New member with a big delima any input would be great.

jhdavis444

Hi all. First off I have been browsing this site for a couple weeks now and just wanted to tell everyone how great it is. I cant believe it took me this long to find it. Anyways I am trying to decide on whether or not i should get a new vehicle. I currently have a 2002 chevy 2500hd 4x4 Duramax/ 6sp manual. It has 137k on it and runs perfect. My options are to do some mods to my current truck or sell it and get something else to play with. The reason it came up is because my fiance hates to drive my truck when we switch cars because its a manual and I have the opp to sell it for more than double what I owe. If I sell it I am looking for either a xj or a disco. Here is a little about myself and what I use the truck for currently. Im 26 and my fiance and i love the outdoors. The truck is my DD but we also camp, hike, kayak, canoe, spelunking, boat, and fish. We also do some mild exploration/travel mostly exploring the mid west looking for scenic new places to camp. I need my vehicle to be able to carry my canoe or 2 kayaks, pull a boat/trailer, load with gear and carry a dog or 2...we have 4(3 small and one large). Right now when we camp we either put up a tent or throw a futon mattress in the bed. Either way i would like to get a RTT or build storage compartments with a sleep platform. Any input would be great. Im having a horrible time making a decision any opinions would really help. Here is the truck (hope i do this right)

Truck.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Teach her to like driving stick. A fun sports car usually solves this problem....especially rear wheel drive ones.

Idea two: sell whatever she drives and buy her something with a manual, see idea one above.

jhdavis444

I have thought about it but if I sell it Im just going to try something different. Plus i would most likely end up paying more for the new truck than im selling mine for. I would rather put money into upgrades than a new stock vehicle.

jhdavis444

She can actually drive it very well. I taught her to drive a manual in my old mazda protege5. The problem is she works in Indianapolis and doesnt feel comfortable driving the truck in traffic on small streets. I sometimes need to drive her civic out of town. Obviously if i keep the truck it wont solve much in that aspect but some mods would def make it more fun for me.

Rot Box

Explorer
Wow a D-max with a manual :drool: My friend and I were talking about how fun it would be to own one as they are quite rare around here. Nice truck and welcome to the forum.

I (meaning I'm giving my opinion) would NOT sell the truck--are you crazy?! lol :coffeedrink:. It is very nice with decent miles. It sounds like it does everything you need it to as far as capability with plenty of room for everyone. I don't like automatics and I was a little worried when I bought my Ford. My truck can be hard to drive with the clutch conversion I used if you are not familiar with it and I knew my wife would struggle. That said she is just fine driving it on the highway and occasionally off road. When the trail gets narrow and difficult I prefer to drive anyway--all in all it worked out great.

Search around and check out some of the other full size trucks here for some ideas for modifications. Get her to fall in love with a Four Wheel Camper (or similar) and you are set! You'll never question selling the D-max again :bike_rider:

Andrew

OTR

Adventurer
I wouldn't sell it personally. It may be cheaper to use your truck in reality if you use her civic to save on the cost of fuel. The cost of replacing the truck and then may be not being happy with what you replace it with could cost a lot more than burning a little extra fuel. Out of curiosity what kind of MPG do you get?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is a pretty desirable truck by many. Rare ZF S6-650 manual behind a Duramax, with a manual shift transfercase plus it is a 2001-2002 which have the more attractive front end by the Chevy fans.

I agree with Rot Box, get a nice pop up camper for it and do some suspension mods to make it more off-road capable and keep what you got. There aren’t many places you can go in the mid-west (or almost anywhere for that matter) where you would really need the capabilities of a Jeep or Land Rover that a full-size truck can't go.

I also agree with your wife though, this 6-speed manual is a very cumbersome transmission to row around, especially in traffic. I have your same exact truck with the same transmission but with an 8.1L gas. Bought it new right after 9-11-01 and it only has 52,000 mile on it at the moment. No plans to ever sell it.

1188101743_f930ef6605_o.jpg

1189011828_51935ddfc3_o.jpg

Welcome to the forum :wavey:

jhdavis444

That is exactly like mine. I was thinking about a small 2" or so lift but nothing too extreem. The best milage i have gotten was 21mpg. I pulled a car back from NC a couple of months ago and drove 5th gear most of the time through the mountains and got 17.5mpg. That impressed me. Then again i get accused of driving like a grandma. Haha

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is great mileage! The 8.1L will only get close that MPG if it is dropped out of the back of a B52 bomber at 30,000 ft, and even that would be with the engine off!

Two modest lift kits for the GMT800 HD trucks worth looking at are the Rancho 88148 and Skyjacker C9381K. The nice thing about these 3-4” lifts is the fact they are bracket type lifts instead of knuckle lifts and do not increase the front axle track width, plus you can use the factory wheels. Many of the lift kits for GM IFS look dumb as they make the front wheel stick out too far and aftermarket wheels are required. The 2” and 3” body lifts do not look good on the GM trucks that already show too much frame so I would pass on one of those. Cognito Motorsports sells nice heavy duty tie rod ends to correct the typical GM IFS tie rod end issues. These GM trucks have some potential but will never be a Power Wagon in the off-road department.

I have no plans to lift my ’01 HD, but I also have an ’05 HD retired fleet truck that might get one of these lifts soon.

TomH

Adventurer
The worst thing you could possibly do is

not to listen when she says she does not like driving the stick shift. I have been very happily married for the greater part of almost 30 years, and I can tell you this. A man who doesn't listen when his woman tells him she doesn't like something is not using wisdom. I went down this very road myself. I taught my wife how to drive a stick shift. She said it made her shoulder hurt. I didn't listen. She drove up and down the hills of San Francisco every day. She now has arthritis in that shoulder. I didn't listen when she said she wanted to trade for an automatic. I imagine she already had some kind of injury there, but it might have gotten better. As it happened, the repetitive motions of shifting made it worse. She has forgiven me, but the discomfort she undergoes on a regular basis is a constant reminder to me that a man should listen to what a woman says about what she is comfortable with. I'll guarantee you the saying is true, "Happy Wife = Happy Life." I learned something from that: "Listen to what she says. Give HER what SHE wants, and your reward will be great."

As to what would work for the situation you describe, here is something we considered: an automatic F350 4x4 with an Alaskan Camper:

http://www.alaskancamper.org/desktop.html

You might consider whether you want to start with a normal long bed, a utility bed, or a flatbed. You can see examples of each in the links. One flatbed has a wider than average camper. Some of the slide ins are on utility trucks with exterior lock boxes. Those could meet the storage needs you describe. The truck in this next pic looks to be a regular pickup to which cuts have been made into the sidewalls of the bed and locking storage compartments inserted into the cavities.

http://www.alaskancamper.org/Desktop-Pages/Image11.html

There may be times when you'd want to tow a travel trailer behind this rig. Like this:

http://www.alaskancamper.org/Desktop-Pages/Image44.html

Used TTs can be found for cheap and that gives a lot of extra space when you plan on staying on good roads. You can leave the TT in camp and take the truck on shorter outings. If you go with a standard pickup bed, you also could take the Alaskan off and put on a regular shell in order to haul cargo, like bikes. When you want to go into the back country, you could take just the Alaskan and take advantage of the 4x4. The third pic on this next page proves the lift on the Alaskan has the power to elevate the roof along with cargo weight on top.

http://www.alaskancamper.com/canoe.html

A standard pickup bed, a utility bed, or a flatbed each has its own advantages. A standard bed would allow you to swap the Alaskan for a regular shell when you want to carry covered cargo. You don't have the compartments like a utility bed, but you can insert smaller compartments into the bed walls. A utility bed offers the most compartmentalized storage (the boxes extent out wider than the truck cab), but swapping the Alaskan out with a shell could be a challenge, though here's an example: http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3786&aid=30852&lid=8707504 (It would likely require a costly custom build. EDIT: funny thing-that rusty old bed off the truck is the only pic I could find on Google, yet I saw a nig clean brand new one on a utility truck less than an hour after my original posting here!!) A flatbed would allow a wider Alaskan to be put on top at the expense of the utility boxes. Like the one vehicle in the pics, though, you could have 3 utility boxes and a propane tank (or 4 utility boxes) mounted on the underside of the bed, fore and aft of the wheels. If you used a regular width Alaskan an a flatbed, you could put more utility boxes above the edge of the bad on both sides as well; some of the pics on the Alaskan sites show that configuration. You couldn't swap the wider Alaskan for a shell on a flatbed though.

If you have limited funds, think about which of these setups would allow you to start with the basics, then add one component at a time as the money becomes available. The easiest of these would be to start with a traditional bed, a shell, and a sleeping platform with lift up panels on a frame that allows you to access storage below the platform. You could then add cut in sidewall storage, then the Alaskan and/or TT in whatever order best meets your needs.

If you have enough money and prefer to start off with one of the other beds and the Alaskan, you might do that, foregoing a shell.

Though I am not fond of them, there also is the possibility of a traditional slide in truck camper or a pop up with tent siding as opposed to the Alaskan's hard siding.

My wife says whe would feel too claustrophobic in the Alaskan. She likes the Provan Tiger which has walk through and the cabin is always at full height, so we are saving for a down payment on that. I've learned-I listen now. Your fiancee might like the Alaskan. But whatever you do, get her the automatic, and make sure the other things are things she likes too. When Mama ain't happy, they ain't nobody happy.

Last edited:

jhdavis444

The alaskan camper is awesome. I have also thought about a truck bed camper but havent pulled the trigger because im not sure if im keeping the truck. I was thinking smaller suv if i sell the truck. She likes the 2003-2004 Disco II. Im just not sure about their reilability. I love the way they look and the capabilities but also like the jeep xj. I would really like to keep the truck but i also need her to be comfortable driving my vehicle when she has to.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Chuck the fiance,beefup the suspension a bit and mount a Northstar TC 650. Seriously though,you've got a rare vehicle in good repair. A nice popup on the back would please your fiance to no end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online