Help me pick a handgun

DarinM

Explorer
I took my Sigma .40 to an indoor range yesterday and fired 100 rounds through it. Definitely is a different feeling gun from what I'm used to - most recently a S&W Model 19 .357.
Overall I was satisfied with how it shot. The trigger pull does take some getting used to and the time to reacquire the target seemed to take me longer than with the .357.
I took my proficiency for my Texas CHL with it today - another 50 rounds - 20 from 3 yds, 20 from 7 yds and 10 from 15 yds. I put all but 4 shots on the primary figure of the target, with probably 80% of them in about a 6 inch grouping at center mass.
Not great shooting, but for my second day of shooting the gun I can live with that. And it was good enough that I passed my proficiency.
The gun takes down very easily and is easy to clean. The magazine release is a bit awkward, but I am getting used to it. It fits my hand well and is very lightweight due to the polymer frame.
I think it's too big to be a good concealed carry weapon, but I'm not planning on carrying much. I mainly wanted the license to be able to carry concealed in my vehicle when I'm traveling and with the reciprocity agreements that Texas has with so many states, I'm going to be able to do that - assuming those states have similar laws.
I'll give the Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 one and 1/4 thumbs up. For the price $299 with either a $50 rebate or 2 free magazines (I chose the mags) - I don't think you can beat it.
Happy (and safe) shooting!

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I mainly wanted the license to be able to carry concealed in my vehicle when I'm traveling and with the reciprocity agreements that Texas has with so many states, I'm going to be able to do that - assuming those states have similar laws.

That's an important point and one worth hammering home. People with CCW permits who plan to travel to other states need to be very aware of what reciprocity is and what it is not.

Reciprocity means the other state will grant you the privileges of CCW but only under the terms of their state, not the terms of the issuing state.

The reason that's important to know is because CCW permit laws vary widely by state. CO, for example, has a very lenient CCW law, probably one of the most liberal in the nation. A CO permit holder can carry concealed almost everywhere except a Federal building, an elementary/junior high/high school, or a state/local government building where they have metal detectors. There are no restrictions in CO against carrying in state parks, colleges/universities (though there are usually college/university policies against carrying weapons), government buildings without metal detectors, banks, bars, nightclubs, or restaurants.

However, many other states restrict carry in all government buildings, and quite a few states prohibit carry in bars. Some states prohibit carry in any establishment that sells alcohol of any kind - meaning that if the Denny's has a liquor license, you cannot carry there on your permit.

A CO CCW permit holder could get into a lot of trouble if he simply "assumed" that he had the same privileges in TX when carrying on his CO permit that he would have back home in CO.

Now, having said all that, just FYI, your TX CCW permit is not needed to carry in your vehicle in CO. In fact, many Western states permit you to carry a loaded, concealed weapon in your vehicle without any permit whatsoever. ;)

DarinM

Explorer
Now, having said all that, just FYI, your TX CCW permit is not needed to carry in your vehicle in CO. In fact, many Western states permit you to carry a loaded, concealed weapon in your vehicle without any permit whatsoever. ;)

You can do so in Texas as well without a permit.

I was mainly concerned about the states that have more restrictive laws for non-permit holders. For example, I travel regularly through Oklahoma. It's illegal to carry a loaded, concealed weapon in your vehicle in Oklahoma unless you have a license. And it would just take some research to find out what each state requires before traveling.

captblack

SE Expedition Society
Good thead to follow and a lot of good information. Personally, I have a MK III for just plain fun and a P95 for a little more power (but is still fun to shoot). Here in Georgia, it makes a good carry gun as well.

Still looking for the perfect .45 but for some reason, they want a lot of money for the one I think is perfect ... Colt 1911 just like Uncle Sam made me learn to shoot.

KG6BWS

Explorer
Good thead to follow and a lot of good information. Personally, I have a MK III for just plain fun and a P95 for a little more power (but is still fun to shoot). Here in Georgia, it makes a good carry gun as well.

Still looking for the perfect .45 but for some reason, they want a lot of money for the one I think is perfect ... Colt 1911 just like Uncle Sam made me learn to shoot.

check out the Para Ordnance LDA. Its a fullsize 1911 frame, but double action only. The LDA stands for "Light Double Action. Doesnt have an exposed hammer, but it comes back when you pull the trigger. Even though its DA, the trigger is not even remotely heavy or stiff. Its just flat out AWESOME!!! Buddy of mine had a Colt 1911 Govnt Model, tried my Para, and ended up selling his Colt.

Its also a very reliable, and accurate, pistol. As long as I clean mine, when Im done shooting, or every 700 to 800 rounds, I dont have any problems. The only ammo that mine just flat DOES NOT like, is Wolf. Put Remington, Winchester, Federal, handloads...eats them all just fine. Put Wolf in it, and it wont make it halfway thru the first clip before it jams.

If you like the 1911, I HIGHLY recommend the PO LDA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1