M101 on a Jeep TJ

Dolomiti

Adventurer
I have a 2004 Wrangler TJ and am looking at picking up an M101. The primary reason for the trailer is to mount my eezi-awn 1600 and carry some camping supplies. The m101 is listed at 1340lbs and the Wrangler can tow 2000lbs.

Is this a bad idea?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a 2004 Wrangler TJ and am looking at picking up an M101. The primary reason for the trailer is to mount my eezi-awn 1600 and carry some camping supplies. The m101 is listed at 1340lbs and the Wrangler can tow 2000lbs.

Is this a bad idea?

Are you speaking of the M101-A1?

They are much bigger and heavier than the Candian M101 or the US M416.

There are some threads here on the forum with lots of pictures to show the difference.

M101A1
4x4Freedom's clean rig

Here is the dataplate with measurements -
1155090271_fWbWS-XL.jpg

see this thread to look at an M416 behind a Jeep. Much better for off roading than an M101-A series
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54459

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Yes it is a newer A series. My personal opinion is that it is too big and too heavy. Some folks apparently shave some weight by replacing the heavy axle.

If you look at the pictures in the thread link you'll see how an M416 is a more appropriate size if you intend to offroad it with your Jeep. Maybe you won't? I think an m416 weighs around 800 pounds which means that the M101-A1 is an extra 500 pounds. So do you need something as big as an A series or is the smaller trailer more suitable for your needs?

96discoXD

Adventurer
You would be ill advised to tow an M101 behind a TJ, even a LJ in my opinion. They don't have electric trailer brakes and they weigh enough that they would push your TJ around big time. If you swapped out the axle for one with electric brakes that would help somewhat, but they're still to heavy IMO. I would take Jim's advise and look for an M416 or build your own.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Thanks for the help. Since I am on the road most of the time, I am thinking of getting something like this as a platform to build on, pending its gross weight.

frontisodown-650.jpg

96discoXD

Adventurer
That's probably not a bad option either. If you do plan to do something like that but also use it off road, look into swapping out the traditional tongue/hitch assembly for a multi-axis one. Aside from that, some taller leaf springs or an axle flip depending on what you end up with would net a bit more off road clearance and get the job done.

I've been contemplating a similar concept and would just build a rack that would bolt onto the top of the trailer to house a RTT when used for camping.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Are you speaking of the M101-A1?

They are much bigger and heavier than the Candian M101 or the US M416.

There are some threads here on the forum with lots of pictures to show the difference.

M101A1
4x4Freedom's clean rig

m101a1rtt4.jpg

I drug a stockish canadian 101 across the country behind my TJ. I've also towed the above with my TJ. That was an entertaining experience that I wouldn't recommend to a sane person.

JPK

Explorer
I have towed an M101A2 behind my JKU, which has a hemi. You forget the trailer is there and it is no issue and a fine pairing. The A2 and A3 have surge breaks, which work just fine on wet or dry pavement, gravel roads, two tracks, etc, but reportedly not well on snowy or icy pavement. An M101A1, which I also have, is about equally fine but no breaks, both better and worse in some ways than the surge breaks.

I also have an LJ and I think it would be fine to tow an M101 A2 or 3 for modest distances at 60mph or an A1 for shorter distances though I haven't done it. A TJ would be pushing it I think for all but low speeds or very short distances, just not long enough to tow well.

JPK

klaykrusher

I would look into an aluminum trailer. Light GVW and then you can add a considerable amount of modifications and still be within the TJ towing capacity.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Well, considering you can fit a TJ in the box of an M101A1, I'd rather not tow one with a CJ/YJ/TJ.

The M101A1 was designed to be towed behind the M37 (Dodge Power Wagon) and the later A2 and A3 had the axle/hubs changed to run the same tire/wheel combo as the 1 Ton Dodge maint. trucks, and then the H1's, respectively.

A CDN 101 or an M416 would suit your rig much better, or a modified trailer as you pictured.

Mayne

Explorer
The build tag on my M416 states a dry weight of 650lbs. It's light and easy to deal with, even when loaded. I would suggest this type of trailer, or one like it. While loaded, the M416 renders the stock TJ brakes mediocre at best.

Mayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1