Jate rings on DII

Storz

Explorer
Had them on the front of my D1, but it also didnt have a factory bumper up front. Would I have to trim/modify the stock DII bumper to use two jate rings up front?

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
My only concern with jate rings is accessibility and the fact that you arent pulling evenly across the vehicle but only on one side of the frame. These frames are strong but it still irks me.

You are in NC and it won't be long before you are buried to the frame in red clay. It's near impossible to access the jate rings in a situation like that.

My recommendation would br to get. A good rear recovery hitch shackle and up front depending on your budget to get a used bumper or maybe even a hidden winch plate depending on your intention for this truck.

-Sam

SeaRubi

Explorer
Axe, the JATE rings work very well if you run a short tree strap across both of them to distribute the load, and pull off a solid ring in the middle of the strap. I never had more than the stock bumper and JATE rings on my RRC's. worked fine.

An HD bumper with Dixon-Bates is indeed a lot nicer and easier to work with, but the lack thereof shouldn't stop people from getting out.

cheers
-ike

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Ike, I totally agree. I run a bridle to a similar effect. That shouldn't be the limiting factor.

The location is the issue for me. For you NorCal guys the mud isn't as big a deal as it is over here.

This place has the best prices that i have found : Jate Rings
-Sam

dcarr1971

Adventurer
FYI...If you're running a stock bumper on the DII, there isn't anywhere to attach a front JATE ring. (Justin from L8 and I tried to find a spot while at MAR this year...no luck.)

At a minimum, you would have to either modify the bumper or drill mounting holes in your frame. I'd suggest using the stock tow point and then plan to get a steel bumper.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I would not recommend the stock tow point, especially not offroad or when using a snatch strap.

You can definitely attach a JATE ring to the frame upfront. You might have to remove some of the lower bumper, but it can be done.

(Not my photo, taken from website linked to earlier)
DIIjates.jpg

Dave, where you the guy with the shackle hanging off the front tow point and the rear recovery hitch shackle?

-Sam

Storz

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I really don't plan to wheel the truck on ATV trails etc, I tend to travel on poor quality roads vs no road at all type driving. I am going to poke around under the truck tonight and see if it looks like they'll fit. I do plan to order two and use a bridle

dcarr1971

Adventurer
...Dave, where you the guy with the shackle hanging off the front tow point and the rear recovery hitch shackle?

-Sam

Yep...that sounds like me, but I think there was one guy in a very similar D2 with the tow point painted yellow (that wasn't me)...mine is a dark blue '99 D2 with a 'rack to nowhere' on the back, it had an orange snatch strap draped over the hood into the passenger side window, and crappy street tires. Needless to say, I didn't do much offroading this year, but I had good intentions...

I showed up expecting to buy a Fr Diff Guard and JATE rings from L8, then use the rings as my front recovery point. Sadly the L8 guys had truck problems and didn't show until late, then when Justin and I started looking around there wasn't anywhere to put them. In the end I ended up mostly riding with one of the other FPLRG guys in his SIII ex-Mod.

Next year things will be different...:smiley_drive:

andycwb

As has been said, you can't put any kind of recovery points on the front of a DII without cutting the bumper. The one shown is a bit drastic, and it might be interesting to see what can be achieved by just removing the grille at the bottom (mine went to mount a discrete winch).

My winch is my recovery point for now, but I'm interested in alternatives.

Storz

Explorer
As has been said, you can't put any kind of recovery points on the front of a DII without cutting the bumper. The one shown is a bit drastic, and it might be interesting to see what can be achieved by just removing the grille at the bottom (mine went to mount a discrete winch).

My winch is my recovery point for now, but I'm interested in alternatives.

Can you post a couple pictures of your set up

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Ike, I totally agree. I run a bridle to a similar effect. That shouldn't be the limiting factor.

The location is the issue for me. For you NorCal guys the mud isn't as big a deal as it is over here.

This place has the best prices that i have found : Jate Rings
-Sam

Attach your bridle and then hang it up over the bumper in front, so when you get stuck, you don't have to crawl underneath to hook up. You can do this with the whole recovery strap as well. You see them wrapped around the bumpers of 4x4's sometimes for quick use.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Attach your bridle and then hang it up over the bumper in front, so when you get stuck, you don't have to crawl underneath to hook up. You can do this with the whole recovery strap as well. You see them wrapped around the bumpers of 4x4's sometimes for quick use.

I run my bridle between both of my bumper mounted recovery points just slightly above my winch. When doing a double pull i attach the hook to the center of the bridle. If I get stuck and have to fish out my bridle, i am likely in over my head and my car is already filled with water.

Swivel recovery points, 1/2" shackles and a bridle strap between them = definite overkill.

-Sam

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Yep...that sounds like me, but I think there was one guy in a very similar D2 with the tow point painted yellow (that wasn't me)...mine is a dark blue '99 D2 with a 'rack to nowhere' on the back, it had an orange snatch strap draped over the hood into the passenger side window, and crappy street tires. Needless to say, I didn't do much offroading this year, but I had good intentions...

I showed up expecting to buy a Fr Diff Guard and JATE rings from L8, then use the rings as my front recovery point. Sadly the L8 guys had truck problems and didn't show until late, then when Justin and I started looking around there wasn't anywhere to put them. In the end I ended up mostly riding with one of the other FPLRG guys in his SIII ex-Mod.

Next year things will be different...:smiley_drive:

I saw that D2 with the yellow towhook, it was an 03-04 IIRC. Dont feel bad about your truck. My diff grenaded on the way to MAR. I was in the white 4runner with my younger brother and the hot blonde chick in the skintight clothes and boots(for some strange reason everyone remembers her ;) ).

I used to live in Pitt - Shadyside, when i went to CMU for one of my masters, got a really bad intro to the Fort Pitt group and never wheeled with them. I know charlie crushanky well, good guy. I liked your guys flag and little privacy tent at MAR.

-Sam

Paladin

Banned
I would not recommend the stock tow point, especially not offroad or when using a snatch strap.

Before the Rover crowd told me that somebody was going to get killed, I had the local Jeepers hooking up tow straps to my factory tow point and doing huge kinetic recoveries.

Nobody died. YMMV.

I'm having a personal shackle vs. DB debate myself. Other than the quickness of use, I don't see the the big advantage to the DB. Well, the 5T looks good, but I have serious questions about the 3.5T, and more importantly how some people are mounting them. It has a narrow base, 2-bolt mount. When doing a pull perpendicular to the mounting base, you're doing everything your Mama told you not to do to those bolts.

The 3.5T is only rated for a 250kg Svalue, that being the load perpendicular to the mount. That will be easily exceeded by any winch pull with a vertical component.

I think the whole thing survives only because the bolts are of decent size, M16's.

But worse than that, some poeple are mounting them to thin bumpers metal, 1/8-3/16" thick, with no backing plates. Or at best, with a thin backing plate of the same small dimensions of the mount itself. When used like this... I think they're pure fashion statement more than anything.

Indeed, properly mounted swivels are THE be-all-end-all solution.

D-ring shackles in tabs are the cheap bastart solution, but they work too. Millions of Jeepers can't be wrong. ;)

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Before the Rover crowd told me that somebody was going to get killed, I had the local Jeepers hooking up tow straps to my factory tow point and doing huge kinetic recoveries.

Nobody died. YMMV.

I'm having a personal shackle vs. DB debate myself. Other than the quickness of use, I don't see the the big advantage to the DB. Well, the 5T looks good, but I have serious questions about the 3.5T, and more importantly how some people are mounting them. It has a narrow base, 2-bolt mount. When doing a pull perpendicular to the mounting base, you're doing everything your Mama told you not to do to those bolts.

The 3.5T is only rated for a 250kg Svalue, that being the load perpendicular to the mount. That will be easily exceeded by any winch pull with a vertical component.

I think the whole thing survives only because the bolts are of decent size, M16's.

But worse than that, some poeple are mounting them to thin bumpers metal, 1/8-3/16" thick, with no backing plates. Or at best, with a thin backing plate of the same small dimensions of the mount itself. When used like this... I think they're pure fashion statement more than anything.

Indeed, properly mounted swivels are THE be-all-end-all solution.

D-ring shackles in tabs are the cheap bastart solution, but they work too. Millions of Jeepers can't be wrong. ;)

When I build my front bumper, I'm going to mount two of the 5T Dixon Bates with backing plate brackets which bolt directly through the frame on both sides. They aren't going anywhere.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design