Give me the scoop guys...

ExpoScout

Explorer
Perhaps I should be more blatant and add [sarcasm] every time I post about cupholders. As for the d1 vs d2 argument, if I didn't have a 4runner project coming up in the next few months, I'd have my eyes on an RRC. Not to clutter the thread but if someone was in the market for a d1, I would personally choose an RRC over a D1.

-Sam

Well, I didn't mention it because the thread was straying off course as it is...but I have been searching for them as well. Problem is, that opens up a whole new set of questions for me. (desirable years, etc etc)

Thanks...it looks nice. I wish it was closer. :(

Yes. RRC's are great and there are advantages to the RRC over the Discos, such as the extra rear interior space of the D2, with a better departure angle due to the way the RRC is angled up at the rear. Better center of gravity. Smoother ride and better articulation in stock trim. Iconic styling. (Isn't this one of the only vehicles to get into the Louvre?)

Downsides are increasingly rare in decent condition = greater cost to buy. Some parts less available than the Discos, such as body items.

Anything else about RRC's I should know? I'm not hating what I'm hearing. I had always thought (or more like assumed I guess) that they would cost more for upkeep. And obviously they always appeared to cater more to the "luxury" crowd. But of course I am slowly learning that many of my misconceptions are unfounded.

Now that's emotion . . . (embedded Camel Trophy video +1)

:26_13_1::26_13_1:

I agree...nice video too.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Well, I didn't mention it because the thread was straying off course as it is...but I have been searching for them as well. Problem is, that opens up a whole new set of questions for me. (desirable years, etc etc) Anything else about RRC's I should know? I'm not hating what I'm hearing. I had always thought (or more like assumed I guess) that they would cost more for upkeep. And obviously they always appeared to cater more to the "luxury" crowd. But of course I am slowly learning that many of my misconceptions are unfounded.

Check this recent thread out:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50886

David

Viggen

Just here...
Im in the middle of getting my hands on a grey market 1983 RRC 4 door to serve as my second car, behind the D1. The RRC will eventually become the camping truck and the D1 will shed its body, grow a Defender HCPU cab and sprout a stake body/ tray rear and serve as the rough and tumble truck.

If youre looking at an RRC, youre looking at almost the same electronics as a D1 and the same overall wheelbase so manueverability is pretty damn awesome. Theres more space in length but not in stacking height, which is where the D1 is better. Big deal on the RRC: heater core...

ExpoScout

Explorer
Im in the middle of getting my hands on a grey market 1983 RRC 4 door to serve as my second car, behind the D1. The RRC will eventually become the camping truck and the D1 will shed its body, grow a Defender HCPU cab and sprout a stake body/ tray rear and serve as the rough and tumble truck.

If youre looking at an RRC, youre looking at almost the same electronics as a D1 and the same overall wheelbase so manueverability is pretty damn awesome. Theres more space in length but not in stacking height, which is where the D1 is better. Big deal on the RRC: heater core...

I just got off the phone with Sean at Blue Ridge Rover Works. I was calling just to get some info on the D2 with all those hideous modifications :)P). Anyway, long story short he's working on a 93 RRC LWB that will most likely be up for sale soon. White on white and he said virtually rust free and very good shape as far as RRCs go. I'm gonna take a look at it when I go up next weekend along with the D2.

In the mean time I'm gonna test drive as many as I can in the area to get a feel for them.

jrose609

Explorer
I have D2 cupholders in my D1. They are handy.

I run 235/85R16's on 5.5" Series wheels on my D1. My wheels are white. My truck is blue.

I have tattoos.........Well, one big one. I've thought about getting a LR tattoo, but wife says no. Says it's "emotional" and not "practical." Think she's been talking to Scott.

Attachments

• ilikeike.gif
    ilikeike.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 77

Viggen

Just here...
I just got off the phone with Sean at Blue Ridge Rover Works. I was calling just to get some info on the D2 with all those hideous modifications :)P). Anyway, long story short he's working on a 93 RRC LWB that will most likely be up for sale soon. White on white and he said virtually rust free and very good shape as far as RRCs go. I'm gonna take a look at it when I go up next weekend along with the D2.

In the mean time I'm gonna test drive as many as I can in the area to get a feel for them.

Good. Drive as many as you can. Ive never been a fan of the LWB. 8" in the rear seat only makes no sense to me and as Ill never be in the rear seat to enjoy the limo-esque room, I dont see the point. Add to that the fact that the rear seats dont fold forward enough to take advantage of that extra 8" of room, you get no real value out of it. He used to have a Hunter edition SWB. If he still does, get your hands on that one. I was asking him about it but never got any word back on it from him. Ill stick with the two or three grey markets Ive found for sale and try to get my hands on those instead. I want a 5 speed RRC so badly.

Ive got a tattoo but I wouldnt get an LR tattoo. Car related tattoos are completely stupid. Example:
cavtat_450.jpg

Roverhound

Adventurer
Please don't tell me you would pay 10k for a 2001 D2. I don't care what's on it, that's way too much. I don't care how reputable someone is, I don't care if Jesus Allah Buddha is selling it, that's too much.

jrose609

Explorer
Good. Drive as many as you can. Ive never been a fan of the LWB. 8" in the rear seat only makes no sense to me and as Ill never be in the rear seat to enjoy the limo-esque room, I dont see the point. Add to that the fact that the rear seats dont fold forward enough to take advantage of that extra 8" of room, you get no real value out of it. He used to have a Hunter edition SWB. If he still does, get your hands on that one. I was asking him about it but never got any word back on it from him. Ill stick with the two or three grey markets Ive found for sale and try to get my hands on those instead. I want a 5 speed RRC so badly.

Ive got a tattoo but I wouldnt get an LR tattoo. Car related tattoos are completely stupid. Example:
cavtat_450.jpg

I was being sarcastic. I would never get a car-related tattoo. We could start a whole thread on stupid tattoos.

Paladin

Banned
I believe that Land Rovers are best used as close to stock as possible. I learned the hard way that the more they are changed the more depressed they become. They await you as a faithful servant and a willing companion, and in return they ask for your patience, your respect, and your commitment.

Ok, I'm pretty emotional about vehicles too but... it is... just a hunk of steel, plastic, rubber and glass.

Your truck has a name, doesn't it?

Storz

Explorer
I am in Fuquay, have a 02 Disco SE. You're more than welcome to come and check it out if you'd like. This is my 2nd disco :)

Viggen

Just here...
Ok, I'm pretty emotional about vehicles too but... it is... just a hunk of steel, plastic, rubber and glass.

Your truck has a name, doesn't it?

R, mine has a name and it usually varies from time to time. Sometimes its endearing and sometimes itll make a sailor blush. Depends on the situation. I do love my truck though. Every car that I have owned for more than a year, I have an emotional attachment to. I have had 4 new (as in current model year) cars in the last year and a half or two and the ones that I cant get connected to are sold. Im not into driving an appliance. The D1 is a needy little pig but all the time that I have spent on it only makes me like it more. Its weird. I should hate it. Normal people who hate it. Im the opposite.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Man, you Land Rover guys are brutal!

Hey, dropping in on occasion and reading the latest long flame thread is more entertaining than most of what is on TV. All the drama, silly comedy and antics.

This Land Rover section is a good place for people to get passionate, work out their frustrations and go after those posers who use the wrong brand of axillary lighting. It is a good place to hone your one upmanship skills.

Yeh, Land Rover Disco owners tend to be on the brutal side, but it is what makes them happy. We all have our hot buttons and need to vent anger and frustration at times. Heck my button is easy. Just say that the cure of any Land Rover weakness is to swap in a Toyota part. You will have me gearing up for a flame fest in no time (but it would be useless now as I very seldom visit the Land Rover section of this forum and likely will not read any additional postings to this thread).

Just think of the Land Rover section as a virtual Colosseum where the non believers get thrown to the believers and where there are exhibition bouts among believers who differ on the silliest of things.

It can be pretty entertaining if you can manage not to get emotionally involved.

By the way, I really think the 1980 Scout II with the SD33T option is one of the truly great trucks. Take care of them. At 30 years they have been around much longer than most lesser trucks will be. Get those rust problems taken care of. As to what modern truck to get? Go with your gut feelings and stay with it for as long as your gut feelings tell you it is still a good choice. Personally, I would pick an Exterra over a Disco anytime. But I'm no expert on them as I drive a class B RV that has decals with my web site URL and for my truck's sponsor (gotta love the free goodies you get for putting a decal on your truck).

Enjoy your flamefest & be happy in your work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1