Help me pick a handgun

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I would never limit myself to a single country. I buy German cars because they're the best. I buy American tools because they are the best.
Well, technically, you bought a Czech tool if you think about it. Says the guy who drives a Japanese-made Hilux, eh? Anywho, my tools were made in Springfield, MA, and Southport, CT... I do think first and foremost you have to use what feels right to you. Doesn't matter if it has the 'right' place of manufacture if you're in the hospital or dead.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Well, technically, you bought a Czech tool of sorts... Says the guy who drives a Japanese-made Hilux, eh? Anywho, my tools were made in Springfield, MA, and Fairfield, CT... I do think first and foremost you have to use what feels right to you. Doesn't matter if it has the 'right' place of manufacture if you're in the hospital or dead.

No, I bought Craftsman tools. I own a Czech, a Russian, and an American gun. I own two German cars, a Japanese compact truck which is not a hilux, and an American fullsize truck. Like I said - I don't limit myself to any manufacturer or place of manufacture. I do try to avoid China as much as possible, and have refused for the last decade to own a Toyota - but that's just because I hate their interiors and their brakes.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Funny thing is... one of my favorite weapons I own is as American as apple pie. A Springfield XD 45. (made in Croatia!! .. NO KIDDING).. LOL

Hey if YOU like a particular weapon and YOU can shoot well with it and YOU are comfortable with it...., that's all that matters, really. :sombrero:

I do like those XD's - some day, when I have a gun safe and a budget that doesn't call for $600 trucks :victory:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
No, I bought Craftsman tools. I own a Czech, a Russian, and an American gun. I own two German cars, a Japanese compact truck which is not a hilux, and an American fullsize truck. Like I said - I don't limit myself to any manufacturer or place of manufacture. I do try to avoid China as much as possible, and have refused for the last decade to own a Toyota - but that's just because I hate their interiors and their brakes.
LOL! I've always considered firearms as tools. ;-) Yeah, Toyota, I'd consider replacing mine with something with a superior interior and brakes when it dies. It clicked over 220,132 miles (corrected to about 240,000 when you consider the +/- 15% tires/gearing mismatched for the last 9 years) on the drive back from skiing today so I guess I have a while to worry about it. Silly foreign crap. Good thing about mediocre brakes is it's not really much of a problem with only 120 HP. We only own the one truck, so manufacturing diversity is not in our vocabulary.

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Sorry if I've been a little crabby. my mother in law just moved in with us. I can't seem to find a way out of this one at the moment. Speaking of "cheaper" guns.. i have been fairly impressed with the KelTec line. I have a small 32 caliber that is really really small. I know, I know, 32 cal right... well, I always remember some advise I heard a long time ago. .."The best gun in the world is the one you have with you".

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Sorry if I've been a little crabby. my mother in law just moved in with us. I can't seem to find a way out of this one at the moment. Speaking of "cheaper" guns.. i have been fairly impressed with the KelTec line. I have a small 32 caliber that is really really small. I know, I know, 32 cal right... well, I always remember some advise I heard a long time ago. .."The best gun in the world is the one you have with you".

Don't even worry about it - One must always remember that text can not convey emotion. In person, you will find me to be one of the most thick-skinned and sarcastic people ever. I really do appreciate your opinion, and if we ever get to meet around a campfire maybe we can swap guns and fire off a few rounds to compare back to back...

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
LOL! I've always considered firearms as tools. ;-) Yeah, Toyota, I'd consider replacing mine with something with a superior interior and brakes when it dies. It clicked over 220,132 miles (corrected to about 240,000 when you consider the +/- 15% tires/gearing mismatched for the last 9 years) on the drive back from skiing today so I guess I have a while to worry about it. Silly foreign crap. Good thing about mediocre brakes is it's not really much of a problem with only 120 HP. We only own the one truck, so manufacturing diversity is not in our vocabulary.

Haha - it's funny... I recommend Toyotas to my non-car-guy friends because they are the logical choice. But when I was selling and renting cars, I grew to absolutely hate the ergonomics and the feel of the interiors. I think they're great vehicles that are horribly suited to my needs.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/75/products_id/52387

52387.jpg

Cheap is cheap. I'm all about saving money. But I'm careful when I choose my handgun/firearms.

Here is another good choice. And it's made in the USA.

Many other very good USA Choices out there!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/75/products_id/52387

Cheap is cheap. I'm all about saving money. But I'm careful when I choose my handgun/firearms.

Here is another good choice. And it's made in the USA.

Many other very good USA Choices out there!

I'm careful too - thus why I chose the CZ! Looking forward to experiencing for myself all the accuracy and quality that I have been reading about and researching for the last 6 months.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
What tangible benefit is there to "buying American" when it comes to firearms?

If your argument centers around Ruger semi-autos then you have already lost:victory:

maXTERRA

Adventurer
I've got a CZ75sa in.40 I bought maybe 10 yrs ago when they were a but cheaper than some of the other guns ($350-ish).
Been a great gun and very accurate shooter, being the single-action trigger.
Feels very good in the hand , too!

No complaints here at all on their quality.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
What tangible benefit is there to "buying American" when it comes to firearms?

If your argument centers around Ruger semi-autos then you have already lost:victory:

The benefit comes from a belief that we do not live in a world economy. It also becomes an especially moot point when one buys used - I doubt the 1989 Communist government of the Czech Republic much cares at this point that I bought one of the guns that was made for their police force.

Similarly, I'm not sure how much the people of West Germany were affected by my decision to purchase a 1986 Porsche instead of a 1986 Corvette.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The benefit comes from a belief that we do not live in a world economy. It also becomes an especially moot point when one buys used - I doubt the 1989 Communist government of the Czech Republic much cares at this point that I bought one of the guns that was made for their police force.

Similarly, I'm not sure how much the people of West Germany were affected by my decision to purchase a 1986 Porsche instead of a 1986 Corvette.

For that matter, isn't buying a used anything kind of the same thing as buying an import? Either way, the current US manufacturers aren't getting your money.

I would never buy a new S&W revolver, for example, not when you can get a decent used one for hundreds less. And unlike other products, firearms generally don't wear out, so buying used is just about as good as buying new.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
For that matter, isn't buying a used anything kind of the same thing as buying an import? Either way, the current US manufacturers aren't getting your money.

I would never buy a new S&W revolver, for example, not when you can get a decent used one for hundreds less. And unlike other products, firearms generally don't wear out, so buying used is just about as good as buying new.

Not only that, but depending on when the revolver was made, they may well be far, far better built than the ones made today. Of course, they may also be worse built (if built in the late '80's/early 90's). Do some research and check serial number ranges.

EricRichards

To late for your question but-

The one handgun everyone should own is... a .22!
Choose a semi-auto or a revolver, that depends on your taste. Though the down side to a semi is the magazine or more exactly its need for one. Other than that, they are equal.
Now as to the pros and cons:
Cons-
Not a MANS pistol!
Can't shoot and cook your food at the same time-lack of muzzle blast.
Not a MANS pistol!
Can't brag that you shoot a MAGNUM!

Pros-
Cheap to shoot. A box of 550rds is the size of a 6 volt battery and cost less than 100rds of 9mm.
Not a MANS pistol!
Any one that can hold it can fire it.
You can shoot a 1000 rounds and not even feel it.
It can be used for HD/PD or for survival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1