Minimum EV Range Requirement for Touring Western U.S.

billiebob

Therefore my estimate is, that these numbers are also valid for the U.S.. This means an EPA range of 300-400 miles should be sufficient.
Man oh man.... how I wish my 4.0L gasoline straight six in my TJ Rubicon had a 300 mile range. Best case overlanding is closer to 200 miles. We are critical of an EVs range but when compared to real world ICE range of a 4x4 setup to overland..... current EVs are pretty comparable.

400 miles without an after market fuel supply is unrealistic in North America.... even with gas or diesel.

For the next 20 years I think hybrid is the best option. Pure electric plug in but with a high efficiency gasoline generator on board strictly for charging when there is no super charger near by.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Except my Hybrid plugin Ford crushes the Prius on ride quality, cabin noise, interior quality “cooled seats” and mileage!!! So no I’d say Toyota fell asleep for 10yrs and let marketing run the show.
It’s a trade off in features vs reliability. I have on old friend that buys/sells Prius. The batteries last a long time and they are cheap to repair.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It’s a trade off in features vs reliability. I have on old friend that buys/sells Prius. The batteries last a long time and they are cheap to repair.
Lol yeah funny enough same tech just packaged better with a charge port on the left side for left hand drive vehicles. I’ll never put 350,000 miles on mine so reliability is a non issue

jkam

nomadic man
To me, a diesel hybrid makes sense.
Let the diesel run a generator to provide power when needed.
If the diesel is efficient enough, you could leave it running all the time. Something a diesel doesn't mind.
Then you would always have enough power for whatever you wanted to do.
All electric for my lifestyle would mean a very large solar array and about a weeks downtime.
Neither of which I am willing to put up with.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
To me, a diesel hybrid makes sense.
Let the diesel run a generator to provide power when needed.
If the diesel is efficient enough, you could leave it running all the time. Something a diesel doesn't mind.
Then you would always have enough power for whatever you wanted to do.
All electric for my lifestyle would mean a very large solar array and about a weeks downtime.
Neither of which I am willing to put up with.
Maybe a diesel made in mid 2000s. I loved my 2006 5.9 Cummins. 325hp, 650ish ftlb of torque- and it was fairly simple and basic under the hood.

T-Willy

Man oh man.... how I wish my 4.0L gasoline straight six in my TJ Rubicon had a 300 mile range. Best case overlanding is closer to 200 miles. We are critical of an EVs range but when compared to real world ICE range of a 4x4 setup to overland..... current EVs are pretty comparable.

I agree that EV truck range is, or will soon be, similar to many ICE vehicles' range (300 or so miles). But the lack of charging stations in remote places requires more range from EV trucks than ICE trucks (in my opinion).

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I agree that EV truck range is, or will soon be, similar to many ICE vehicles' range (300 or so miles). But the lack of charging stations in remote places requires more range from EV trucks than ICE trucks (in my opinion).
And I can easily double my trucks range by carrying more gas in cans. Carrying extra electrons is not so easy or cheap.

It's not only range, it is range at temperature. I have at least 3 trips every winter that could get below 0ºF. I need 300 miles range at that temperature. I loose very little range at 0ºF with a gas engine.

Boatbuilder79

I love to fish, but bought instead of built. I am working on a 10’ stitch and glue for my son. He wanted his one boat and I “thought” it would be a fun project..?

I built a 12’ stitch and glue Jon boat for reservoir fishing and a 16’ center console for inshore coastal fishing. then I bought an old 20’ cc off Craigslist and replaced everything. I call it my “offshore boat” even though it’s not really big enough I sometimes use poor judgement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp