OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

CowboyKyle

The red plug at the front of the rig is NOT an anderson, but a chinese knock off that doesn't fit an anderson. The pins will fit in an anderson plug if you can get them out. I was able to. The plug is electrically connected to a 50amp circuit breaker under the bed (see pic). And yes, it is connected to the 12VDC battery bus. I use the plug to connect an additional remote solar panel. View attachment 816195
Do you go solar panel to battery? Or do you have a solar controller somewhere in the mix?

CowboyKyle

Electrical noob here…

Is the plug on the front of the camper by the hitch an Anderson plug or some(?) other type of plug ?
Also, is this plug wired directly to the batteries ?
Some are Andersons, some are knock offs. All (seem to) go to the battery through a 50a breaker. Post a picture of yours.

bjammin101

I live close to Houston Texas and have put a deposit down on a new 2022 updated Dweller 13 I’m picking up Friday. I’m having some second thoughts due to some posts I’ve seen about the air conditioner issues. I don’t mind improvising or buying something additional to be comfortable. What can I do? I saw someone used a second ac unit and vented it out the mesh, what type of ac? Portable ac unit? Any info will be appreciated.
I am in Houston also, welcome to the group. I am a little behind on reading and a little late but I hooked up an LG A/C from Home Depot and vented it out the mesh. It was rated for about 400 SF and helped but not a great permanent solution. Bottom line for camping in Texas during the heat is stay in the shade if possible.

CowboyKyle

I am in Houston also, welcome to the group. I am a little behind on reading and a little late but I hooked up an LG A/C from Home Depot and vented it out the mesh. It was rated for about 400 SF and helped but not a great permanent solution. Bottom line for camping in Texas during the heat is stay in the shade if possible.
I did the same thing last summer (I'm near san Antonio). This spring, I'm going with a roof top unit.

Xid_az

Battery Connector 30A Quick Connect Battery Modular Power Connectors Quick Disconnect (10)​

You can find them on Amazon and Make them up yourself. Super easy, just watch some youtube videos.
I went to our local battery store, and they had all the connections, and showed me how to make them up. I use them for my solar.
I went back and forth looking for the right cable or connectors, but I think I'll end up cutting the Anderson look-a-like connector off and just crimping on MC4 cables that will plug into the Renogy Solar Suitcase I picked up.

Anyone know if keeping MC4 connectors on the tongue is a bad idea?

CowboyKyle

I went back and forth looking for the right cable or connectors, but I think I'll end up cutting the Anderson look-a-like connector off and just crimping on MC4 cables that will plug into the Renogy Solar Suitcase I picked up.

Anyone know if keeping MC4 connectors on the tongue is a bad idea?
How often do you plan to go off-road? Mud, dust and dirt probably don't play well with MC4 tolerances. Additionally, I'd argue that MC4s do not like frequent disconnects. Lastly, I'd suggest that this is the wrong application for MC4s and advise to stick with an Anderson, and buy an MC4 to Anderson adapter for the Renogy suitcase.

Xid_az

How often do you plan to go off-road? Mud, dust and dirt probably don't play well with MC4 tolerances. Additionally, I'd argue that MC4s do not like frequent disconnects. Lastly, I'd suggest that this is the wrong application for MC4s and advise to stick with an Anderson, and buy an MC4 to Anderson adapter for the Renogy suitcase.
That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know how the MC4's were rated and mud, sand, dust will be common, so I'll keep looking.

For those that have done the external solar hook up to these front connectors, are these generic "Battery Connector 30A Quick Connect Battery Modular Power Connectors Quick Disconnect" connectors the ones to get? Amazon item B07H81ZSNS

I've been confused as I've seen references to PowerPole 30 or 45's (PP30 PP45). Are these different designators referring to (other than the AMP rating) different size internal connectors (what is crimped to the wire), the housing size or both?
I ordered an "Anderson Powerpole to MC4 cable" from Amazon, only to find that the PP connectors were way too small for what on the tongue.

Is there a pre-made cable MC4 to (whatever is on the tongue) connector that I can just purchase or is my only option to pick up a set of connectors, a compatible crimper and make it myself?

That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know how the MC4's were rated and mud, sand, dust will be common, so I'll keep looking.

For those that have done the external solar hook up to these front connectors, are these generic "Battery Connector 30A Quick Connect Battery Modular Power Connectors Quick Disconnect" connectors the ones to get? Amazon item B07H81ZSNS

I've been confused as I've seen references to PowerPole 30 or 45's (PP30 PP45). Are these different designators referring to (other than the AMP rating) different size internal connectors (what is crimped to the wire), the housing size or both?
I ordered an "Anderson Powerpole to MC4 cable" from Amazon, only to find that the PP connectors were way too small for what on the tongue.

Is there a pre-made cable MC4 to (whatever is on the tongue) connector that I can just purchase or is my only option to pick up a set of connectors, a compatible crimper and make it myself?
Something like this? It says it's compatible with PP 15/30/45.

then add one of these?

Xid_az

Something like this? It says it's compatible with PP 15/30/45.

then add one of these?
So is the idea to get the cable like you linked, then pull off the plastic housing, leaving the metal connector intact on the wire, and slide on this new housing?

CowboyKyle

Shoot me a DM and I'll walk you through it. It's actually super easy.

henderson.341

Electrical noob here…

Is the plug on the front of the camper by the hitch an Anderson plug or some(?) other type of plug ?
Also, is this plug wired directly to the batteries ?

I wired this directly to a dc to dc charger and ran a separate connection out my kitchen slide for portable solar. Thought was I would want the Anderson at the hitch to hook to truck to charge while driving and when I’m camping I will have my kitchen open and can hook my portable solar up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh