Living in a Land Rover

My overnight sleeping kit is below in my LR3. During my ultra running season, this set up stays in the back almost all the time. I'm working on the platform/drawer design off many other member's designs but I'll keep the space the same. Until then, this works perfectly and I've slept in here like this for a week or so before I bought the roof top tent. My lady and I spend many nights in the back with Pelican cases and waterproof bags on the roof rack. Small bags in the front seat when we lay out in the back.

Two 1" thick (one person) thermarest air mattresses laying side by side in the back with a knitted Spanish blanket on top for ventilation and two full size pillows. Super easy and super comfy!

LR3 Interior Bed.jpg
LR3 Interior Bed 2.jpg

AdvRovr

Ambitious but Rubbish
You guys realize he said he has $1400 right? Not even 1400 to spend on a truck, but 1400 total.

He needs to be looking at $300-500 non running Discos then do the work on them himself to get them running. The last thing he needs is to blow every penny on the truck and his gear and then not have any money for unexpected expenses on his trip.

You guys realize he said he has $1400 right? Not even 1400 to spend on a truck, but 1400 total.

He needs to be looking at $300-500 non running Discos then do the work on them himself to get them running. The last thing he needs is to blow every penny on the truck and his gear and then not have any money for unexpected expenses on his trip.

Yes, my point was my budget camping set up sleeping in the back. One doesn't need much to be comfortable long term. I will say the budget is questionable on a non-proven vehicle in the aspect of reliability. $300-500 non running to running reliably and have enough left over is a tough sell IMO. BUT.....I do know some peeps who volunteer work for spare cash on the road in different areas of their trip so that is an option too.

AdvRovr

Ambitious but Rubbish
Totally agree with you on that point. And he will absolutely need a job and to save up quite a bit more before he leaves, but I would say he can buy the truck now and start building it out how he wants, do short trips to test and adjust, and then refine his needs as he goes. Soon he will be ready enough to take off.

TravelinLight

Observer
If your budget is still close to 1400 to start I would say you should look at a 2 wheel drive American Truck with a camper shell and build out your sleep quarters. I do not mean to squash your land rover dream, just want to inject a little reality as any of your choices could have a repair bill several times your starting budget out of the gate.

An older VW camper may be an option. I love the idea and your spirit, just hoping you find the right vehicle to get your dream started and not have it dashed when you have a serious repair bill in front of you and you have not left the driveway.

Tembo

topless adventures
Hi Aaron, just wanted to say that Disco's are a good option, just be careful of rust on the D1s. I would also say that just before I bought my 110 in Calgary I was chasing a Jeep CJ8 for about half the price. The CJ8 with a full hardtop would be roughly equal to a Defender and parts are easy to get. The CJ8's can be hard to find these days, and are often blinged out the the extreme, but there are still examples that need some work and can be found relatively cheap. Also easy to work on with a few simple tools. I think living out of one would be a challenge...but far easier than a Freelander and probably better than a Disco. My two cents....

Prices are getting lower and lower now that some are ~10+ years old.

25026795251_32306a9cde_c.jpg

With both front seats set all the way back for normal driving I have about an inch of space at the head, and an inch of space at my feet. 5'11". All 7 seats are there, folded down.

That looks promising.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I would echo Tembo on this one. Buy what's cheap in your country. Over here a 300Tdi 5 speed can be had for less than 750 dollars. It would most likely fail our road safety test in that state but we have one of the toughest in the world...

I remember the first time I worked stateside, picking up an XJ for less than a day's wages, working on it for two weekends and it lasting me the 6 months until I left; I sold it for a weeks wages. Great vehicle. Simple... Stick with what's cheap

My first trip to Africa was in a Series 2a 109 station wagon. The 2.25 petrol donk had more piston slap than up and down motion. It leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez. I paid less than £500 for, spent a bit of time getting it about right. Tamanrasset and back (in the days before they metalled the road) and virtually nothing broke. Parts were cheap. It used more fuel than you could imagine in your worst nightmare. But to get parts I went round scrap yards, and refurbed stuff I might need or that were better than I had...

So listen to the guys. Yes a D1 is the finest overland barge you cab get (except a LWB G wagen with a 617 Turbo); but it needs a 200Tdi and a 5 speed and they are even getting rare over here. So find a cheap, easy to fix, common 4x4 and then adapt yourself to it. Even a Samurai is workable - just take a big tent, preferably ex military and canvas...

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1