance woman. Dumping the girl-next-door isn't always the best idea.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Seems like putting the time and attention into the Scout would be a better use of resources. A Disco is like having a high-maintenance woman. Dumping the girl-next-door isn't always the best idea.

I agree. You say you don't trust the Scout as an everyday vehicle. Just put the money into making it really good. If you get a Rover, no matter how new, you are going to end up putting a lot of money and time into it, from bringing the maintenance up to snuff and repairs to mods, etc. From what I am hearing, you don't really want the Rover as an offroader, so there's little point in getting one in a practical sense. Others vehicles will do the road duty better.

ExpoScout

Explorer

I appreciate the insight, and the analogy does make perfect sense, believe it or not. The scout is not insulated well, doesn't like to stay dry in heavy rain or snow, loud, prone to rust...all of those fun things. It more or less ends up being my summertime vehicle. Obviously, If I am used to a scout, the Discovery's are going to feel like heaven, so Im not worried about the comfort.

I just want something that is 4wd, can stay dry in the rain, has a heater, room for my crap, and is reliable if I do my part. It will go camping, it will go fishing, it will drive in snow, etc. I have always asked that my vehicles at a minimum perform those functions. The only difference between this topic and most on the forum is that I have no plans to immediately turn this thing into an overlander.

If the Disco can fill that role for me though, it may be in the running. Like I said before, the ones that are '01s with 80K for $6k are tempting, but make me wonder about some things.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Like I said before, the ones that are '01s with 80K for $6k are tempting, but make me wonder about some things.

Tempting but can be real traps. The early D2's can be a real nest of problems, and not little ones either. Think head gaskets, blocks, etc. Those are the years when the 4.0 was on it's last legs. There are ones that didn't even make it to 50K before they blew. That's why they are so cheap on the used market. If you are willing to budget in head gaskets and maybe other work, then go ahead. If not, then don't assume that 6K is going to get you a reliable vehicle.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Tempting but can be real traps. The early D2's can be a real nest of problems, and not little ones either. Think head gaskets, blocks, etc. Those are the years when the 4.0 was on it's last legs. There are ones that didn't even make it to 50K before they blew. That's why they are so cheap on the used market. If you are willing to budget in head gaskets and maybe other work, then go ahead. If not, then don't assume that 6K is going to get you a reliable vehicle.

Yeah, I kinda figured something was up. This is the type of info I was looking for. An '04 wouldn't be out of the question, but they are more difficult to find. I have already seen several for sale in the area though. I'm certainly not opposed to a D1 though. I'll keep checking out my options. Meeting up with some local guys might be a good option.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Read post 20. Drop me a PM in a week or so and we can arrange for you to have a look at my disco. You are about an hour or so from me. That should give you fair insight as to how a modded disco drives, etc.

For reference it's an 03 with 04 engine and transfer case. The best of both worlds.

-Sam

ExpoScout

Explorer
Read post 20. Drop me a PM in a week or so and we can arrange for you to have a look at my disco. You are about an hour or so from me. That should give you fair insight as to how a modded disco drives, etc.

For reference it's an 03 with 04 engine and transfer case. The best of both worlds.

-Sam

Excellent, thanks a ton.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I kinda figured something was up. This is the type of info I was looking for. An '04 wouldn't be out of the question, but they are more difficult to find. I have already seen several for sale in the area though. I'm certainly not opposed to a D1 though. I'll keep checking out my options. Meeting up with some local guys might be a good option.

D1's are a better deal, in my opinion. Cheaper to buy than D2's, more simple and reliable, old school Rover technology. A poor man's Defender as some say. As far as comfort, they will still blow your Scout out of the water, though not as luxurious as a D2. More than enough comfort. I drive one as a daily driver with a family everywhere. Good heater, AC, very comfortable seats, mostly water tight. Sunroofs and window seals can develop leaks and need attention. Goes anywhere off-road and parts are relatively inexpensive if you go to the right places. Hell, the best thing is to buy a whole parts vehicle as a spare for 500.00. You're a mechanic so you can do everything yourself with ease on these, even if you haven't worked on one before. The thing with these is that the entry price is very low and you can try it out and see if it is for you.

David

ExpoScout

Explorer
D1's are a better deal, in my opinion. Cheaper to buy than D2's, more simple and reliable, old school Rover technology. A poor man's Defender as some say. As far as comfort, they will still blow your Scout out of the water, though not as luxurious as a D2. More than enough comfort. I drive one as a daily driver with a family everywhere. Good heater, AC, very comfortable seats, mostly water tight. Sunroofs and window seals can develop leaks and need attention. Goes anywhere off-road and parts are relatively inexpensive if you go to the right places. Hell, the best thing is to buy a whole parts vehicle as a spare for 500.00. You're a mechanic so you can do everything yourself with ease on these, even if you haven't worked on one before. The thing with these is that the entry price is very low and you can try it out and see if it is for you.

David

This is what I'm leaning towards actually. If I can avoid the problematic years for the 4.0 I think I can deal with everything else.

The "problems" that have been mentioned mostly seem to boil down to creature comforts, which in comparison to what I'm used to, don't really seem that bad.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I'm glad you're finding some real answers.

I'm hoping the relative bad mood observed in several areas of this forum are a seasonal affect due to the shorter days and will pass.

If you don't like someone's question, skip the thread and find another and save yourself the anger. Being angry at a question on an internet forum is pointless and time wasted that will never lead to anything so why bother? Not a question to be answered.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I'm glad you're finding some real answers.

I'm hoping the relative bad mood observed in several areas of this forum are a seasonal affect due to the shorter days and will pass.

If you don't like someone's question, skip the thread and find another and save yourself the anger. Being angry at a question on an internet forum is pointless and time wasted that will never lead to anything so why bother? Not a question to be answered.

I have had nothing but good experiences here, lots of friendly people as a general rule. Doesn't bother me. But yeah, I stay away from threads where I don't think I can keep my clashing opinions to myself.

Back to my last post...I know it's a D2 thats listed, but with all the extras it seems like a good deal to me...but of course I'm still new to the whole Rover world.

Explorer
When the bar has fallen this low, how can I possibly stay shut up and pretend to be the soft spoken, politically correct, liberalized backstabbing passive aggressive Internet User that everybody seems to want these days instead of having a clear position on something?

You remind me of my friend from England. It didn't matter if he was right or wrong, I always appreciated that he spoke his mind.

:clapsmile:clapsmile:clapsmile:clapsmile

Wander

Expedition Leader
Sean Jones-the owner of Blue Ridge has a good rep and is a dyed in the wool Rover guy. That one sure does have the kit on it and the replacement engine can be good thing. I don't see it mentioned that a CDL lever was added but for the use you mentioned that may not be a big issue.

The price seems a little high to me but if the vehicle condition supports it then I'm sure there is some negotiation built in. Finding out it's history is essential so head on to Asheville and spend some time with Sean.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Here's the "scoop" that no one else is going to give you.

Gas mileage sucking roof rack that will be never used, except to carry gas around town near gas stations, probably a shovel, and a Big 5 explosion to a state camp site situated 1 mile from the Interstate, check.

snorkel safari equipped, check. for all of those deep river crossings you expect that might delay you from picking up the kids after school.

black-ops painted 18" alloy rims, check. this is a real shame, too, because the 16" D2 alloys look really good and are somewhat rare. The steelies aren't bad, either.

redneck KC's, check. KC's were cool on my Jeep. It annoys me that the owner didn't retain the smiley face yellow covers. If you're going to give a middle finger to truck snobbery then do it right. The KC's would be perfectly legit with the blaring yellow covers. Instead, the owner has left the covers off to fool the unknowing into thinking he paid big bucks for nice lights. Put the covers back on and run it, or donate them to the nearest Jeep raffle.

unused winch, check. no surprises here. make sure it's not seized. the SG bumper and winch is a solid bonus.

tons of truck bling and mall terrain tires, check.

Often spotted in: driveways, city parks, McDonalds drive-thru.

I'm shocked there isn't an array of carefully ordered stickers in the rear cargo window. The photobug types like to order them by the color pallete of the sticker. Other people will order them alphabetically. yet another theme is to order them carefully by size and shape. You know who you are.

They probably sold it to buy an X5, which is doing everyone a favor. You can sell the rack, the snorkel, and the lights and get enough back for better wheels and tires.

But I know already that you wouldn't. You chose this vehicle for the same reasons the prior owner "built" it. And none of those involve taking it off road. The first time out will involve a dent to the fender of Prescious, inappropriate trimming of trees that catch on the empty roof rack, and much wailing and belly aching about a sliced sidewall and/or damaged rim.

Perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1