Adventurer
This weekend i had picked up my car again

image2.jpeg

added:

Frontbar
Winch
Mud Tyres/Rims 285/70R17
Rear Tyre Holder

Fortunately the Rearbar dont fit on a AHC equipped car, so i have the rear tyre holder, but not the weight of the additional bar.

Now i`m on to register the new stuff @ the authorities. Thats not easy in Switzerland.

I hope i can progress soon, with more pictures, and a lot more stuff added. The 2nd builtup Session dont need to be legaliced, and then the progress will grow.

This stuff comes too:

Difflocks
180l additional Fueltank
CB Radio

Surfy

Adventurer
image.jpeg

There are some updates, you can find on my Website: discontinued page

This Page is for adding information - not to be beautiful itself ;-) There are some product evaluations, and some planning stuff for crossing africa.

Last edited:

cruiser guy

Explorer
Surfy, I'd make one change to you plans. Don't do the CB radio, the range is too short and likely no one in Africa will be able to receive you in the range you can transmit. Go for a multi-band ham radio instead. Worldwide transmission (with the right conditions and in the right bands, like the HF bands) so you have a chance of reaching someone somewhere. 2meter , the main VHF band, is pretty common and you might get as much as 100 mile range if your lucky on that one which is more than a CB will likely do.

I have an Icom 706MkII in my truck. That's an "all band" ham radio. I can even receive CB but I cannot transmit legally on CB frequencies.

I'll be heading north from Sierra Leone in the spring of 2013 to Germany so if you have not left by then I might be able to give you up to the minute advice at least as far as Sierra Leone

Surfy

Adventurer
@cruiser guy

Thank you for your suggestions. We will use CB only for communicate with other travelers - when we drove parts togehter. So we will take an additional handheld with us, in case the other part has no CB. Most of travelers use or buy still CB, so we decide this way. For real communication we will use satelite communication.

@ All:

At samedy i could pickup the car again

He is legalized, and all technical - non overlanding stuff - is finished now:

- Difflocks front/rear
- add. fueltank 180l Diesel
- Helton Heatexchanger
- breathers relocation

And he is empty now:

240_emptylandcruiser_1.jpg

They deactivate Airbagsensors, and pretensioners - built in strong power cables to the rear, where i will put a national luna portable powerpack.

Now I have some difficult decisions to make:

To build the Sleeping plattform arround an fridge-box - or to build the sleeping plattform above the fridge-box.

To take the smallest 30l Box, the Waeco (<40cm height), or to take two Engel MT-17-F (one as freezer, one as cooling box)

I will add some pictures soon.

Hope you can give me some input, how you would handle it

Surfy

Containerized

Adventurer
How do you plan to use what used to be the rear-passenger footwell space?

I would build the fridge into the platform there on one side, creating a "bump" but at least you could "sink" part of the fridge's height into that area (especially if you're willing to modify the sheetmetal the bench seat once rested on).

Surfy

Adventurer
@containerized: Unfortunately there is no free space, below of this area. And to take out the insulation material seems not the way to go. I`m shure the car gets a lot noisier then.

I decided me now, to go with two Engel MT-17 box. One as Freezer, one as cooling-box. The original fridge-box in the armrest - get warm in a fast way . too less isolation.

So everything will be under the sleeping area. I am planning on a 2nd kaymar rear bar tyre holder, to put a kitchenbox on it - more room inside!

Here are some details from the current stand:

Additional Fueltank, Display and Pump switch
306730_342678192477554_806473005_n.jpg

Audio, Diff-locks, Winch Power-Switch
578673_342720902473283_531299382_n.jpg

Sunvisor Displays and thermal cam in action
556628_342884915790215_950170703_n.jpg

Maybe i can avoid a roof box / rack solution this way!

Surfy

Surfy

Adventurer
I now have merged my Website together with my Bog.

http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de

So i have only one Page to update, together with a travelreport i will start here :)

I have tryied to compress the informations - so it isnt so much stuff to read.

How do you like my idea/plan with the rear-box? I have add a sketch. Overkill? Or should i go better with a roof cargo box?

You can translate the website to english, the link is on the right menü side, maye you have to scroll down a bit.

Last edited:

Surfy

Adventurer
I have added a hands on of the delorme two way satellite Messager - and a sketch of my planned custom watertank :)

Tommorrow i will drive to munich, a good way test the livetracking feature ;-)

Last edited:

Surfy

Adventurer
Today i have fixed the carnet stuff. Really ugly, to deposit much money for the car

I had to deposit 50% of the worth of the car, and have to sign, that i will be additional liable for 125% of the worth. When you read the clauses - thats a really bad kind of paper

Only good point is, that i was able to set a really low worth. But 175% of a low worth ( 50% deposit & 125% liability) is much anyway...

But slowly comes the feeling - to could starting the trip soon :wings:

Surfy

Adventurer
Now the sleeping plattform building phase has started!

innen2.jpg

When you have ideas or suggestions - jet is the time to wrote them, because changes are still possible.

More pictures and news of the progress, you can find in the blog @ http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de in the section "sleeping platform" or "Schlafplattform"

When you have additional ideas or solutions - write em!

Surfy

jessejman

Adventurer
Do you have plans for a fan(ventilation) or for mosquito netting? I just spent 57 days out - had mosquito netting for windows, wanted a fan.

I'm very jealous of your build. When we go around the world I want to work with a V8 diesel like yours! Why is America so backwards when it comes to diesel?

-jesse

Surfy

Adventurer
Thanks for reminding a fan! I had a favorite one some time ago, the endless breeze from fantastic fan. But since i had seen a youtube video about - ******** is this noisy.

So i will have to do some research about, when i have time for.

The theme mosquito netting i was able to complete, and have ordered "window sox" - after a lot of research.

windowsox_2.jpg

http://www.sunprotec.com.au/window-sox-sun-protection-c-1.html

They customize it for your car, if it isnt on their list.

It seems to make sense, to also invest much time for researching small details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1