Hindsight = 20/20...what did you wish you had left behind? What did you need?

Wiley

Adventurer
the fact that everyone would be flagging you down for a ride

Happens all the time, I hate waving back as I drive away

Just gut the plumbing! I can't say enough how awesome our rooftop vent has been...

The headliner is curved, so wasnt sure what it would do to the install, I will look at yours and see how they work. Sure I could ditch the headliner too but im pretty sure its holding up my reflectix, not the glue, as all the velcro glue came off everything 1st day in the Yucatan heat.

I reiterate:

EXCEPT the steering wheel is on the RIGHT side. Nothing is free.

Probably obvious to most of us but this is a huge negative...I metup with a guy in a Jasper and followup him on the Mx1 in baja, needless to say I watched him dangerously attempt a pass or two of a slow moving truck to no avail, he was pretty much driving blind in that regard.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Probably obvious to most of us but this is a huge negative...I metup with a guy in a Jasper and followup him on the Mx1 in baja, needless to say I watched him dangerously attempt a pass or two of a slow moving truck to no avail, he was pretty much driving blind in that regard.

I have driven 40,000km from UK scandinavia, russia, mongolia, syria, jordon, etc back to the UK again in RHD Discovery. You really need a co-driver when overtaking. You also need a clear distinction on the words you use, with road noise and stereo etc "go" and "no" sound very similar, luckily we realised this by mistaking a "go" for a "no" and not pullinging out when there was space rather than the other way around! Merging onto a highway was also tough with a pretty huge blind spot, again relied on each other as co-driver.

Saying that I now live in Aus and am preparing a truck i will do panam and africa in, the truck is RHD as you cant drive a LHD over here.

Bip Bip

Observer
RHD is not really a problem after 45 000 Km our only dent came from a horsekick in ES! You should be driving slowly anyways.

It is however a magnetic attraction for too repetitive discussions at checkpoints.

One more thing- based on all the shock and awe the RHD gets us - we figure it is a 'anti' theft device in itself.

Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
this ended up being much longer than I thought it would...

It's been 4 years since I returned home so my list isn't as accurate as it would have been back then but I think the important thing to remember is perspective and location. My perspective or approach to my trip was to see the natural world first, the small towns and backroads second and cities fell somewhere down near, if I'm here I might as well enjoy it. In CA you are never very far from a small town or village. In SA you may be hundreds of miles away. I drove a stretch through Bolivia and Chile that was 600 miles between towns and saw exactly 0 people in 5 days. Location will dictate what you need and what you carry. I carried my down jacket stuffed in the bottom of a bag for 3 months before I used it. Then wore it pretty much every night for 3 weeks when the winds would pick up in the high Andes.

I won't get into the vehicle discussion as it is a long debate and I didn't buy a rig specific for the PanAm I took the one I already had.

I will also say that I was a single guy in an 80 series Land Cruiser so I had plenty of room for excessive gear.

I LOVED my RTT but there were a dozen nights or so where I slept inside my car so I understand the benefits of both. There were quite a few times in cities where the height of my truck and secure parking did not agree with each other. But I would never exchange that challenge with the comfort and simplicity of my RTT. It also helped that I've known the guy who imports Eezi-Awns from South Africa for 15 years so he sponsored me with my tent. The cost of a tent may outweigh the benefit but that wasn't something I had to consider. I also added an extra layer of mosquito netting around the entire inside of the tent. While in CA and parts of Colombia and Peru I could sleep in the tent with no covers and not be concerned about bugs. I had sheets pillows and down comforter in there (as well as my sleeping bag stored in the truck) for when it got colder. In retrospect and having perfect knowledge of my route I would have left the comforter behind and taken a lighter sleeping bag until I got to Colombia and then purchased those items there. However, I never wanted my trip to be dictated by something I had or didn't have so despite only using them once or twice (in the mountains near Puebla and on a volcano in northern Panama) I'm glad I had my cold weather sleeping gear with me.

Fridge. Never would go without it but again I had room. I had the old ARB 60qt. I owned it for about 2 years before I went on the PanAm so I knew how much space it took up and how I would use it. Again I picked it up cheap. $300 so it was as no brainer for me to take. I loved to eat in the small town and villages and load up on my own food in the larger cities as it was cheaper. When I found that deserted beach, or that perfect camp spot in the desert I could stay for a week and not worry about running out of food. It was an easier way to store lots of cold water as well. Which leads me to…

I would have left my 2 5gallon water Scepter cans at home. Wasted space for how easy it was to find water. I too took a steripen and would take it every time, especially for the times I actually used it, but I carried way too much water with me.

I carried 10 gallons of fuel in Scepter cans as well and 2 spares tires. Tires were free so I took 6 but now that I've had 2 different rigs with long range tanks I would have opted for 1 spare and 40 extra gallons of fuel under the truck.

My jetboil. Small, effective, easily stashed and I became quite deft at making a variety of meals out of it.

Machete. Can be bought at any hardware store in CA but I took one with me. It was invaluable. It seemed like anytime I tried to camp in CA I needed just a bit more space or wanted to clear a small patch. It worked perfectly and also used it to chop wood on those few occasions I was able to build a fire. Which means I could have left my ax at home. I don't ever remember using it. It was easy to store and never noticed it at all but one of those things I could have left behind.

I also had a kill switch in my truck. It was a Toyota OEM foglight switch in the stock location but it bypassed the ignition so my truck wouldn't start if it was turned on. Never had to put it to the test as a deterrent but from a personal perspective it made me a lot more comfortable parking my truck and leaving it when I did.

Things I'd leave behind?

I took too many spare parts. I think most of us do and had I needed them my story would be different but I took too many.

My backpacking tent. I used it twice. And by twice I mean two nights. I'm sure I could have made something else work.

In this day and age I took too many books. I had a lonely planet guide for every country I visited but when I was on the road finding an internet connection was not a given or expensive so I used them quite a bit for maps and for finding motels/food. I'm glad I had them and they were invaluable to me but a smart phone and a data plan would do just as well now and free up considerable space in the truck.

Clothes. I'm not sure I could have cut mine in half but at least a third could have been left behind.

I was given a free laptop by my employer at the time (hp) and it was awesome but it was also huge. I hated lugging it around. With the technology now it would be far easier to keep people updated and stay connected.

My tripod. I used it half a dozen times or so but I could have made due without it and it always seemed to be in the way.

First Aid kit. I would have taken one but cut it in half.

Pull pal and high-lift jack. I had them both and they were neatly stored on my rear bumper but never used either and combined they weigh about 150lbs.

Things I wish I'd had (or bought along the way)?

Can't believe I forgot a small day pack. Took a 3 day pack and a camelback but needed a day pack for hauling my camera on day hikes or around cities or towns. I picked up pack in Panama City but paid a 30% premium for it.

Fuses. Carried a lot of spare parts but only 3 or 4 fuses. Had an electrical gremlin pop up in Huaraz Peru and ended up paying a $1 each for 15 20amp blade fuses while trying to locate the problem. Small and easy to pack. Not smart leaving them behind.

Better Spanish. I got by okay but never felt like I got over the hump with the language. Most of it came down to vocabulary but I feel like I missed out on a lot because of language barriers.

Shipping info. I wasted about 3 weeks and a lot of money in both Panama and Argentina trying to get shipping figured out. Back then Expo was a pretty small board and finding info about shipping online was sparse and hard to locate. Could have saved myself a lot of headache and frustration if I'd done my research before I left and got to Panama.

Maybe not appropriate to this thread but I'll add it is advice I'd give about things I learned along the way. Keep in mind I was a solo traveler so this may not apply.

Keep my car dirty inside and out. I never washed my truck so I wouldn't stand out in the shiny SUV with weird plates. It took me way too long, Honduras probably, to realize that I was far less likely to have my truck searched if it was dirty inside as well. This was hard for me as I like my truck very neat and orderly inside. I learned that if it was cluttered and messy the authorities were a lot less likely to search. As such I always kept my dirty clothes bag handy with some trash on top of it. When I rounded a corner and saw a checkpoint I'd dumb few clothes out in the back and throw the trash on the passenger side floor board. I went from being searched EVERY stop to maybe 1 in 10. A quick glance in my messy car and they'd send me on my way. (also helps to pretend to not understand what they're saying)

In CA I played dumb at border crossings. When the kids would also show up begging for me to follow them I would pretend I didn't speak Spanish and whichever kid spoke English seemed to not take advantage of me. I understood what the official were saying and the kids but pretending I didn't just in case they wanted to scheme extra fees/bribes. I've heard horror stories of petty theft and unnecessary ‘fees' at CA border crossings and I didn't have any of those. So I'm guessing this trick worked for me. Not a concern in SA. I'm sure I left out plenty of things but this is what I remember.

Containerized

Adventurer
Great thread topic. Not South America, but I think our experience is applicable to anyone near the equator.

Two people in good health for 18 months traveling around, based on Uganda - South Sudan border. Our primary location is a basic compound (water tower, but no electricity) and more than three hours from closest grocery store. Brought eight North Face Base Camp Bags worth of stuff. I'll list the "loved," "hated," and "wasted"... hopefully it's helpful to others, Africa, PanAm, or otherwise.

Loved:

* WARN Powerplant. I know it gets a lot of ******** from people, but wow was it a great choice. The truck that replaced the FJC has separate winch and compressor units, but for something you're using only occasionally (except during the wet season) this was fantastic.
* Spices bought from Whole Foods before we left London. I read a study in the first year of my Ph.D. that a friend, who was an anthropologist from Oxford, had passed along to me at a pub. It said that people don't miss the foods from their cultures as much as they miss the spices and flavors. I certainly found this to be true. My girlfriend and I both love Asian food (from Hong Kong originally) and having the right spices was a godsend.
* Wifi router. Huge luxury to be able to be away from our "home" compound for a week or two and be able to divvy up a 3G connection between friends in camp or between a laptop, iPhone, and Kindle easily. Must-have vehicle upgrade, in my view.
* Field surgery kit. I managed to get a drill bit buried pretty deep in my finger after only a few weeks in the field. My girlfriend (the medic, thankfully) expertly extracted it and it healed well. The outcome using local (non-sterile, awful) tools would have been very unpretty.
* Hydrocodone and epinepherine. Honestly, these are the key two items from a pharmaceutical standpoint. We carry autoinjector (epipen) epinepherine and a bottle or two of vicodin. Obviously Cipro (for serious intestinal issues or to prevent infection after a serious wound) and Malarone (which just came off patent and is much cheaper now than when we packed for this trip) are important to have, as well.
* Nikka single malt. Wonderful stuff. Not going to start a whisky debate, but bring your favorite. That having been said, there is a Chinese merchant on the edge of Gulu who imports decent stuff and will even have a 750ml of Maker's Mark in the back occasionally - the days of having to bring whisky from the UK to Africa are over; I'm sure the same is true in SA.
* CCI .22LR MiniMag (plus your favorite stuff in appropriate caliber for whatever other weapons you have aboard). Wonderful ammo. Feeds in nearly any weapon, from a .22 pistol to older rifles. Useful for a million things, including putting a sick goat out of its misery on the roadside.
* Kuhl pants. I'd been a devotee of Prana and North Face and most of my pants for travel had always been Prana. I bought two pairs of Kuhl pants and had my tailor take a crack at them before we left (I find it hard to find pants with smaller than a 30" waist). Fantastic product. I have two pairs of the Revolvr model, and they held up to all kinds of abuse.
* Good batteries. This is a key flaw of the iPhone and iPad, you have to carry a spare device if you want a spare - you can't carry backup batteries. To me, it's a fatal flaw. Carry good, fresh batteries for whatever devices are important to you. One extra per device per six months is our rule of thumb.
* BIG inverter. I had a big 1200 watt power inverter in the back of the FJ, which saw a ton of use - and not just outside the compound. When the grid was down in town, it was nice to run a device (or charge a laptop) in the back of the truck.
* Good knives and two or three good pots and pans. There's nothing worse than preparing food or slaughtering a chicken or cutting a fish with a poor knife. We brought our best knives and that was ABSOLUTELY the right decision. Two or three good pots and pans are an excellent use of weight, particularly if they nest in one another.
* DEET (already mentioned in posts above) - dilute it for your washing and put together one more toxic bucket each month for your bed net and other items.
* Books. Huge compromise here, as books weigh a lot and you could fit 30,000 of them in your Kindle. But carrying a few of the right ones can turn around a gloomy, crappy day and make it productive or thoughtful. Huge advantage there.
* Good hand tools. Impossible to come by in the developing world (I've seen a hammer snap in half). They key ones are two adjustable spanners, a ratcheting multi-head screwdriver, and a proper set of sockets. To add to that, needlenose pliers and basic electrician kit is enormously useful.
* Tarpoulin and shower curtain. Bring two of each. Hard to find anything waterproof in Africa that isn't torn, destroyed, smelly, or whatever. Awesome to have fresh ones. Thin gauge and take care of it is better than thick and heavy. The girlfriend loved the shower curtain for privacy in a lot of situations. Applicable to travel nearly anywhere, in my opinion.
* Graphite lube. Get some at your local high-end bike shop or find it online. All lubricants available in Africa are foul, sticky, and gooey. It isn't the 1950's anymore, there are great lubricants available. Bring along some Loctite for when you desire the opposite effect - things like adhesives and lubricants are NOT widely available in the developing world, in my experience.
* Really good drill. Get a really good drill, the kind a builder might have in the box of his Hilux for years. You may feel that you won't need it, but it's striking how often this one tool made life immensely easier. Buy bits meant for specific jobs, not the kind that are coated with unobtainium and claim they can do anything. They'll last longer and your expectations and ego are less likely to be bruised.
* Boots that fit well. Find a pair that fits well out of the box. Break them in, but make sure you could run a 5k in them if needed. Now buy a second pair. Break that pair in. Bring both. This is what we did and it was one of the best decisions of the pre-trip packing/planning.

Hated:

* I brought an extra of every cord and cable we carried. Good idea in theory, but actually cheap Chinese USB cables are available even in the most remote parts of Congo, Sudan, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Somaliland, etc. Stupid to have carried this stuff, in retrospect.
* Small camera cards. I finally gave up and bought a pair of 32GB CF cards. This is a stupid place to economise. Buy the biggest cards your camera and budget will accept; using power in camp to download stuff to your laptop because your camera is full is a bad use of electricity and time.
* Axe. If I knew how often I'd be doing axe work, especially beheading chickens in bulk, I'd have brought a better tool. Again, stupid place to save money. Thankfully, I had a big Chinese butchers cleaver that I'd bought years ago at Stanley Market in Hong Kong. It did very well with some crude boning and slaughtering tasks and made quick work of guinea fowl and other common roadside purchases. Great for jackfruit, as well.
* Inferior sand ladders. Our original plan had not included much travel north of the Ugandan border and certainly no travel north of Juba. As our plans and obligations evolved, we ended up encountering more sand and loose silt (the red, awful stuff that is slick as graphite but sticks to everything during the dry season) than we'd ever planned. I guess I should have gotten the Maxtrax (now thinking of buying Maxtrax version 2).

Wasted:

* Toiletries. We took too much in terms of toiletries. Overall, I would say things like lotion and sunscreen (things you have on your body often) are worth having the XYZ brand of. I feel pretty strongly about this stuff, so I'm not going to have some random crap when I can have my Alba Kona Coffee after sun lotion (learned when I lived on Curacao for a year that this stuff is worth its weight in gold after a day in the sun). But we ended up giving away a lot of our stuff to friends at the end. Overall, probably close to three kilos wasted on personal care stuff due to overpacking (and, likely, over-rationing).
* T-shirts. Every site visit, meeting, etc. seemed to lead to the obligatory free T-shirt with the name of a bank, NGO, local political candidate, or some other nonsense on it. We ended up giving them all away at the end, but it was a waste for these T-shirts to be transported to Africa in the first place (not a single one was made locally).
* Oil. I did oil changes preventatively and frequently. In retrospect, this was a mistake. The oil was very clean the first time I changed it, and this should have been a message to me. In fact, the best thing you can do, in my opinion, with a modern Toyota, is not to do a single fluids change while in country (unless you're in a clean service bay). You're probably introducing more crap into the engine by doing a fluids change. Probably better to run it for 15,000 miles with Mobil 1 than to change every 5,000 and risk contaminating the system with the billions of nasty little bits flying around in the air. I didn't have an issue, but I will do this differently next time.
* Took too many clothes and like the 80 Series post above took too many fuel and water cans. We had two 20L water cans and could have only used one. We had four 20L gas cans and this was crazy overkill relative to any of the distances between stations we encountered, even in remote areas like Somaliland or Sudan or the tripoint region in Uganda.
* Warm clothes. Took too many. Could have gotten by with one hoodie. Short-sleeved officers shirts (the bush sort you see UK surplus) and good pants are all that was needed, plus some t-shirts as well.

Agree with Dave on not washing the truck. Our FJ got washed in Baltimore, America and then didn't get washed again for over two years. In fact, I think that spray-down in Baltimore prior to shipping is still its most recent car wash (I know the subsequent owner and it's unlikely he's washed it...). Believe me, in a few months your truck will be so covered in red African mud and dust that you'll blend right in.

By the way, that "over-rationing" part is a serious problem and something that's hit me on my last three major trips. You have to just realize that you brought a particular amount of X supply to last Y days and it's okay that there's only one package/gallon/can/whatever left of it, because that's how you planned it. I hear this from other friends who plan large deployments of people and resources. We're all so afraid to run out that we don't use what we have. I'm trying to get better about this, but still have not improved much. :(

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I said it better and I mean it even more now.....this is pretty much the most valuable thread on Expo
Huge thanks to everyone posting

Bip Bip

Observer
These latest posts reminded me... I also give thumbs up to bringing:
*FUSES-FUSES-FUSES- the cheap Chinese blade fuses available on the PANAM do not pop but melt into goo, causing me 4 melted wires in my trans harness and 5 nights sleeping in a garage in Tegucigalpa, where gunplay was a nightly spectacle. DUMB

*axe or machete-either work fine
*WD40-although it is widely available in CentAm
*Locktite-again available, bought mine in Mx. Used frequently since the roads rattled stuff loose all the time.

LEAVE behind
***a gun in CA will get you killed
*toiletries are available all over CA- including tampons, even in Colombia (Carfour or Exito)
*the meds and surgery gear - take krazy glue, duct tape and hydrogen peroxide -unless you are a trained md. Dr services are close and cheap on the Panam
*Spices- I have a 15 litre box full of spices and oils and condiments, all sourced on the road. Chinese tiendas in Belize are great, and so are the big stores- Chedrui in Mx, any one in CR, Carfour in Colombia for example.
*The big inverter - take an inverter tailored for your needs. If you do not have a microwave or hairdryer and only your gps, laptop, i-device and camera...150W will do fine. For example I have a 2000W hooked to my 100AH batt on my solar system (BECAUSE at the time the 2000W was cheaper than even a 850W!). Just turning ON the inverter drains half the charge...

CAR WASH
I disagree on a dirty truck for several reasons:
1-a clean vehicle lets you see 'the problem'
2-prevents rust or excessive wear and tear on the vehicle. Imagine not washing-and oiling- following a tour of the saltflats of Bolivia??
3-locals wash their rides seemingly daily. They have pride in their rustbucket and get status points for simply having 4 wheels and a motor. Whether or not your truck is clean you are obviously a rich foreigner (jerry cans, hi-lift jack, 2 spare tires likely with tread NOT shiny smooth, fat driving lights, white skin, ball cap, tattered clothes, flipflops, Oakley shades....are some indicators). Having a dirty ride MAKES you stand out, makes you look like a poser hiding something.

I get stopped frequently, the guys are great and are simply interested in checking us out. No harm no foul.

Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
CAR WASH
I disagree on a dirty truck for several reasons:
1-a clean vehicle lets you see 'the problem'
2-prevents rust or excessive wear and tear on the vehicle. Imagine not washing-and oiling- following a tour of the saltflats of Bolivia??
3-locals wash their rides seemingly daily. They have pride in their rustbucket and get status points for simply having 4 wheels and a motor. Whether or not your truck is clean you are obviously a rich foreigner (jerry cans, hi-lift jack, 2 spare tires likely with tread NOT shiny smooth, fat driving lights, white skin, ball cap, tattered clothes, flipflops, Oakley shades....are some indicators). Having a dirty ride MAKES you stand out, makes you look like a poser hiding something.

I get stopped frequently, the guys are great and are simply interested in checking us out. No harm no foul.

I did have my car washed thoroughly after both trip to the Salar de Uyuni. Also had to wash it to put it in a container. The rains kept it fairly clean. i'm just saying i didn't want it immaculate and shiny all the time.

My point about getting searched was that I still got stopped all the time but instead of having to get out while they searched my car it became more of a chat with them about my trip, where I was from, where I was headed etc. No getting around the checkpoints but you can make them easier.

Wiley

Adventurer
Things i like: I was against an iPhone, but I use it everyday for the computer aspect and it takes 75 % of my pics, and of course music. The arb awning I love after playing the tent pole and tarp game 1 st trip. Solar panel, was against but it's been great and wasn't much more money for what it provided. I think that's it, you really don't NEED much.

I never wash my vehicle, yes a lot of locals have spotless cars, but many more do not... I don't think it makes much of a difference. My inside is overflowing with crap and feel they often are reluctant to search me due to the amount of work. I do have all paperwork in a folder which is easily accessible and organized which certainly makes a difference.

Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
I will say I wish I had done this...

http://www.alongdrive.com/picture-gallery/exploring-our-material-world/

Of course then I would probably have been mocked for how many shoes I took with me but in hindsight it's something I think all Overlanders should do as an exercise but also as a point of sharing. I was alone but I had three friends join me for sections of the PanAm. All 3 complimented me on my organization as thoroughness of my preparation. WE all know how important those things are to day to day life on the road but I think friends and family back home just think it's a glorified road trip. Sorry for the digression but I love Shreesh and Neena's photo and thought I'd share.

southpier

Expedition Leader
i think it's a great idea to take everything out and spread it on a tarp to assess on a regular basis.

this isn't a novel contribution, but i didn't want this thread to slip away!

Bip Bip

Observer
Sorry Dave, I was not mocking you - but describing myself... I did not intent any badness. When you stand out in a crowd there seems little point to believe not washing a car will change that fact. In fact clean cars, the really fancy ones, seem to get preferential treatment. A status showing thing I guess.

Great comment about keeping all documents in a folder. Border crossings go fast as the guys see you are organized and prepared. Less likely to be subject to false demands by corrupt border guys.

Oh one point to make - 45 000kms and counting (currently in Colombia) and I have never stepped out of my vehicle when at a checkpoint or been 'shaken down' by bad coppers. That is simply my experience, it is what it is for what it is worth.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
We have tossed thru the contents of our truck several times, but not sure a tarp is the fastest way to go about it. We typically start in one corner, tear everything out of a cabinet or container and decide what's necessary, the person puts it back while the other is pulling everything out of the next section. This way seems methodical and helps us keep organized. Sometimes we take an item and move it to another area if it makes sense.

Highly recommend folders for all your paperwork. We picked up a bunch of cheap manila envelopes, and we label each one for each country. We even started a new one when we re-extended our Guatemalan visas & CA-4 vehicle permit. Before the border x-ing we'll do our homework and write down current exchange rates along with expected fees and prices for visas, etc. This has been immensely helpful, especially with the famously "unofficial" Guatemalan visa fee. We just point at our written info and say, "that's funny, we were told the visa is free". Border officials bribed so far = zero.

We've also never been completely being pulled-over or "shaken down" yet. Our vehicle definitely sticks out. Of course, we're still in Central America right meow and we've only been on the road for 8 months. We keep our interior clean before we drive off for the day, and at every military checkpoint or border crossing they've just poked their head inside to take a quick peak. One time in Mexico I was actually asked to step out so they could poke around a little, but they were just going thru the glove box and map pockets. I think it was because I was talking too much...we've found if you only answer the questions they ask and keep your mouth shut otherwise, you seem less suspicious or pesky. We also wave like idiots anytime we see police and military on the side of the road, which seems to help too. I think it catches them off guard that we seem so happy to see them and friendly.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Well, This thread has stirred us up. We threw out some egg poachers today as we prefer to have boiled eggs anyway :)

But it is a serious topic. We're often paring down the gear. We do carry a lot of books, but we prefer paper. We trade them with others whenever we can, so dont attempt to carry 2 years worth of books with is.

We "recycle" old clothes to maintenance / cleaning rags and we dont replace our clothes. We are soon going to be in a position of being down to the bare minimum.

We know the old saying "Everything has to have 2 jobs" but things like tooth brushes and cameras are pretty much limited to one job. And that's a good thing!

We started the trip with way too much oils, enough for 2 services of everything. Madness. Oil can be got most places you can get diesel. Maybe not exactly what you want, but plenty fine to see you through. now we carry just a few litres, enough for topups. Probably carry 4 or 5 litres of engine oil. I still have a 3/8 drive set of sockets, and a 1/2 drive set. Crazy, and I'll "donate" a set once I decide which one to loose! That's not an easy decision!

We carry 3 gerry cans. 2 empty, and we will fill them when planning long runs (Over 800km), and only 1 is left full. Loosing space is one thing, but no need to carry extra weight. What's also important is how you have stuff organized. We use clear plastic boxes where we can. Easy to see what's in them, and they stack up, and sort things really well. We even use them for clothes. We also use bungy cords in clothes presses to keep clothes piles sorted.

Great thread!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
As a lazy way to subscribe to this really worthy thread, here's a simple question for those currently or previously on the road:

Could you have downsized your vehicle to a motorcycle and still been happy?

Thanks in advance! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp