I want your opinions on the Ecoboost.....

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The 6.2L GM engine is going to be bada$$ if it's anything like the other 6.0L I've driven. That's alot of engine for a little 1/2ton though.
-
Still, I prefer the 4.6L or 5.0L to the ECO in the F150's. Decent power/economy and it's really simple/reliable (give or take the cam phaser noise). The Ford 6.2L is overkill for the F150 (if that's even available outside of the Raptor). The Raptor I drove was insane, no need for that engine in a normal truck.
-
I'm going to wait to judge the Dodge diesel. Hopefully it's a marginally slow engine with great economy, not a momo diesel.

^^^Too much power??? Why, that's just un-American... :smiley_drive:

Jack

zeke2.0

Adventurer
This is what has me so impressed with the ecoboost. I am still going to wait to drive the new Dodge 1500 diesel and I would like some more information on that new 6.2 from Chevrolet. I hear that both of those engines have a lot of torque at 2000 RPM and up
lib

The Ecoboost makes 420lbs at 2K rpm and stays within 90% of that throughout the rest of the usable rpm range where 99% of your driving occurs. Over on one of the Ford truck forums, I've read about people already putting over 60K on the engine with no problems so far. Ford marketing made a big deal about how strong the engine is and implied it should easily make it to 150K. I don't know anyone who has that much accrued, so have to wait and see.

huntsonora

Explorer
My buddy that just bought his Ecoboost is having some issues with his right now. He was in bad cell but basically something was overheating while towing his trailer. I don't know if it was the engine or transmission. I will get more info tonight but he was less than thrilled.

I'll ask him how big his camp trailer is as well. I do know he was in the mountains in Utah pulling some big hills

zeke2.0

Adventurer
My buddy that just bought his Ecoboost is having some issues with his right now. He was in bad cell but basically something was overheating while towing his trailer. I don't know if it was the engine or transmission. I will get more info tonight but he was less than thrilled.

I'll ask him how big his camp trailer is as well. I do know he was in the mountains in Utah pulling some big hills

Interesting. I haven't pulled a large load yet over the mountains. I hope his problems aren't endemic of the engine.

huntsonora

Explorer
So my buddy will get his truck back from the shop tomorrow but he was saying that the transmission overheated really bad and that the code at the dealership was showing up as his engine overheating. They literally argued with him over the phone until he texted him a picture of the instrument cluster showing high transmission temps and normal engine temps. He said that he took it to Ford last week and they "fixed" it and when he went back up on the mountain he averaged 8.9 MPG and it wasn't running right. His fan kept kicking on, even in the cool morning when he just started it up. Coming down the mountain he had it in 4 Low towing his camper and it wasn't slowing him down, he said he had to ride the brakes.

He left it at the dealership and is supposed to get it back tomorrow but as of right now he is extremely unimpressed. He said something about a sensor or a thermostat or something cooling both the engine and transmission and that is what they are replacing. Don't kill the messenger for misinformation, we talked briefly about it last night before discussing other things

I am disappointed as that ecoboost engine was fun to drive and I liked it better than the Hemi in the Dodge and the 5.3 in the 2014 GMC

zeke2.0

Adventurer
No worries, you're just passing along important info. Fortunately less than 1% of the ecoboost/selectshift combos are reporting problems. I'm looking to rent a travel trailer this summer and will keep this info in mind. I've also been told that the gas mileage drops way down with heavy towing, even with all that torque.
Do you know what elevation he was at when he had these problems?

My worry is what's it's always been concerning Detroit, the more popular something becomes, the more likely poor workmanship and/or defective parts get put in on the assembly line just to keep up the pace.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The dealer group I work owns 16 dealerships, out of those there are four Ford and Four Dodge. We do almost double the power-train repair on Dodge than we do with Ford. The store I work at services over a 100 cars/trucks a day and we have repaired one Eco-Boost F-150 and it was one bad injector.

huntsonora

Explorer
When he was getting 9 mpg on the mountain he wasn't towing. His camp was already set up at that point.

I found a thread online about a guy having the exact same problems. His issues are not resolved as of yet either so I will update this when they figure out what it is. According to a lot of posters they feel that the service bulletin regarding the intercooler might have something to do with it as it fouls up the catalytic converter and that might cause the problems. Who knows

huntsonora

Explorer
The dealer group I work owns 16 dealerships, out of those there are four Ford and Four Dodge. We do almost double the power-train repair on Dodge than we do with Ford. The store I work at services over a 100 cars/trucks a day and we have repaired one Eco-Boost F-150 and it was one bad injector.

So your dealer group shop has only had to do ONE repair on an ecoboost since they came out in 2011 out of 4 dealerships?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
So your dealer group shop has only had to do ONE repair on an ecoboost since they came out in 2011 out of 4 dealerships?
No, the dealership I run the Parts and Service dept has only made one Engine related repair, which was a fuel injector. I can tell you that our California stores have not seen an engine failure yet. I do know that Team Ford in Vegas has replaced two Eco-boost engines.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No, the dealership I run the Parts and Service dept has only made one Engine related repair, which was a fuel injector. I can tell you that our California stores have not seen an engine failure yet. I do know that Team Ford in Vegas has replaced two Eco-boost engines.

In the SHO taurus community, even heavily modified and chipped Ecoboosts, the only failures I have heard about have been injector related. And those rigs were running on the ragged edge, running "test" tunes at the drag strip.

So far I am 100% impressed with Fords Ecoboost line.

EMrider

Explorer
If you have not yey done so I would encourage you to spend some time reading the f150 specific and Ford truck forums on the EB engine.

After doing so, my interest in the EB pretty much faded to zip.

No meaningful MPG benefits, especially when towing, and too many inter cooler related issues for my comfort.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad