Jayco, Starcraft, Fleetwood vs. Adventure Trailer, Kimberly Kamper, etc.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
A Couple More King Kamper Shots

Here are couple of shots from our camping trip last weekend in the Chiricahua mountains in SE AZ. Shows how you can just use it flipped open without setting up the porch when the weather is nice.

Chiricahua2007017.jpg

Chiricahua2007075.jpg

Chiricahua2007011.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Pete said:
Hey Tucson, a few questions, as I am seriously considering the KK. I had heard that there were long wait times to get one. How long was your wait time after ordering it?

Do you have any shots of the sleeping area(s)?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Pete, I finaly got around to getting you some inside shots of the sleeping area. Here ya be......

Here's the queen size bed (heater fan is in the small shoe box looking thing on the lower right under the bed):

Notice the halogen reading lights above each pillow. :coffee:

DSC02711_edited-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the fold down floor area that you walk into. You can see there is plenty of room for a small table and chair or a cot if someone else wanted to sleep inside the main fold out tent:

DSC02714_edited-1.jpg

PS. I just measured the floor area. It's 7' X 5.5' so kids could sleep across the end but an adult would have to sleep lengthwise by the back door.

Last edited:

Pete

Tucson T4R said:
Pete, I finaly got around to getting you some inside shots of the sleeping area. Here ya be......

Here's the queen size bed (heater fan is in the small shoe box looking thing on the lower right under the bed):

Notice the halogen reading lights above each pillow. :coffee:

Here's a shot of the fold down floor area that you walk into. You can see there is plenty of room for a small table and chair or a cot if someone else wanted to sleep inside the main fold out tent:

PS. I just measured the floor area. It's 7' X 5.5' so kids could sleep across the end but an adult would have to sleep lengthwise by the back door.

Very cool man, thanks. Looks like a great setup. I want mine so bad, I can taste it.

jerdog53

Explorer
Tucson T4R said:

You know I saw one of these yesterday on the freeway being pulled by a Black Toyota Tacoma with AZ plates. I had enough time to move around three sides and get a real good look at it at freeway speeds. Had the top of my LJ so the view was unodstructed and I must admit they are smaller than I thought but every bit as long as the tow truck. I am finding my self thinking I need to rethink this option as Track Trailer won't ever import their rig.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Sweet, I don't how many of these are in Arizona but I would expect only a few. I initialy was looking at some South African safari trailers but went this route when they weren't going to export to the US as well.

I've been very happy with my decision and expect this puppy to last me many years of back country camping. :26_7_2:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
jerdog53 said:
I am finding my self thinking I need to rethink this option as Track Trailer won't ever import their rig.

That is the coolest trailer I've ever seen!

The Tvan is so cool, its a shame things like that haven't caught on more in the US...

I saw a Fleetwood Evolution E2 up close at Calico and am very impressed by it. My wife is even more impressed...

A big selling factor is the cassette toilet/shower option.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
We looked at a Jayco Baja today and my wife is in love with that thing...

... I think we may be buying one this week!

Obviously, I have my reservations but if it makes her happy I'll compromise.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
We went to the RV show in Ottawa last weekend. They had a couple of the Jayco Bajas and some of the Palomino Real-Lite on display.

I don't know how people can say these trailers are not strong. ~2"x6" steel beams in the frame, four runs lengthwise. It's massive. I can see some criticism of the box itself being valid. Kinda flimsy compared to a military trailer but you really have to ask where exactly are you going to be hauling one of these units.

I think instead of doing up my old tent trailer this winter I'm going to buy a Starcraft 10RT in the spring and be happy. It's the size/format I like and I've seen some used units in this area in the $6k-$8k CDN range.

indiedog

Adventurer
I was at the Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show bit over a week ago. Huuuuge show with Kimberley and Track Trailer having all their stuff there. And that was just a small selection of the local product. As an architect I just love the detailed design and the fantastic use of space. Good to see it's well respected over there. Amazing there aren't more US built clones running around. The "Oasis" is a move in that direction though.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
We went to the RV show in Ottawa last weekend. They had a couple of the Jayco Bajas and some of the Palomino Real-Lite on display.

I don't know how people can say these trailers are not strong. ~2"x6" steel beams in the frame, four runs lengthwise. It's massive. I can see some criticism of the box itself being valid. Kinda flimsy compared to a military trailer but you really have to ask where exactly are you going to be hauling one of these units.

I think instead of doing up my old tent trailer this winter I'm going to buy a Starcraft 10RT in the spring and be happy. It's the size/format I like and I've seen some used units in this area in the $6k-$8k CDN range.

Well, from what I saw, and I can't remember which was which... I compared the frame on one of the off-road models to the standard models, and it was EXACTLY the same frame. The only difference was the extra frame welded on the front to make the platform. But that's not to say the frame wouldn't hold up to dirt roads. It's more the interior I think that is the concern. The fear is how well they'll hold up on washboard roads. I have heard they will shake themselves appart. I believe it's all fiberboard, not real wood.

All that being said... I still have some pangs of regret for not just buying one. I think with our young family, it might have been a better setup for what we're more likely to be doing. I think (I've never set up a tent trailer) it would be more possible to set the thing up by myself while my wife entertains the kids. Also, I do still like the idea of having the whole living space in one place. We will have our kids in a seperate space from us which concerns me somewhat. And then the "living" space will be seperate from the sleeping space. So, there will be no sleeping in while the kids play quietly or watch TV on the kitchen table.

With the setup I'm building, the tent and kitchen will be super quick, even faster than a tent trailer. But awnings, screen house... those will still take 2 people some time. I guess, the screen house we have is pretty quick because it's based on the "Eezi-Up" frame. It's really the large dome tent that is KILLER. Anyway...

I think the concern is the interior getting torn up. Particle board and pop rivets have NO place on washboard roads, let alone any serious pounding.

go4aryd

Adventurer
I think the concern is the interior getting torn up. Particle board and pop rivets have NO place on washboard roads, let alone any serious pounding.

Bingo - I have not had any problems with rivets, but the screws just vibrate out and I suppose if the road was extremely rough/rocky that the particle board would tear out as well. IF all the furniture been GLUED and screwed, I think it would hold up fine with careful use (note - there is a very wide range of what careful might mean to users of this forum!). Kinda of a shame we don't build solid construction in the mainstream anymore.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Well, from what I saw, and I can't remember which was which... I compared the frame on one of the off-road models to the standard models, and it was EXACTLY the same frame. The only difference was the extra frame welded on the front to make the platform. But that's not to say the frame wouldn't hold up to dirt roads. It's more the interior I think that is the concern. The fear is how well they'll hold up on washboard roads. I have heard they will shake themselves appart. I believe it's all fiberboard, not real wood.

All that being said... I still have some pangs of regret for not just buying one. I think with our young family, it might have been a better setup for what we're more likely to be doing. I think (I've never set up a tent trailer) it would be more possible to set the thing up by myself while my wife entertains the kids. Also, I do still like the idea of having the whole living space in one place. We will have our kids in a seperate space from us which concerns me somewhat. And then the "living" space will be seperate from the sleeping space. So, there will be no sleeping in while the kids play quietly or watch TV on the kitchen table.

With the setup I'm building, the tent and kitchen will be super quick, even faster than a tent trailer. But awnings, screen house... those will still take 2 people some time. I guess, the screen house we have is pretty quick because it's based on the "Eezi-Up" frame. It's really the large dome tent that is KILLER. Anyway...

Yeah, I can see that. Again though, I guess it depends on what the intended purpose of the machine will be and if you need that "capacity".

Personally, I'm not adverse to fixing things if they get screwed up. I dislike particle board with the best of them but I can run a compound mitre say and/or sheet metal working tools if I need to start replacing stuff. The reality is that given how often I would be using one of these units and where I'd be going I suspect it would be a decade or more before I'd have any real issues with the unit. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic?

It's funny, but my wife suggested not to worry about the cabinets and such. If they get screwed up get a removable kitchen to go in the trailer. Smart lady. ;)

I figure that a used pop-up at say $7k versus some of these other units at 2-3-4 times the cost are a better value for my intended purpose. I was going to ruggedize a old soft top popup that I have - very small box - maybe 7' long by 6' wide. But you know what? It's just old at this point. By the time I did everything I would want to do I would likely be into the trailer for over $5k. It would be a better wheeling trailer due to size but it's not as nice. It is a bit of a ********** to setup (not hard top) and would in general be a pita and a lot of work. I'm just not interested in that right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design