I want your opinions on the Ecoboost.....

huntsonora

Explorer
My friend called me this morning to give me an update on his situation. The service mgr at the dealership where his truck is basically told him not to give up on the EB. He said that 94% of the F-150 Ecoboosts sold have had no problems and are working as designed. The other 6% are having basically the same issues he was having and that Ford is actively working on a "fix" on those trucks. He said that his truck went into limp mode and that was the reason he was getting horrible mileage and was having a problem with it bringing his trailer off the mountain. I have found numerous threads detailing the same issue he was having and have not seen where those issues have been resolved yet. Interesting situation for sure.

I will pass on the EB for now and will stay in contact with my friend in Utah to see if his issues are taken care of.

EMrider

Explorer
My friend called me this morning to give me an update on his situation. The service mgr at the dealership where his truck is basically told him not to give up on the EB. He said that 94% of the F-150 Ecoboosts sold have had no problems and are working as designed. The other 6% are having basically the same issues he was having and that Ford is actively working on a "fix" on those trucks. He said that his truck went into limp mode and that was the reason he was getting horrible mileage and was having a problem with it bringing his trailer off the mountain. I have found numerous threads detailing the same issue he was having and have not seen where those issues have been resolved yet. Interesting situation for sure.

I will pass on the EB for now and will stay in contact with my friend in Utah to see if his issues are taken care of.

You'll see numerous threads about this situation on the f150 and other Ford truck forums.

I know that people tend to only post about negative experiences on forums, but even filtering for that bias, the problem seems to be well known and persistent.

I have been looking for clear evidence that Ford "fixed" the problem with an IC re-design in the 2013+ model year trucks, but so far that evidence is lacking.

Net net, I'm just going to wait and watch for another year or so. For sure, most EB owners really do seem to like their trucks.

R

zeke2.0

Adventurer
You'll see numerous threads about this situation on the f150 and other Ford truck forums.

I know that people tend to only post about negative experiences on forums, but even filtering for that bias, the problem seems to be well known and persistent.

I have been looking for clear evidence that Ford "fixed" the problem with an IC re-design in the 2013+ model year trucks, but so far that evidence is lacking.

Net net, I'm just going to wait and watch for another year or so. For sure, most EB owners really do seem to like their trucks.

R

I'm one of those who are happy, but sad to hear about this. Seems like a supplier problem (quality control issue) more than anything. Either way, when I purchase again, I'll still put the EB as a requirement. Saying that, the new Silverado 2500HD trucks have piqued my interest.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Does it not bother anyone else that the transmission overheating issues might not be a problem if they offered a MANUAL transmission? I don't care how nice the engine is if the trans sucks.

....and what about adding a turbo or supercharger to any of the other naturally aspirated offerings? 5.3's go nicely with a little boost.

.....and the rear facing car seats only last a year or two.

I'd get a dodge 2500 CTD crew with a manny tranny, but that's just my opinion of the ecoboost, no personal experience. I see the prices dropping now that the hype has worn off.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I really like the motor. I haven driven an F150 and some police demo vehicles (for work) with the motor and REALLY liked it.
The only issue I would see (if buying personally) is that if you are out of warranty and loose a turbo (or both turbos) it might get a little pricey to repair.

kurtkrum

So I am now going to throw a curve ball into this discussion. I am shopping for a new half ton. I have no brand preference at all. I have driven the toyota tundra, gmc 2014 sierra, dodge 1500, and the ford f150. My requirements are (i) crew cab, (ii) towing kit with decent axle gears, (iii) auto climate control, (iv) skid plates, and (v) decent integration of my iPod and cell phone.

I drove every one of these trucks on Saturday. Here's the good news: Every half ton I drove I liked. Seriously, I would buy any one of them.

The dodge guys are having trouble finding a 1500 that meets my criteria. The GMC guys don't offer their towing kit until fall. The toyota and ford guys have trucks I am interested in right now. The ford is a better truck, but I am a price-motivated buyer and the issues with the Ecoboost are unsettling. Toyota reliability is legendary. The new GMC is incredible...I loved driving it.

I am only at the beginning of my buying process, but I will keep you guys posted on what happens over the next week.

Kaisen

Explorer
The GMC guys don't offer their towing kit until fall.

Um, what?! They offer their towing kit right now

A 5.3L with 3.42 gears tows 9,600 pounds and you can buy one right now, today
Engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, Class IV hitch, wiring, locking differential, and available integrated brake controller

That's MORE than the 5.0L with even 3.73 gears (tops out at 9,300 pounds)
That's the same as the 6.2L with 3.55 gears, and the Ecoboost with 3.73 gears

Toyota's Tundra Crew Max 4x4 with the 5.7L and 4.30 gears (!!) tows only 9,000 pounds

How much more than 9,600 pounds do you need!?!?
Recap:
2014 GMC Crew 4x4 5.3L with 3.42 gearing tows 9,600 pounds, EPA rated 22mpg
2014 Ford Crew 4x4 5.0L with 3.73 gearing tows 9,300 pounds, EPA rated 19mpg
2014 Toy Crew 4x4 5.7L with 4.30 gearing tows 9,000 pounds, EPA rated 18mpg

What am I missing?

Kaisen

Explorer
If by 'tow kit' and 'decent axle gears' you mean waiting for the Max Tow Pkg with 3.73 gears then let's do some math

Transmission Ratios x Gear Ratios = Total Gearing

Toyota 6 speed automatic
1st 3.333 x 4.30 = 14.33
2nd 1.960 x 4.30 = 8.43
3rd 1.353 x 4.30 = 5.82
4th 1.000 x 4.30 = 4.30
5th 0.728 x 4.30 = 3.13
6th 0.588 x 4.30 = 2.53

Ford 6 speed automatic
1st 4.17 x 3.73 = 15.55
2nd 2.34 x 3.73 = 8.73
3rd 1.52 x 3.73 = 5.67
4th 1.14 x 3.73 = 4.25
5th 0.86 x 3.73 = 3.21
6th 0.69 x 3.73 = 2.57

GM 6L80E 6 speed automatic
1st 4.02 x 3.42 = 13.75
2nd 2.36 x 3.42 = 8.07
3rd 1.43 x 3.42 = 4.89
4th 1.15 x 3.42 = 3.93
5th 0.85 x 3.42 = 2.91
6th 0.67 x 3.42 = 2.29

Notice that the Toyota transmission has a tight spread, really needs a high numeric ratio to leverage it
The Ford and GM are pretty close to each other, both having significantly deeper 1st and 2nd gears than the Toyota
So off road, a 3.73 Ford or GM has more leverage than the 4.30 Toyota

It's a SYSTEM, and can't be decided on rear-end gear ratio alone

Given the much higher torque levels of GM's new DI 5.3L , the 3.42 geared GM has more torque in every gear, at every normal rpm over the 3.73 geared 5.0L Ford

Comparing the GM 5.3L with 3.42 gearing to the Toyota 5.7L with 4.30 gearing, the two trucks are within 3-tenths of a second 0-60mph empty, 3-tenths with 1,200 pounds in the bed, and 8-tenths with a 8,500 trailer attached.

Yet every day, empty, the GM would return 4-5 mpg better fuel economy, equal low-rpm off-road power, similar tow ratings, and similar street performance to the 4.30 Toyota. And simply kick the Ford 5.0's tail, being much closer to the EcoBoost with 3.73 gears, which returning better fuel economy than either.

Still want to wait for the 3.73 Max Tow Pkg?

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
2014 GMC Crew 4x4 5.3L with 3.42 gearing tows 9,600 pounds, EPA rated 22mpg

that is nuts! Welcome to the future. Technology is amazing.

ive pulled 6-7k lbs in a 2011 f150 5.4 it did fine, i wouldn't want to drive cross country with a 1/2 ton loaded that much, but the fact that they CAN do it, is amazing.

rockwood

Adventurer
Having watched my mechanic working on Silveradoes and Ford PU, super duties etc, I prefer the way Chevy does it.

kurtkrum

Kaisen I love the way you introduced mechanical facts into the equation.

The GMC is awesome, but because the 2014 is just released, there are no incentives available and it is the highest priced truck I am looking at right now. And I really want the max tow kit with the 3.73 gears, which is not yet available.

Right now the Ecoboost Ford has everything I want and is coming in at the most competitive price. The question is if the Ecoboost motor is reliable or not. The Ford is also my favorite from a looks perspective...although the GMC looks damn good in black as well.

So right now the dealers are all scrambling to adjust price and get my to bite. I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Kaisen

Explorer
Does he need a reason it is going to be his truck after all.

True. But it's clear that a lot of people that may read this will think, "Yeah! I need 3.73 gears too! They took our jobs!"

That's the way these forums work.

The truth is, you probably don't need 3.73s with today's modern 6 and 8 speed transmissions, particularly with modern power/torque levels at relatively low rpms.
Most people don't understand the engineering, or at least dig deep enough to find those answers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp

Members online