Hallmark let me down

geodasher

Observer
smlobx, glad you have had a good experience with their support. I had several design and build issues that I tried to deal with remotely with limited success. The conversation usually started with them denying responsibility. I worked through their unprofessional attitude.

As for the faucet leak, the sink and faucet assembly they installed in 2014 had no user serviceable parts and was difficult to access. They said it was no longer made, they didn't have a supplier and replacing it with what they currently used would require a major rebuild of the counter. So, I found the original assembly in stock at an rv parts shop and I asked Hallmark if they could install it if I brought it to them. No problem they said.

There were several other things I wanted them to fix so a trip was reasonable. They fixed the other things but bollixed up the sink assembly swap for which they took no resposibility--they called it an "act of god." I call it inept work. I understand that the pandemic has been hard on businesses but that is no excuse for mistreating a customer.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The way I read it is that he purchased a Hallmark camper, had a faucet leak in a difficult-to-service/no-user-parts-available sink assembly, wants Hallmark to fix other items as well, so he's willing to drive 1000mi for work at the original manufacturer; maybe he likes to drive and wanted to support the mfr? (I've done the same, driving almost 500mi to HPI a few times now, so that their experts could install their own products and I'd have full confidence it's done right, and there's no question about their lifetime warranty coverage for Made in USA products. Note; I did have my fab shop clean up detail of their install, and brought it up to my HPI guy. He agreed and apologized).

And he trusts Hallmark that they tested their work as they told him, so there's no real reason for him to second guess the mfr and test himself, especially if he doesn't need to use the sink. (Similar issues occurred on mine, where my rig was at a fab shop, then my dealer had used my camper for some shows and events, my rig was then at another fab shop, and so I hadn't even used the sink or the propane myself for ~5mos yet, and apparently my dealer hadn't either and the mfr hadn't tested post production...so when I used my camper for the first time and had a water leak from a fitting under the sink, and then I had a long-term propane leak later as well, thankfully my dealer fixed both correctly for no charge/no questions asked--Why haven't you used the sink or heater yet?--instead of me driving 2000mi to the mfr. And now I have a few more warranty repairs that need taken care of too. I don't suppose Hallmark has any dealers--I don't see any listed on their site).

But then later when using the sink, he finds their repair leaking and hose kinked, decides to have the work fixed locally this time, contacts Hallmark to ask them to refund him for the correct repair and they declined to reimburse for their own lousy workmanship--of which they couldn't even simply apologize which wouldn't cost them anything.
Sorry to hear geodasher.
The only thing that you could have been done differently from my perspective would have been to call Hallmark when you found the leak/kinked hose in order to advise them of the issue, send them pics, offer to get 2 estimates for a local repair (instead of driving 1000mi again), and then ask how you can be reimbursed for the repair. That might have put them on less of a defensive posture. Who knows if it would have changed the outcome, but possibly.

BTW, I know of at least 1 here in OR who loves his Hallmark, and while I haven't been in it, it looks nice from the pics.
And yes to the comments about the quality from most of the "big RV players" like WGO, Jayco, Thor, Pleasure Way, it's incredibly sad how downright crappy their workmanship and products are, when compared to that from other companies. But it's many of "us" Americans who've supported their crap, vs not buying it and demanding considerably higher value, so we've made our own bed and now we get to lay in the piss.

Last edited:

geodasher

Observer
Sorry to hear geodasher.
The only thing that you could have been done differently from my perspective would have been to call Hallmark when you found the leak/kinked hose in order to advise them of the issue, send them pics, offer to get 2 estimates for a local repair (instead of driving 1000mi again), and then ask how you can be reimbursed for the repair. That might have put them on less of a defensive posture. Who knows if it would have changed the outcome, but possibly.

I did contact them as soon as I learned of the sink problem. Sent pics and asked how I might go about getting their work fixed locally. They refused to accept any responsibility. Now I see why with their recent bankruptcy filing. Can't say I'm surprised based on phone conversations, small talk at the factory while waiting, and how they treated me. One question going forward for them is who will supply the composite panels and other parts needed for new builds?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I did contact them as soon as I learned of the sink problem. Sent pics and asked how I might go about getting their work fixed locally. They refused to accept any responsibility. Now I see why with their recent bankruptcy filing. Can't say I'm surprised based on phone conversations, small talk at the factory while waiting, and how they treated me. One question going forward for them is who will supply the composite panels and other parts needed for new builds?

Ah, I missed that detail.
Poor that they refused to accept responsibility for work they just performed. Businesses who start treating customers like that won't be around long...and whala...recent news.

If CF Maier(used to make Earthroamer cabins) was their supplier, and they owe CFM $1.75M for fiberglass, they're going to have to scramble to find a supplier as renowned as CFM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design