My Jeep FC170 (Forward Control) "Patina Rod" project

1x1_Speed_Craig

Arrived this week...

1. Timken axle seals for the back of the knuckles (behind the unit bearings), and also where the shafts enter the axle tubes on the housing.
  2. Shiny nuts. These M12 grade-10, zinc-coated flange nuts are for the coil spring seats. I didn't like the nylock ones I bought before, and will replace them with these.

Last edited:

wmeyer116

wmeyer116
All of your chassis end up looking so clean and professional after you painted them. What kind of black paint are you using for the frame/axles and brackets?

1x1_Speed_Craig

All of your chassis end up looking so clean and professional after you painted them. What kind of black paint are you using for the frame/axles and brackets?

Thanks. I've used Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black on this truck, and most of my daughter's 2-door Cherokee project (among other projects). I'm very pleased with the finish. I haven't tried Eastwood's newer 2K Chassis Black yet, but it may be something to check out, as well.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Just catching up on your thread. Great work. Remarkable inventiveness (is that a word) how you are modifying and reusing so much. Nice work.

John

1x1_Speed_Craig

Just catching up on your thread. Great work. Remarkable inventiveness (is that a word) how you are modifying and reusing so much. Nice work.

John

Much appreciated, John. I have a vision as to how it'll look when it's done (I'm an artist, and think that helps somewhat). I'm happy with how it's coming together, even though I'd prefer to stay home and work on the truck most days vs. going to work (completed faster). ;)

1x1_Speed_Craig

I got the custom Saddle Brown leather arm rest covers installed. It took about 30-45 minutes each...well worth the effort! I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Next up...custom sun visor covers in the same-color leather.

fc_interior_arm_rests_1.jpg

fc_interior_arm_rests_2.jpg

Last edited:

1x1_Speed_Craig

I got the wiring harness removed (and labeled), along with the heater lines. The Cummins engine is looking leaner & meaner.

Warn also sent me this "I'm sorry our packaging on your last order sucked" package (Winch Accessory Kit, P/N 88900), which I received today. I'm thoroughly impressed! It's a $175 value. Did I mention I'm impressed? It'll be great for the "expedition" theme of the FC.

fc_misc_warn_winch_accessory_kit.jpg

Last edited:

94Discovery

Adventurer
I got the wiring harness removed (and labeled), along with the heater lines. The Cummins engine is looking leaner & meaner.

10253951_10206830262785039_6802070691608724113_n.jpg

Warn also sent me this "I'm sorry our packaging on your last order sucked" package (Winch Accessory Kit, P/N 88900), which I received today. I'm thoroughly impressed! It's a $175 value. Did I mention I'm impressed? It'll be great for the "expedition" theme of the FC.

11390148_10206830222944043_5907591592457413605_n.jpg
Cannot wait to see this engine detailed .
You are a very patient man and the attention to detailes are encredible :)

1x1_Speed_Craig

Cannot wait to see this engine detailed .
You are a very patient man and the attention to detailes are encredible :)

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Does Buffalo Bill ("Silence of the Lambs") come to mind? The 3rd-row Jeep Commander seats have been de-skinned for donor leather that'll be used for other FC cab accents (sun visors, grab bar wrap, etc.). For the $65 I paid for this set of seats, there is lots of nice leather there.

fc_interior_commander_donor_leather.jpg

The 3rd-row Jeep Commander seats also have these slick, spring-loaded, cable-actuated headrest brackets (used to automatically fold the headrest forward/down when the seats fold). In the spirit of rat rod ingenuity, I think I'll reuse these for some quick-access in-floor storage compartments.

fc_interior_commander_spring-loaded_headrests.jpg

Here are my naked FC170 sun visors. I used some 2-part epoxy to make them a little more rigid where the fiber board meets the metal hanger. I'll repaint the mounts with charcoal gray, and have my co-worker make leather covers for the visors.

fc_interior_sun_visors_naked.jpg

Thoughts about using the "JEEP" font on the grill as a cutout in my leather sun visors? The leather color would be Saddle Brown (matching seats/arm rests) with a charcoal gray leather "JEEP" cutout/insert. I like the idea.

Another 47RH 4WD transmission just happened to be available very close to Bell's Brewing, where we were heading yesterday anyway to meet some good friends for lunch & beverages. Why *wouldn't* I haul it home with me?!? It only has 145K miles, but does need a rebuild (clutches)...it was very affordable, though.

Twinsies.
fc_drivetrain_47rh_4wd.jpg

Last edited:

1x1_Speed_Craig

Bells Kalamazoo Stout... one of my favorites :beer:

I'm an Oberon guy, but tried a good Roundhouse IRA while I was there, too. Tasty!

The remnants of my (rough) former "Dan's Snowplowing" FC170 are almost gone, but the parts shall live on. I got both cab corners cut off tonight, and shelved for future patch panels for my lowers, shall I choose to replace them (I probably will). I don't need *nearly* this much sheet metal, but saved plenty just in case.

fc_cab_replacement_cab_corners.jpg

WARNING: Graphic images. My 2008 Super Duty frame is now NAKED...devoid of all superfluous body mount brackets. Yes, I've been productive this morning. I primered all these spots after taking the pics, BTW.
#nakedframe #thegrinderismybitch

fc_chassis_frame_mounts_removed_2.jpg

fc_chassis_frame_mounts_removed_3.jpg

fc_chassis_frame_mounts_removed_4.jpg

fc_chassis_frame_mounts_removed_5.jpg

Last edited:

1x1_Speed_Craig

lol... quotable.

Looking good too BTW.

Thanks! :)

I haven't made much progress this week, as I've been having too much fun being on vacation with my oldest daughter, Mira (almost 15 yrs. old). Mountain biking, gun range, animal park, etc. We've had a great time together.

(Single-speeding my Surly fat bike.)
10009872_10206960063709981_7843952925169745665_n.jpg

(Mira's results firing a 9mm Glock 43 for the first time. The kid is a darned fine shot!)
10532379_10206953073975242_6632626850009856404_n.jpg

I do have a couple small updates. This electronic Service Manual (found free on one of the Cummins forums) will come in incredibly handy while rebuilding the '95 Cummins/47RH-powered truck. Service procedures, torque specs, troubleshooting, blah, blah, blah.
fc_drivetrain_cummins_service_manual.jpg

I also picked up a few new small parts from the dealer (I LOVE my significant dealer discount, even though parts are still spendy)...
  1. New torque converter bolts
  2. Engine oil dipstick (not shown); original one is cracked at the "T-handle".
  3. Electric 4WD indicator switch (P/N 0513 4375 AA, right) for the '01 NP241 DHD transfer case, which replaces the original vacuum switch (left).

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Not too surprisred about your daughters shooting skills. I know a few women that can out shoot their husbands on the range and a friends mother was the PA champion for clays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1