Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I must have missed the pocket flare install. Looks good! I may have to keep cut-out-flares on my radar for the future. That would be a must if I go a little bigger tire.

BTW, Stretch the convoluted boot over the shock body and use a zip-tie to retain it :) Those are some fine looking shocks.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
are you going to secure that boot that is hanging down? You may wanna do that.

I must have missed the pocket flare install. Looks good! I may have to keep cut-out-flares on my radar for the future. That would be a must if I go a little bigger tire.

BTW, Stretch the convoluted boot over the shock body and use a zip-tie to retain it :) Those are some fine looking shocks.

The shock boots are going to have to remain "free floating" as the upper part will not fit over the body of the shock. I even tried splitting the upper portion a little to try and expand it, but I would have had to cut a lot more for it to fit, so I decided to just see whether they will do the job as is.

I really like the cut-out flares, they allow for the larger tires sans lift and they keep the extra rim/tire width covered when traveling through snow/mud/dirt.

Jack

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The shock boots are going to have to remain "free floating" as the upper part will not fit over the body of the shock.
Did you try some heat? A heat gun can do amazing things :)

I really like the cut-out flares, they allow for the larger tires sans lift...
I am with ya there! Low CG and room to stuff a tire :)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Is it just the camera angle or is the top anti-swaybar bushing loose/needs to be tightened?

Oh, the Saline Valley washboard doesn't stand a chance now :D

contento

Observer
Damn those are pretty! Are the shocks tuned in any way specific to your truck?

Remind me please so I don't have to go through 35 pages of this thread, what size lift(if you have one) is on the front of your truck? Torsion bar keys or did you crank the stock bars?

For the boot could you maybe use a motocross fork boot? or those "skins" they use over coilover shocks on motorcycles?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Did you try some heat? A heat gun can do amazing things :)

I am with ya there! Low CG and room to stuff a tire :)

I didn't, I figured I would give them a try as is and go from there.

I like the fact that with it low, I can still fit in my garage, any taller and it would no longer fit.

Is it just the camera angle or is the top anti-swaybar bushing loose/needs to be tightened?

Oh, the Saline Valley washboard doesn't stand a chance now :D

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I am going to snug it down today. Let's hope and based on another quick run on a different section of the dirt road with the camper loaded, I think it is going to be a major improvement.

Damn those are pretty! Are the shocks tuned in any way specific to your truck?

Remind me please so I don't have to go through 35 pages of this thread, what size lift(if you have one) is on the front of your truck? Torsion bar keys or did you crank the stock bars?

For the boot could you maybe use a motocross fork boot? or those "skins" they use over coilover shocks on motorcycles?

The shocks are tuned to my truck and the weight, I weighed the truck empty and loaded and gave that information to them. The front was set up for the additional 300lbs up front and we split the difference in the rear between loaded/unloaded.

No lift on the front per se, other than I cranked the t-bars approximately 3/4" that is it. I have found that with the little bit of lift and tires, that my clearance has been adequate and I haven't had a problem going over/down any road/trail that the truck will fit. I know it's not a rock crawler, so I try and remain on actual roads.

I never thought about motocross shocks boots, but that is a great idea. If for some reason, these don't work, I will have to give those a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Jack

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

I never thought about motocross shocks boots, but that is a great idea. If for some reason, these don't work, I will have to give those a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Jack

Looks good Jack.

Oh how I hate shock boots.

contento

Observer
No lift on the front per se, other than I cranked the t-bars approximately 3/4" that is it. I have found that with the little bit of lift and tires, that my clearance has been adequate and I haven't had a problem going over/down any road/trail that the truck will fit. I know it's not a rock crawler, so I try and remain on actual roads.

Interesting. I've considered a leveling kit for my front at LEAST the bare minimum I'd need for my truck but seeing some of the trails you've driven with stock front suspension has me re-thinking that.

You don't have any problems with room for your tires when it's tucked into the wheel well?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Interesting. I've considered a leveling kit for my front at LEAST the bare minimum I'd need for my truck but seeing some of the trails you've driven with stock front suspension has me re-thinking that.

You don't have any problems with room for your tires when it's tucked into the wheel well?

I have been amazed since adding the larger tires the clearance I have gained. As you know, the clearance comes from the tires, so as long as you can get a larger tire under the truck, most of battle is won.

I looked at the leveling kits available and for my uses, I just didn't like the comprimises they entail.

No problem at full stuff. That is the biggest advantage to the cut-out flares, you are basically fixing GM's problem. The problem they have had since the 1973 model truck, and that is that tires are round and GM insists on making the fender openings square. The cut-out removes the lower rear portion of the fender, I think 1.5 inches if I remember right and that makes all the difference in the clearance needed. Bushwacker says you can fit 35's (315's) without a lift. I would say it would depend on the tire, but a lot of guys that have a 4" lift are able to fit 37's with the cut-out flares. I would have more "belly" clearance with a non-torsion drop lift, but again, I can fit the truck/camper in my gargage (8' door) as is, but any more lift and no way.

Let me know if you need or have questions about anything else.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Just an update/trip report

It's been a while by looking at my last post quite some time since I updated this thread. Work has had me extremely busy this year, so I haven't had the free time that I normally have to hit the backcountry. As a result, I haven't been out much and have only been doing minor things to the truck.

Some updates are that last year, I replaced the seeping factory tranny cooler lines with the ones that Alligator Performance offers. The install was pretty straight forward, but with them being the size that they are and now running much closer to the engine, they appeared to be suffering from a little heat soak. Plus I felt like my tranny temps were running hotter than they should, which I attributed to both the heat sink and the fact that my big 'ol bumper/winch was completely blocking the factory tranny cooler. I decided to attack it on three fronts.

1, Heat sleeve cooler lines (picked up at Summit Racing).
2, PPE 40% larger tranny cooler.
3, Cut additional cooling holes into bumper so that now there is a straight shot into the cooler.

I haven't had a chance to pull or work it very hard since the mods, but we have been through some extremely warm temps and I am running anywhere from 20-40 degrees cooler just driving around. I was hitting close to 250 degrees under a load prior to and now the highest I have seen has been 190ish and normally around 170-180 just driving. It has not gone over 200 degrees since the mods. I also did a drain and refill of the transmission, which the good news is that the transynd I drained out, looked as good as the new stuff I put in.
Here is a "before" shot showing the license plate in place and how the cooler sits behind that area of the bumper. The two holes on the side of the fairlead are blocked by the Warn 12k.

I will have to get a better "after," but you can see the plate has been removed and there are three additional holes drilled in the area to allow a direct flow into the tranny cooler.

I have to move a piece of equipment this weekend, so that will be it's first towed load, looking forward to continued coolness.

Jack

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online