Lipstick on a Pig: The 10 Don'ts of Vehicle Modifications

loren85022

Explorer
Ugh. Worst mistake you'd ever make. Don't let anyone else's opinion sway you like that. Make up your own mind. The CB will take 30 minutes to put in correctly, won't take up that much space, and just might come in handy.

I have the CB in place to keep an 8yr old from playing with the Ham. When he rides shotgun we have to shutoff music to hear the truckers.

toddz69

Explorer
Amidst all the discussion about radios, I'll add one of my credos on vehicle building (expo or not):

Unless you're building a fire engine, no diamond plate allowed.

Todd Z.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
The conversation actually has me wondering if it is possible to amplify a CB transmission using a car stereo amplifier? Might be a way to boost the signal if you find the need to get it out a long way in an emergency...

To answer you question here is a snippet from the following Wikipedia page:Citizens' Band Radio

The maximum legal CB power output level in the U.S. is four watts for AM and 12 watts (peak envelope power or "PEP") for SSB, as measured at the antenna connection on the back of the radio. However, illegal external linear amplifiers are frequently used. In the 1970s the FCC banned the sale of linear amplifiers capable of operation from 24 to 35 MHz to discourage their use on the CB band, though the use of high power amplifiers by lawless pirate operators continued. Late in 2006 the FCC amended the regulation to only exclude 26 to 28 MHz.[26] Extremely lax enforcement of these regulations by the FCC has led to manufacturers of illegal linear amplifiers openly advertising their products for sale, and many CB dealers carry these and other amplifiers in their product lines and include them in catalogs.

Now on the surface, after getting past the illegal part, adding an amplifier may seem like a good idea but it still has other disadvantages. If you boost the transmit power of your CB you will be able to get out further but you will never know if anyone is receiving your transmission as it is unlikely that the recepient will have an illegally modified CB radio and thus will only have 4 watts of power to try and respond with. If you do hear a response then you didn't need an illegal CB to begin with.

The other perenial problem with CB's is not the radio itself, but the antenna. Too many people just run out and buy a $30 dollar CB and a $20 mag base antenna and put them in their truck and expect it to work, be clear and give them enough range to be useful. When some time is taken and a quality CB and antenna are selected and some thought is put into the installation of the antenna, ground plane, etc. then the CB ends up being a useful tool when others in your group also have propperly tuned equipment.

Mike

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
I have the CB in place to keep an 8yr old from playing with the Ham. When he rides shotgun we have to shutoff music to hear the truckers.

This should make for some memorable times. A number of years ago my family and I were traveling through Montana and just nort of Helena we got between two truckers hauling on half of a manufactured home each. We tuned in to channel 19 and listened to the two banter back and forth on a number of topics, including when the local fishing season would begin. I was so interested in listening that I wasn't paying attention to the fact that my exit for Hwy 287 was comming up. In fact I didn't realize it until I was past the off ramp. I hit my breaks and pulled over tot the shoulder and while still rolling made the decision to continue and just drive up the access ramp comming from Hwy 287 to I-15.

WolfCreek.jpg

I-15 North of Wolf Creek, Montana

Well the trucker behind me saw what was going on and told the lead trucker, " Some dumb $H!& from Idaho just missed his exit and drove up the on ramp instead!" Well I couldn't let him off with out letting him know that I heard his comment so I picked up my CB mic and said, "Yeap! I sure did." Next thing I heard was the trailing trucker who responded by saying, "Oh $h!& they were listening!"

We laughed about that all the way to Augusta and still chuckle about it today.

I hope that you have some good times with your son.

Mike

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Amidst all the discussion about radios, I'll add one of my credos on vehicle building (expo or not):

Todd Z.
Geeez... cheap.....ez..... covers up dents like a charm and prevents new ones.....being kinda prissy aren't we? diamond plate to high tech? Shouldn't have window tint unless its an airplane right?:costumed-smiley-007

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Geo...

Finally a level head (yes choose and set it up right and it will be just fine and it will do what it was intended for).

I'm enjoying your Cb Story!

Keep Going!

~~~~~~~~

The beauty of the CB Radio, is that it is not only handy on the trail (and most everyone uses them), It's also very handy over the road on the way to the trail! And I still use it while over the road today.

Should I tell you about the time I was saved by my good old trusty Johnson CB Radio in the early winter of 1979 while in my 18 Wheeler (I still use this same radio today)?

OK....here goes.

I was heading northbound on the I~5 from San Diego at around 2am, in my 18wheeler with 45 foot high box trailer. Heading to Seattle, (21 hours to make a 21 hour drive! They always loaded my truck late!) and always wanting to miss the L.A. traffic, I always left very early in the morning.

This means I'm headed north on the I~5 over the Grapevine and then down into the San Joaquin Valley.

It had already been a rough morning as I had to drive around a dead body on the I~5 right near downtown L.A. I guess some guy running across the freeway just didn't make it. Ug! That Really wakes you up at 4am!

Later, I'm heading downhill/northbound on the Grapevine and I start hearing truckers ahead of me on Channel 19 talking about low dense fog on the I~5 just past the 99/I~5 split. This is now very early morning just before the sun comes up.

As I get closer, all of a sudden, the truckers that were talking about the fog just ahead of me got Quiet! A scary silence!

I Slowed Way Down!

You could hardly see 10-20 feet in front of your rig, or less. Then all of a sudden I saw a guy standing on the right side of the freeway waving a white towel and telling me to SLOW DOWN!

Next thing I know, I am driving/weaving through the aftermath of a 40+ car/18 wheeler pileup! Vehicles were in the median and on the fence! People were just now getting out of their vehicles and staggering around.

I kept moving slowing and weaving through the wreckage, as I did not want to be a statistic and get hit from behind.

It was a scene out of a movie.

On every road trip since, I have always used my CB Radio while over the road for safety.

Even now, while headed to 4x4 events.

It's a valuable tool when chosen and set up properly as GeoTracker90 states.

maximumrob

Adventurer
"Don't" Number Eleven: Dual Plastic Non-Functional Hood Scoops
HID.jpg

Rule #12: No bumpers in front of bumpers.

Rule #13: No lightbars in front of other lightbars.

Rule #14: No dual windshield wipers from AutoZone.

Rule #15: Don't tint your factory headlights if you're actually wanting more light.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Rule #16: Do not take the tall and skinny tire idea too far. Your buggy has too many ponies to ride on wagon wheels.

Attachments

• weird_hummer.jpg
    weird_hummer.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder

Todd Z.

I agree, at least from a stylistic point of view. It is interesting to see design and style evolve. I will say that simplicity is always timeless in its appeal. Why does everyone love an AEV Brute or a TLC Icon? Simplicity. It doesn't look like someone just got a limit increase on their Visa card and went hog wild with the Summit Racing catalog. . .

Yes - this could easily slip into a design and style discussion. In the end, individual expression reigns supreme and keeps things interesting ;)

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
"Don't" Number Eleven: Dual Plastic Non-Functional Hood Scoops
HID.jpg

sorry guys but the hood scoops are real, also he just made his own hood from scratch out of fiberglass and its supercharged, the headlights aren't tinted, the chrome insides are painted and the way they are designed the chrome serves no purpose and its not a show truck, he is a member on several forums i am on

ogterror-albums-f150+almost+bit+the+dust.-picture132-dsc01324.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssDYUQM0RP8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssDYUQM0RP8[/ame]

and as far as diamond plate, does this from my truck count?

Photo278.jpg

and this

Attachments

• Photo965.jpg
    Photo965.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 171

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design