My Jeep FC170 (Forward Control) "Patina Rod" project

1x1_Speed_Craig

Continue to follow the build (with a new owner) on the FC170 Patina Rod Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FC170PatinaRod/

I'm layin' down a disclaimer right out of the gate. This will not be a quick build, so all of you fine "microwave society" citizens might not get the immediate gratification out of watching my (slow) build thread. Watching paint dry? Much faster. Watching grass grow? Oh yeah...still faster. But what I build, I build right.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I ultimately chose "Jeep", even though it also could have gone in "Domestic: Full Size" (keep reading).

After a year+ of not owning a Jeep, and just focusing on my now 13-year-old daughter's 2-door XJ build (build thread HERE), I got myself into another big project that'll eventually give me some great utility, and have some great character at the same time.

This will be a relatively low-budget build utilizing late-model drivetrain parts (many I already have), with an attempt to maintain the character/patina of the FC cab. Here's the plan...

• Repair the floors in the cab and neutralize exterior rust as much as possible. Prep/paint the interior nicely, but retain the existing exterior paint scheme/patina, rust, etc.
  • Mount the cab on a 2008 Ford F350 Cab and Chassis frame (see below) painted nicely in satin black.
  • Mid-engine install of a '95 Cummins 6BT, 47RH 4WD transmission and 2001 Dodge NP241 DHD Transfer Case.
  • Build custom bumpers.
  • Build a semi-custom bed. The original bed is shot, so repair is not an option. Some of you chimed in and suggested rebuilding a bed like the stock one, but for me, the flatbed will give me the utility I need, and be a lot easier/cheaper than trying to reconstruct the stock-style bed.
  • Tire size? Stock F350 (~31-32" tall).
  • Must be built with a meager budget.

The FC170 cab donor (see below). I originally started with a different "Dan's Snowplowing" FC170 cab, but plans changed when I found the (better-condition) gray/patina FC170.
fc_chassis_cab_frame_side-by-side.jpg

fc_chassis_cab_frame_mockup.jpg

Jeep Commander "Saddle Brown" leather seats blend beautifully with the patina, and will add a touch of class to the interior. Matching custom leather arm rests and sun visors will complement the seats.
fc_interior_commander_leather.jpg

I wanted a stout, longer-than-stock heavy-duty frame for my project. Rather than work with the original frame, I decide to mount the cab on a late-model F350 Cab & Chassis frame, allowing me to use off-the-shelf suspension & axle parts. Ultimately, I landed on using a 74K-mile 2008 frame, which included the fuel tank, lines, etc. It also has the side pieces for a hitch (but not the center section).

The Ford Body Builder Guide on the Ford Fleet site has been an incredible resource for dimensional data.
fc_design_service_body_rendering.jpg

I got the narrow F350 Cab & Chassis Dana 80 (71.1" WMS-to-WMS) from the same 2008 F350 C&C. Gear ratio is 3.73.
fc_chassis_dana80_rear_axle.jpg

The front axle is a Dana Super 60 (3.73 ratio) from a 105K-mile 2005 F350 pick-up. I replaced the ball joints, U-joints & pinion seal, and am just finishing up getting the axle & suspension parts cleaned up & painted.
fc_chassis_dana60_front_axle.jpg

1994 Cummins 12v 6BT, 230K miles
fc_drivetrain_dodge2500_teardown_with_girls.jpg

Rebuilt 1994-1995 Dodge 47RH 4WD automatic transmission & 2001 NP241 DHD transfer case
fc_drivetrain_47rh_np241dhd_assembled.jpg

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice I used to own a couple of FC170's years ago. They are fun to drive. The fcconnection is a website that has some pretty good info on repairing these fine rigs. The width of your new front axle will stick the tires past your cab a ways. I was reading somewhere online about someone that had the same idea as you and was looking for ideas. One of the ideas was do what Dodge did when they used the A100 cab on medium duty trucks, they made big flat fenders that followed the stock wheel wells and covered the tires, looked pretty good. I can't for the life of me remember what website I saw that on.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Pirate 4x4 under the tow rig forum had the guy I was thinking about who wanted to put his FC on a new dually chassis. Also bb.bc4x4.com has a guy who put a Mercedes OM617 engine and older travel trailer on a FC170 to make one really nice ride. I would love to get another FC but have enough projects.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
should be able to fit the 4.0L in no problem (the OM617 need the floor bumped for the injector pump on one side and turbo on the other...no much room was left for seats... I also seen a few with ford 300 sixes (4.9L inlines) which fit the factory hole...

there are photos around on one of the FC sites of the supercab that someone did in the 1970s looked and worked great

1x1_Speed_Craig

Nice I used to own a couple of FC170's years ago. They are fun to drive. The fcconnection is a website that has some pretty good info on repairing these fine rigs. The width of your new front axle will stick the tires past your cab a ways. I was reading somewhere online about someone that had the same idea as you and was looking for ideas. One of the ideas was do what Dodge did when they used the A100 cab on medium duty trucks, they made big flat fenders that followed the stock wheel wells and covered the tires, looked pretty good. I can't for the life of me remember what website I saw that on.

Pirate 4x4 under the tow rig forum had the guy I was thinking about who wanted to put his FC on a new dually chassis. Also bb.bc4x4.com has a guy who put a Mercedes OM617 engine and older travel trailer on a FC170 to make one really nice ride. I would love to get another FC but have enough projects.

Thanks shortbus4x4. I have perused the FC Connection site a lot (great info & photos there). As far as the front axle goes, I can have the front axle narrowed if I must (trying to avoid it). I have a local shop (www.rocksolidperformance.com) that I have worked very closely with in the past, including building their website (and another one for one of the owner's other businesses).

Here is the FC170 I built a while ago...updated chassis will be nice. If I did it again I would add 2-3 feet behind the back window (extra cab)...

I used the stock chassis with dana44/dana60 from a 1990s dodge 250 powered OM617 stock auto divorced NP205...

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?123204-My-FC170-Build

thedjjack - VERY nice work. I have read through your build several times in the past. Great job. I used to daily-drive an '80 300TD wagon (which, despite the name, ironically was normally aspirated) and brewed my own biodiesel also. The car loved it.

Question - Did you leave the Dodge Dana 44/60 axles at their stock (original) width?

should be able to fit the 4.0L in no problem...

there are photos around on one of the FC sites of the supercab that someone did in the 1970s looked and worked great

I'm hoping so re: the 4.0L. Regarding a supercab...too big of a project for me at this point. I will say that I love the look of the military quad cabs, but I'm trying to preserve the original look of my cab as much as I can.

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
I've seen a FC with the 4.0 installed in it. I'll try to scare up the images. IIRC the images just show the engine housing removed with the 4.0 sitting in the bay. May have been a 258... can't remember.

1x1_Speed_Craig

I've seen a FC with the 4.0 installed in it. I'll try to scare up the images. IIRC the images just show the engine housing removed with the 4.0 sitting in the bay. May have been a 258... can't remember.

I'd love to see that. I have searched several times, but haven't been able to find any photos of one of these actually installed in an FC.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I'd love to see that. I have searched several times, but haven't been able to find any photos of one of these actually installed in an FC.

See attached. Thought there was an image showing the engine bay but I must have been mistaken as I wasn't able to find any further images.

Attachments

• FC170_with_258.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 108

thedjjack

Dream it build it
yep stock axles with stock steel rims fit perfect under the cab.. It was just stock W250 axles with the vacuum disconnect.

steering is really interesting to connect... The big guru that has the annual FC meets in Arizona has done tons of different frames, motors.

1x1_Speed_Craig

yep stock axles with stock steel rims fit perfect under the cab.. It was just stock W250 axles with the vacuum disconnect.

steering is really interesting to connect... The big guru that has the annual FC meets in Arizona has done tons of different frames, motors.

Great to know! Thanks. I'm researching power steering options now (Astro/Safari Van steering box appears to have potential).

On an unrelated note, what do you see here? I see replacement cab corners & sheet metal for my FC cab. Big thanks to my buddy Kyle for the scrap FC170 roof. The profile of the corners should work pretty well for the lower body corners. I traded an XJ 242 transfer case for a bunch of misc. parts...some sheet metal (including some floor pan sections coming soon) that I'll use to patch my FC cab, a better set of seats, and some small parts I was missing.

1545905_10202876132334249_1616074728_n.jpg

Last edited:

91AzXJ

Adventurer
My dad had a FC170 with a Myers snow plow on it when I was a kid and I loved that truck. I would love to find one to build but don't want to deal with the rust issue and rust free examples are very costly. Good luck with this and I will definately be watching.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
somewhere on one of the FC forms someone found a cab corner that almost fits perfect from another truck (available as a new patch panel)... my cab just need the access floor panels replaced and the top of the windshield everything else was rust free...It blew the head gasket and got parked in a barn for 35 years...

1x1_Speed_Craig

Thanks to my friend Kyle for letting me take a bunch more donor sheet metal from a scrap FC170 body of his. This will make repairing mine much easier (relatively speaking). The upper cab corners will eventually become new lower corners for mine, and the stampings in the floor panels will allow me to repair mine with a factory-like look.

I'm also heading to the Detroit area next weekend to pick up the suspension and front axle from a donor 2005 F350 that had 105K miles on it when it was hit in the rear. More to come after that trip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1