Minimum EV Range Requirement for Touring Western U.S.

billiebob

I agree that EV truck range is, or will soon be, similar to many ICE vehicles' range (300 or so miles). But the lack of charging stations in remote places requires more range from EV trucks than ICE trucks (in my opinion).
Exactly which is why if you want to overland with a pure electric you are going to gear your trips according to charging availability.

We all do this already with ICE overlanders. We start with a full tank of fuel and we refuel often. With gas those refueling options are plentiful unless a natural disaster causes problems. But even with all the gas stations out there people run out of gas.

The popularity of the Tacoma/F150 is because there are plenty of places where they excel mostly because they own half the market and the market responds with roads and facilities to support those trips.... or the other way around.... Ford and Toyota have built vehicles to overland on the average back road using facilities that exist everywhere.

With a Hummer/Wrangler the challenges are different but same thing, we build our trips around what the vehicle can do and exploit each vehicles strengths.

Anyone picking a pure electric vehicle to overland with has accepted the challenge of finding "fuel". And that is half of the adventure.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Exactly which is why if you want to overland with a pure electric you are going to gear your trips according to charging availability.

We all do this already with ICE overlanders. We start with a full tank of fuel and we refuel often. With gas those refueling options are plentiful unless a natural disaster causes problems. But even with all the gas stations out there people run out of gas.

The popularity of the Tacoma/F150 is because there are plenty of places where they excel mostly because they own half the market and the market responds with roads and facilities to support those trips.... or the other way around.... Ford and Toyota have built vehicles to overland on the average back road using facilities that exist everywhere.

With a Hummer/Wrangler the challenges are different but same thing, we build our trips around what the vehicle can do and exploit each vehicles strengths.

Anyone picking a pure electric vehicle to overland with has accepted the challenge of finding "fuel". And that is half of the adventure.
EV long range trips refueling is a big part of the trip. ICE vehicle refueling is basically a non
Factor unless your driving a fuel pig with a thimble sized tank. Which case most people move on to a better suited vehicle sooner or later. Or tow the piggy with something that has legs/range. Lol

craig333

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't work for me. I spend most of my trips deep into the wilds. My 35gal tank on my truck is barely big enough now. However, I could slowly charge an EV with solar. Can't make my own diesel.

billiebob

EV long range trips refueling is a big part of the trip. ICE vehicle refueling is basically a non
Factor unless your driving a fuel pig with a thimble sized tank. Which case most people move on to a better suited vehicle sooner or later. Or tow the piggy with something that has legs/range. Lol
only a non factor because we were born into it.......
point is our grandkids will be born into the EV thing.

100 years ago the horse people called the car a noisy, smelly fad and grass was growing on every field no refuelling needed.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
only a non factor because we were born into it.......
point is our grandkids will be born into the EV thing.

100 years ago the horse people called the car a noisy, smelly fad.
Its a thing due to few charging stations and also inconsistent performance at said chargers. Not really an issue we see at gas stations.

billiebob

Europe is toying with some cool ideas.
Like a trailer with electric motors. The car is the car and only needs to power the car.
The trailer with batteries and motors powers itself. We already put brakes on trailers.... why not engines. Think AWD revisited.

On the negativity thing of batteries, think what a cell phone was 40 years ago and think where EVs might be in 20 years.
All this could do was make a phone call..... and only if THE cell tower was close. We just built LOTS of cell towers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

first-cell-phone-cooper.jpg

Heck you can charge a cell phone without wires today.
In 40 years maybe you won't need batteries in that EV overlander.... it'll collect power continuously from a satillite.... and NEVER run out of "gas".

******** Tracey in the comics, 1965.....
good god Expedition Portal..... PLEASE recognize that Bill is short for William.... like ******** is short for Richard

R.aeb1bb1be4543e743c13649cb7d67a54.jpeg

ps, if I wanted to call someone a ********.... I'd spell it dyck.

Please send the guy who thought up this algorythm back to Grade 8.

Last edited:

billiebob

Its a thing due to few charging stations and also inconsistent performance at said chargers. Not really an issue we see at gas stations.
hey, how about this..... you waited for someone else to fuel up with the HOT gas so you could get MORE COLD gas.... back then there was no
Volume Corrected Measure to 15C ..... inconsistent performance is an evolution.......
Regulated by governments.

The reason for canopies over gas pumps 100 years ago had nothing to do with rain.
It was to control thermal expansion of the gasoline in the glass vial.

DSCN2989.jpeg

We will get there. The global momentum will get us there. Within 10 years charging will be as easy as gassing up.

Middle of OilBerta..... leader in the I'll never change movement......
Note the lack of signage or kiosk or ..... anything. Just a plug in the middle of no where.
No need for a truck carrying dangerous goods. No staff. No cashier, No spill response lever.......
There are ZERO downsides to dumping ICEs and buying EVs.... even farmers are moving to all the IT EV thing advantages.
DSCN3122.jpeg

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
For a guy who acts like EV's are going to save the world and preaches constantly that we all need one so we can get rid of our ICE vehicles, you sure don't practice what you preach when you drive that jeep and are so proud to show us where you gas up, a station with dispensers from the 1940's with absolutely no emissions devices on them! Pollute much Mr. Hypocrite!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
hey, how about this..... you waited for someone else to fuel up with the HOT gas so you could get MORE COLD gas.... back then there was no
Volume Corrected Measure to 15C ..... inconsistent performance is an evolution.......
Regulated by governments.

The reason for canopies over gas pumps 100 years ago had nothing to do with rain.
It was to control thermal expansion of the gasoline in the glass vial.

View attachment 708006

We will get there. The global momentum will get us there. Within 10 years charging will be as easy as gassing up.

Middle of OilBerta..... leader in the I'll never change movement......
Note the lack of signage or kiosk or ..... anything. Just a plug in the middle of no where.
No need for a truck carrying dangerous goods. No staff. No cashier, No spill response lever.......
There are ZERO downsides to dumping ICEs and buying EVs.... even farmers are moving to all the IT EV thing advantages.
View attachment 708008
Have you bought an EV yet- zero downside and all???
I’d like a rivian but the cost is a downside

billiebob

To me, a diesel hybrid makes sense.
Let the diesel run a generator to provide power when needed.
If the diesel is efficient enough, you could leave it running all the time. Something a diesel doesn't mind.
Then you would always have enough power for whatever you wanted to do.
All electric for my lifestyle would mean a very large solar array and about a weeks downtime.
Neither of which I am willing to put up with.
Diesel is dead. The new ones are cobbled up with so many emissions controls and electronics they are more unreliable than a Pinto. Plus soo many cities are banning them from the city center. Even truckers hate the new DEF systems. Diesel is going to drive the conversion to electric vehicles.

D

Deleted member 144299

Range will become less important once the charging infrastructure is further developed, it's not like my Tacoma gets 500 miles per tank. The last trip I did through the Mojave Desert I spent almost a week slowly cruising around and only came out to fill up once, that fill up taking several hours would not have been a big deal because I tend to travel slow. Admittedly getting to the Mojave Desert would be my biggest concern with charge times but it's something I can deal with.

I also have been cutting/upgrading gear to travel lighter, I never tow anything and have been moving away from extended overland trips to sail more. I am holding out for the next few years to see what other EV's come to the market but my next camping rig will be electric. Fingers crossed the EV compact cruiser is worth looking at!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Range will become less important once the charging infrastructure is further developed, it's not like my Tacoma gets 500 miles per tank. The last trip I did through the Mojave Desert I spent almost a week slowly cruising around and only came out to fill up once, that fill up taking several hours would not have been a big deal because I tend to travel slow. Admittedly getting to the Mojave Desert would be my biggest concern with charge times but it's something I can deal with.

I also have been cutting/upgrading gear to travel lighter, I never tow anything and have been moving away from extended overland trips to sail more. I am holding out for the next few years to see what other EV's come to the market but my next camping rig will be electric. Fingers crossed the EV compact cruiser is worth looking at!
When my old diesel is due for a rebuild we’ll go EV replacement. If I upgrade the old boat to something new it will be an EV system boat. Or likely buy a modern used boat and swap in the EV system. I just put 5 gallons of diesel in the old boat. Last time I did that was 2018. We sail 2-4 times a month yr around.

D

Deleted member 144299

I've been really interested in the electric sailboat concept and it's been kinda funny to see old salt's freak out, sailing is very much "stick to the tired and true" for good reason but man are some folks resistant to change! The drastic reduction in maintenance is enough to make me consider it alone.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've been really interested in the electric sailboat concept and it's been kinda funny to see old salt's freak out, sailing is very much "stick to the tired and true" for good reason but man are some folks resistant to change! The drastic reduction in maintenance is enough to make me consider it alone.
Check out sailing UMA on you tube. They just spent nearly a yr sailing the upper latitudes went to the top. All electric system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp