Matt Scott's article "5 Things We'd Love To See In The Next Wrangler"

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I am posting my comments here because I'm not on Facebook and don't plan on joining. Overall I agree with much of what Mr. Scott said. As an owner of a '13 JKUR and previously a YJ I am familiar with Jeeps. I disagree on point 5, as the interior of my loaded Rubicon is very nice and has every convenience I could possibly want. The doors are not in my opinion "tin", but remember that the doors are meant to come off, so they must be light. The roof was also designed to come off, so it too must be light. It seems to me that Mr. Scott May have lost sight of what a jeep is and isn't on this point. There are plenty of other 4x4s with nice doors and roofs, but they aren't convertibles.

As to the payload capacity, not to nitpick, but the capacity of the Rubicon is actually 1060 lbs (GVWR 5400 minus curb weight of 4340). The difference likely being a 165 lb driver. Other Wrangler models have capacities as high as 1400 lbs. I sort of agree with the diesel comment, but I'm not sure I would choose it. Then again I've never owned a diesel so I could change my mind. One thing to bear in mind is that diesels weigh more than gas engines, so this may not be consistent with increasing the payload capacity and could explain why we haven't seen it yet. Many of those who have the diesel option in Europe don't like it and say they would prefer a gas engine.

These points aside, Mr. Scott wrote a very good article and I hope the engineers at Jeep are listening. Jeep must find the right balance of making a vehicle that compares with its peers, but is also true to its heritage.

Last edited:

HRPINDC

Adventurer
So I just looked at the sticker on my doorjamb and it indicates that the GVWR of my Rubicon is 5700 lbs not the 5400 Jeep's website listed. Assuming the curb weight is consistent with the website, that would mean payload is 1360 lbs.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden

I have a 2013 Rubicon 10th anniversary 4 door with the Pentastar engine and have a payload of about 1200lbs (545kg). The diesel engine have slightly lower payload probably because it weighs more.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I'd like to see a heavy duty, off road capable jeep, ala Rubicon running gear, mated to a stripped, bare bones interior/exterior. Do away with all the darn plastic. curvy junk and give me a JEEP. Why the Rubi packages include all the bells and whistles instead of just items that make it a more effective off road vehicle is beyond me. Seemingly, the 2003 Rubicon was introduced to gives off road enthusiasts a great platform to start off with that included some of the harder mods already done, such as lockers, lower gearing, "oversized" tires that actually had an offroad biased tread. Would have been great if they would start off the Rubi package with just those basics, and leave the sound system, carpet, A/c... AND ALL THE DARN PLASTIC out. If I wanted an "SUV" I would buy one. If you look at American P/U truck mfg, they still offer "work" trucks. Vinyl seats, rubber mat "carpet", heavy duty everywhere needed without any of the plushness of a current fancy pants pick up... THAT's what I want in a Jeep. Seems like the J8 is what I am talking about...
My 2005 is my 7th jeep. I love it. I do, however, wish I never got rid of my first, a 1982 CJ8. Not for the value it would bring, but for the lack of plastic and other plush stuff...

HRPINDC

Adventurer
You know if they ever sold a J8 to the public that thing would be priced through the roof, just for the exclusivity if nothing else. Jeep probably figures that most people, myself included, use these as daily drivers far more than we wheel them. The nicer amenities have opened up brand new markets for them that would never have considered a Wrangler before. But I agree that they should offer a bare bones rig built on the Rubicon underpinnings for the sportsman who want to wheel the heck out of it. But then again, you could get the sport and have a blast building it. That's what I did with my first YJ.

406to417

Explorer
I think he maybe thinking of the J7 stripper from a few years ago.

I dont think the next Wrangler will have a solid axle, sadly.

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I think every car "enthusiast" wants the manufacture to create a "strip" down version of their best vehicle. It should only include 4 wheels, an engine and a manual tranny and cost "less" than the "base" model but outperform them. I don't think this "vehicle" has ever been created in a "modern" example. Porsche sort of did this with the Porsche Boxster Spyder in 2009 but it was MORE expensive, but it DID have less "crap" in it and faster. [ I guess it was a one off experiment ]

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I guess I should clarify some of my comments. I doubt there is a serious need for the vehicle I described. However it is one I would be interested in. So my article would have been "What I WANT in the next wrangler". Doubtful they would sell a bunch... but that was not the question. I have no need for all the niceties of the modern vehicle, other than those that help from a mechanical view point, as I mentioned before. I don't want to go 100% back to the past, I like things like fuel injection, seatbelts. I don't mind coil springs and air lockers...

I have a "commitment from my wife that when our little Joe gets old enough to drive, I can get an old jeep and make it brand new and go ahead and be my grumpy old self.

John

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I guess I should clarify some of my comments. I doubt there is a serious need for the vehicle I described. However it is one I would be interested in. So my article would have been "What I WANT in the next wrangler". Doubtful they would sell a bunch... but that was not the question. I have no need for all the niceties of the modern vehicle, other than those that help from a mechanical view point, as I mentioned before. I don't want to go 100% back to the past, I like things like fuel injection, seatbelts. I don't mind coil springs and air lockers...

I have a "commitment from my wife that when our little Joe gets old enough to drive, I can get an old jeep and make it brand new and go ahead and be my grumpy old self.

John

I think you are wrong, I believe that Jeep would sell a bunch of these "strippers". The problem is that it would be at the cost of their more expensive, higher profit models. The fact that I paid so much for my Jeep certainly weighs on me as I take it off-road. But at the end of the day, it's a Jeep and I love driving it.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'd like to see a heavy duty, off road capable jeep, ala Rubicon running gear, mated to a stripped, bare bones interior/exterior.

I've often wanted such a vehicle too.

Obviously it adds complexity in the manufacturing line, but I think it's important to note we're talking talking about not adding certain things (carpet, padding, etc.), so I would expect those Wranglers can just skip those steps on the line, which shouldn't actually be much of an impact.
And for other items (manual windows & locks, basic audio, no nav, etc.), other Wranglers are already being build with those, so the line can do it today.

HRPINDC said:
The problem is that it would be at the cost of their more expensive, higher profit models.
I don't see why that has to be the case.
Discount the Rubicon by the cost of the stuff that isn't in it, and keep the margin exactly where it is now.

Unfortunately, North American vehicles have been marketed and sold based on their add-on gimmicks for so long it will be nearly impossible to go back.

(Slightly off topic rant)
I always thought this was best exemplified by my '96 XJ Country. The body panels were put together to the nearest 1/2 inch, but the mirror on the back of the sun visor not only had a light when you lifted the cover flap, there was also a dimmer switch for that light.
Why on earth would they spend time and money putting a dimmer switch on a visor mirror light when I could fit my fingers between some body panels?
Because that kind of crap is what marketing latches onto and uses to sell vehicles, not the actual fundamentals of a vehicle. If we were buying vehicles for the fundamentals, we'd only be buying them every ~5-7 years, and obviously they need us to buy more often than that, therefore all the gimmicky crap.

-Dan

romz26

Observer
It would be awesome if we can order a stripped down version. More like the people in the know would go in and order from check boxes. Start with stripped 4dr jeep and let us have at it. I would probably get no carpet, nav, and hard top. Send it off to get bed liner, and build a sleeping platform.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I bought my '12 Sport with only 2 options checked; A/C and 3.73 gears.

I understand some of you guys saying you want the stripped model, but with the front D44 and lockers (cause that's what I want too, plus headlights that actually put out light), but but I don't understand those of you saying you don't want nav, heated seats, plastic side pannels, etc... Why not just buy a base Sport, add lockers, remove the interior plastic pannels, and save thousands of dollars?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Why not just buy a base Sport, add lockers, remove the interior plastic pannels, and save thousands of dollars?

That's certainly an option.

The downsides are:

* No warranty on all those mods.
* No D44 in the front (which is a HUGE must for me)
* No extra low gearing in the transfer case
* No e-disconnect for the sway bar
* No 4:10 ratio in the diffs.

Certainly you could make all those changes to a Sport, but I think the price is extremely close to a wash.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1