Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Not a lot of progress to report.

Did manage to add the switches into the overhead console for the lighting. Marking the cutout location for the switch panel.

20161223_131657.jpg

20161223_184025.jpg

20161223_134921.jpg

20161223_184357.jpg

20161223_184439.jpg

Fabricating pieces for the windshield light mounts...more to come on those.

20161224_115855.jpg

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Got a little work done today, seems like a lot of time is spent just staring at it and trying to figure out how I want stuff designed.

First up cut the hole for the radio in the over head console. I fabricated a support tab that was welded in behind the radio, should be nice and secure. I went with a receiver only unit that doesn't have a CD player since I mainly use Bluetooth from my phone, these radios aren't as deep and works out nicely in the console. You can also see small spacers welded onto the back side of the cutouts that allow the clips on the switches and radio to full engage the console.

PC261489.jpg

PC261493.jpg

Next up I wanted to get the mounts fabricated for the LED lights that will be mounted below the windshield. There were a bunch of holes left in the body from the RW1 light mast that used to be bolted in this location, these were welded in and ground smooth before starting on the brackets.

PC261446.jpg

PC261453.jpg

I went back and forth on a couple design ideas for the light brackets and ultimately decided on going with a clean and simple approach. With the help of some CAD work (Cardboard Aided Design) we tested out a couple different configurations for fit.

20161226_132633.jpg

Fabricating the passenger side bracket. The bracket is build to follow the angles of the cab.

20161226_135738.jpg

PC261457.jpg

PC261463.jpg

And mounted on the truck with the Baja Designs Squadron Pro light installed.

PC261471.jpg

PC261474.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I love working with metal...wood not so much :). A DOKA would be awesome!

Finished the drivers side light bracket, those are done for now.

PC280209.jpg

PC280217.jpg

PC280218.jpg

Next up...headlights. The headlights on the U1300L are some of the worst that I've ever driven behind, and that's saying something because the Syncro's stock headlights sucked as well. After doing a lot of reading I decided on Hella 90mm lights in Halogen. Originally I wanted to go with Xenon but decided for the money these will be fine, plus I'll have a large compliment of LED lights to back them up when needed :). Each light will have a 70 watt bulb.

We were going to build a full custom bumper for the truck but ultimately decided that the stock bumper is pretty hard to beat, it's very functional, stout and looks pretty dang good. We will be making some sort of brush guard to fit the stock bumper in the near future. Since we are keeping the bumper we needed to build adapters for the Hella 90mm lights. These will replace both the stock lights and buckets.

Stock headlight assy, and bucket that will be removed.

PC300229.jpg

PC300231.jpg

Using the stock trim rings for a pattern.

PC2902519.jpg

PC290222.jpg

Laying out the holes to be cut/drilled.

PC300233.jpg

Both plates drilled and ready to accept lights.

PC300241.jpg

This is the high beam assy. The light is supported by its adjusters, the adjusters snap into the Hella metal mounting plate. If you build the front assy the same thickness as the Hella mounting plate the plastic adjuster cups would snap right into the front plate and there would only be 3 holes per light. Since my plate is thicker I will have 7 holes per light, 4 holes will mount the Hella mounting plate to my front plate and the three larger holes will allow the plastic adjuster cups to clear my plate. The whole assy will be powder coated black when finished and I'll use black hardware for the mounting. I'll use a good amount of dielectric grease and extend the vent line up into the engine bay to keep the lights waterproof.

PC300245.jpg

PC290219.jpg

Temporarily mounted in the plate.

PC300252.jpg

PC300253.jpg

PC300256.jpg

PC300257.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

thebigblue

Adventurer
Nice to go with the HELLAs, I would love if you did the lights fully integrated as om the Excap Steyr

Excap2.jpg

or ATLAS Unimogs

Unterfahrschutz.jpg

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Nice to go with the HELLAs, I would love if you did the lights fully integrated as om the Excap Steyr

Excap2.jpg

or ATLAS Unimogs

Unterfahrschutz.jpg

That was the original plan when we were going to make a complete bumper. I still may build one down the road, for now lots of other things to build before spring :)

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Another bit of progress today on the headlight install.

Fabricating the mounts for the light plate.

PC310263.jpg

PC310288.jpg

Mounts and front light plate. I added a guard to cover the top of the lights, it will protect the lights from anything falling from above...tools, etc. The outside mount is wider to act as a shield for the lights, the inside light is protected by the factory bumper assy. Originally I was going to use these with the factory buckets so I had drilled the mounting holes in those locations, I then decided to ditch the stock buckets so I could now weld up the holes or make mounts to accommodate the existing holes. In the end I decided just to make the mounts for the existing holes.

PC310283.jpg

PC310277.jpg

PC310275.jpg

Both lights fitted.

PC310295.jpg

And mounted up in the bumper. You can see the top and side guard here.

PC310324.jpg

PC310302.jpg

Comparison between the new and old. Should look a lot better once the bumper and light assy is powder coated black.

PC310315.jpg

PC310309.jpg

PC310310.jpg

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Inspiration for washers:

mog-hella.PNG

That's the pic that gave me the idea for these lights. I don't see a huge need for washers on mine, If they get that bad I'll hop out and clean them :). Hellgeth used thinner metal on their mounts so they didn't have to drill the extra mounting holes for the Hella adapter, they build nice stuff!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Finished up the headlights for now.

Fabricating the drivers side bracket, the second one always goes a lot quicker once you have the design nailed down.

P1010326.jpg

And both brackets completed. I applied a quick (and sloppy lol) spray paint job to keep them from rusting for now, they will be powder coated this spring.

P1010332.jpg

P1020344.jpg

Brackets mounted up.

P1020350.jpg

And finished for now, I'll use different hardware during the final install after powder coating. I really like the looks of the Hella's on the 1300 :)

P1020353.jpg

P1020368_1.jpg

P1020359.jpg

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1