Me and the Moonlander!

ywen

Explorer
Got the Surly Pugsley last night.. this morning discovered some sort of nasty pitted pattern (corrosion?) on the seat stay and exposed raw steel as well.. ****** kind of QC do they do there? I don't even have this defect on my cheapo bikesdirect bike.

pug_frame2.jpgpug_frame1.jpgpug_frame3.jpg

Last edited:

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
Looks like it rubbed in the packaging, maybe even before the paint was dry! Call them and e-mail your pics to them! Sometimes the front wheel does that to the frame when in the box.

:Wow1:

ywen

Explorer
I think it might be surface contamination during the powder coating process, based on what some other said.. These bikes are all powder coated.... Anyways couldn't reorder the bike as REI doesn't stock them anymore. So I ended up keeping it...

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I think it might be surface contamination during the powder coating process, based on what some other said.. These bikes are all powder coated.... Anyways couldn't reorder the bike as REI doesn't stock them anymore. So I ended up keeping it...

Bummer on the paint! Just ride it and by next month you will have long forgotten about that blemish. How do you like the ride?

Gear

San Elijo Hills - June 5, 2012

Moonlander-SanElijoHills-1203.jpg

Out and about in the hills of San Elijo. I'll be honest, I am having a really hard time getting motivated to ride. It seems I have ridden most of the trails around and with the temperatures rising I find myself looking for excuses to not get on the bike.

On a side note my new tires should be in today. So hopefully that will give me some motivation.
Moonlander-SanElijoHills-8603.jpg

I was able to ride this new section of trail.

Moonlander-SanElijoHills2-8619.jpg

Moonlander-SanElijoHills3-8654.jpg

Down and around the backside of Double Peak.

SanElijoHills.jpg

Distance 8.0 miles
Elevation 1057 feet
Moving Average 8.2 mph

Vegakat

We all really enjoy your ride reports on the Moonlander. By the way I can not feel sorry for you on your so called hot weather... I wish I was back there right now. Thanks again for sharing with us, you have me looking for a Fat Bike now! I am sure my wife thanks you....

Gear

Vista Del Mar - June 6, 2012

Moonlander-VistaDelMar-8724.jpg

Today I did an easy paced ride into La Costa Preserve. This is a photograph of Denk Mountain's north side. The access road, although not visible do to the vegetation, zigs and then zags up to the top.

Moonlander-VistaDelMar5-8828.jpg

Coming down the back side on the Vista Del Mar Trail.

Moonlander-VistaDelMar6-8872.jpg

Great views and a little bit of dust today!

Moonlander-VistaDelMar8-8930.jpg

The trail gets it's name because Del Mar, CA is off in the distance.

Moonlander-VistaDelMar10-9092.jpg

This is one of those nasty plants that you don't pay much attention too, unless it is in bloom!

VistaDelMar-1.jpg

Distance 8.3 miles
Elevation 1032 feet
Moving Average 7.8 mph

Gear

1500 miles on the Moonlander!

Moonlander-VistaDelMar4-8804.jpg

135 days of riding
1503.9 miles to date
139,177 feet of elevation

11.1 miles per day average
1030 feet per day average

One Flat Tire
One Bottom Bracket
One Front Quick Release Skewer
New Tires will be added shortly

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
Bummer on the paint! Just ride it and by next month you will have long forgotten about that blemish. How do you like the ride?

I took out on some single track this past weekend and it was fun as hell... the fat tires rolled over roots like it was nothing... It didn't feel that much slower than my normal MTB...

Gear

I took out on some single track this past weekend and it was fun as hell... the fat tires rolled over roots like it was nothing... It didn't feel that much slower than my normal MTB...

Cool! Now it's time for you to bust out the camera and document a ride or two.

Gear

Big Fat Larry - June 6, 2012

Moonlander-VistaDelMar7-8896.jpg

The tread on the Moonlander was looking more like a slick then a mountain bike tire.

Moonlander-BigFatLarry4-1214.jpg

So I treated myself to two new tires for the Moonlander. Cost $99 a tire.

Moonlander-BigFatLarry2-1207.jpg

Here is the old rear tire with the new one for comparisons. On closer inspection I believe I could have easily ridden these for several hundred more miles. With that said I am going to enjoy the new traction and keep the older one as a spare.

Moonlander-BigFatLarry3-1215.jpg

Here's to the next 1500 miles.

NotAMog

Observer
Now I'm a Moonie!

Ok, it's all Justin's fault! :) He let me ride his Moonlander at OX12 and I immediately fell it love with it. :sombrero:

I drove 120 miles one way :smiley_drive: and spent most of the day at Topanga Creek Bicycles. They have a great rental program where you can take out some pretty esoteric mountain bikes for an extended test ride. The cost of up to 5 rentals can go toward the purchase of a bike. I took a Moonlander out on some of the roads and trails near the shop to make sure it was a bike I really wanted. There was lots of climbing but the bike and I did better than I expected considering I haven't been riding much for the last 5 years. If anyone in Southern California is thinking of getting a Moonlander and wants to try it out first this is probably the only bike shop that has one for test rides. Chris Kelley, the proprietor, is a really cool guy and he took the time to answer my questions despite the shop getting pretty busy at times. They have the widest array of Brooks saddles and bags I've ever seen along with a lot of other cool bike accessories you don't commonly see in other bike stores. The first time I got a Brooks saddle it took 2 years of searching bike shops before I found the model I was looking for (pre Internet days). He probably has at least one of every model from the Brooks catalog.

Needless to say, I ordered an 18" Moonlander when I got back to the shop. I couldn't resist the Brooks leather grips and wood bottle cages I found at the store to go with it. It should look very retro yet strangely modern when I get it. He doesn't floor new Moonlanders so you need to order them which only takes a week or two.

One thing I found is that riding a Moonlander is worse for getting attention than driving a Pinzgauer. I'm sure Justin can comment on this since he has a Pinzgauer as well. During my 10 mile or so ride I had people driving cars stop and ask about it, about half the cyclists I encountered asked about it, hikers asked about it and I even had one guy in a car pull along side as I was going down Topanga Canyon Road and roll his window down to ask about it while we were moving. From growing up with, and owning unusual old cars, recumbent bicycles, and a Pinzgauer I've learned that curiosity from people is to be expected but I didn't anticipate the level I found with the Moonlander. I can see that, as with the Pinzgauer, I won't want to use it for running common errands unless I'm willing to spend some time answering people's questions.

Now I'm waiting with anticipation to get the bike. I've already starting rescheduling my summer activities to include extra mountain biking time. It should be a great summer of riding and getting to know the capabilities of the Moonlander.

Bruce

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1