LR3 Hitch Options?

Mx468

Observer
Any group deals?

Hey Todd any group buy deals? I'm looking to replace my stock oem hitch with one of yours. I'm about to purchase a 22ft air stream and want the confidence that my hitch won't drop out like I've read on some other threads.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Sorry for the delay. Yes, what I mean is that you have it crimped directly to the pin meaning I would have to cut the lanyard to be able to remove the pin completely and install my locking pin. I was just wondering if you thought of making the lanyard loop have a keychain type ring on the end so the lanyard remained attached to the hitch, but the pin could be replaced with a locking one and still have the use of a nice lanyard you have provided.

Example attached: Notice the key ring type removable ends for the swaged/crimped lanyard loops.
View attachment 347075

FWIW you can get cable, crimps, crimping tool fairly easily most places (not sure about Hawaii). Have seen a buddy make his own for a project (Sheepdog btw). Not super difficult from what I saw.

unseenone

Explorer
They don't allow that on here... Drop me a PM. Busy getting the next batch manufactured. Also got a fresh batch of AC/DC snomaster fridge/freezers in, hit the facebook.

cornfarmer

Observer
Sorry if this has been answered before - but what are the pros/cons of either of these OEM tow hitch receivers? Other than one being lower, are there any other issues?

Land_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_LR4_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_A3.jpg

Land_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_KBN500023_A.jpg

Sorry if this has been answered before - but what are the pros/cons of either of these OEM tow hitch receivers? Other than one being lower, are there any other issues?

Land_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_LR4_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_A3.jpg

Land_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_KBN500023_A.jpg

I've used mine for years and other than having to keep it lubricated due to the tight fit and locking internal parts, there is nothing wrong with it for everyday road towing. For off-road, in my opinion it could not be a worse design but let's be honest, LR is not known for towing off-road so I think it's use of being detachable to keep the departure angles high is spot on....if that makes sense?!?! haha

IMO, if you are building an overland rig and plan to tow, Rhino-Hitch is the way to go. Do not waste a penny on the LR OEM set up. Below are my Pro/Cons for why I will buy a Rhino-Hitch.

***Everyday towing
They are relatively equal. (RH meets or exceeds LR from what I know)

***Cost
They are relatively equal. (LR, Mine didn't come with the truck so I bought it second hand. You might already have one that saves you money)

***Quality/Fit/Form/Function
Rhino-Hitch (LR is removable so the booty looks clean) (RH is permanently mounted, your wife might not like it! It's my truck so I don't care what your wife thinks :wings:)

***Installation
Rhino-Hitch (LR can be left on or removed but requires maintenance, lube, etc...)(RH is one time installation, ideal)

***Overlanding
Rhino-Hitch (maintaining departure angle and a solid hitch to the frame with the ability to recover from the hitch)

***Interchangeable with bumper upgrade
Rhino-Hitch (It fits my TR bumper and OEM bumper 100% with no issues)

***Wiring interface
Rhino-Hitch (LR hangs low, so will the trailer harness) (RH, plug is located at the same level as the receiver)

***Articulating hitch coupler
Rhino-Hitch (If using an articulating hitch coupler for an overland trailer, RH maintains ground clearance, departure angle and geometry to get the maximum performance from the coupler and trailer in off-road environments)

I'm sure there are more ideas or comparisons that others might have. The above are things that put me on the Rhino-Hitch wagon. Once my wheel mod is done, then I budget for the hitch.

Hope this helps you out. Rover On :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Alex M

Observer
Big thanks to unseenone. He was able to do a quick turn around on getting me one of his hitches. I was moving from San Diego to Wisconsin and wanted to tow my wife's Hyundai behind my LR3.

Just finished the trip and the hitch performed great.

Maybe I missed it here in the thread, but has anyone else had issues with the rear parking sensors picking up the hitch? Mine are no longer usable, and not sure if I can adjust them in any way.

Ray_G

Explorer
Big thanks to unseenone. He was able to do a quick turn around on getting me one of his hitches. I was moving from San Diego to Wisconsin and wanted to tow my wife's Hyundai behind my LR3.

Just finished the trip and the hitch performed great.

Maybe I missed it here in the thread, but has anyone else had issues with the rear parking sensors picking up the hitch? Mine are no longer usable, and not sure if I can adjust them in any way.

Fairly common both in terms of the hitch and any kind of rear tire carrier; what I did was get bicycle tire patches to cover the inboard sensors (both) but left the outboards in play, you get less depth to be sure so don't floor it backwards but you still retain some function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unseenone

Explorer
Use 1" rubberized furniture feet over the two center sensors, problem is solved, as Ray stated. New batch coming in a couple months or so.

Alex M

Observer
Good to know that covering up the two sensors fixes the issue. What have you found that works best to adhere the bike patch or the furniture feet?

Ray_G

Explorer
Good to know that covering up the two sensors fixes the issue. What have you found that works best to adhere the bike patch or the furniture feet?

I just used clear silicone bc that's what I had on hand, holds up fine and if I ever pulled all the stuff off is easy to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1