Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Well, here she is with the 3in lift and 31x10.5 MT's installed. :D. I've got a locked rear end with 4.10's waiting to go in and I've just ordered 4.10s and a locker for the front. I think she's the perfect combo between Streetability and Off-road with this setup for Overlanding. Hopefully with the gears I can still retain some decent fuel mileage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
Also, a few goodies arrived to begin my On-board Camp Shower build! :D

image.jpg

Instead of the 10 plate Heat Exchanger, I ended up going with the 20 plate to assure that I would get enough heat from the engine coolant. I opted for 1/2in NPT fittings, because I plan on using 1/2in line throughout the entire system.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also arrived is my 10.5gal Expedition Ready Footwell Water Tank. It fits the XJ floorboard PERFECTLY with room to spare for hose plumbing! :D The outlets in each side of the tank are 1/2in barbed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also got my Shur-Flo Water Pump. 3GPM, will prime 6ft vertically, is 12VDC, and has a 55psi cutoff. It's gotten great reviews!

image.jpg

I've also got the Thermostatic Mixing Valve on order to be able to regulate temperature.

As soon as I've got all of my parts, I'll do a write-up on the On-board Camp Shower Build. :D

Also, I ordered new front fender liners, since my original ones literally crumbled in my hands when I installed my Snorkel.

image.jpg

Last edited:

hpierce301

Adventurer
i got a quick question about snorkels. Do axles other things have breathing tubes? or is everything below the existing air intake sealed? I thought there were some items that should not be submerged that are already lower than the air intake. And a snorkel only helps the intake, but not necessarily those other items.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
i got a quick question about snorkels. Do axles other things have breathing tubes? or is everything below the existing air intake sealed? I thought there were some items that should not be submerged that are already lower than the air intake. And a snorkel only helps the intake, but not necessarily those other items.

Yes the axles, tranny, tc, etc all have breather tubes that need to be extended for water crossings. Snorkels, however, help in more than just water situations.

Overland History

Wanderluster

Yes, the f/r axles, Transfer-Case, and Transmission all have breather tubes. I'm planning on running every single one of those tubes into my airbox sealed up tight.

Not only does a Snorkel allow you the ability to ford deeper water, but it also keeps your intake point up high on dusty roads which can keep your air element cleaner, longer.

Although I have no real results, it *might* also help gas mileage being that it's now sucking cold air only, and possibly a small Horsepower gain, although doubtful.

Mekcanix

Camper
I have a quick question. Why would you put the lines into your air box? The air box is going to be at negative air, and wont that increase the chances of drawing in water and debris into the drive train and contaminating oil?

professorkx

Observer
This is a great build thread, enough detail to understand your process. Love the hot water heater. Might need to steel that idea for mine.

Question on the snorkel. Why is the port at the top pointed towards the front and not the rear? Seems that pointing it towards the rear would reduce splash intake risk as well as reduce the amount of dust that could be sucked in.

transalper

Explorer
Hats off to you and your great work! You have potentially saved me a ton of time and $$$ with your shower kit. I can't wait to see the install.

And I love wheeling relatively stock rigs with the big boys too. Good times!

Overland History

Wanderluster
I have a quick question. Why would you put the lines into your air box? The air box is going to be at negative air, and wont that increase the chances of drawing in water and debris into the drive train and contaminating oil?

I'm not sure what you mean by negative air, are you talking about pressure or vacuum?

In regards to introducing the lines to the airbox, it will keep water and debris from being able to enter the lines at all, considering the only opening will be at the top of the Snorkel. In regards to contamination, I would introduce the lines into the airbox post-filter element, which would be the top portion of the airbox.

Overland History

Wanderluster
This is a great build thread, enough detail to understand your process. Love the hot water heater. Might need to steel that idea for mine.

Question on the snorkel. Why is the port at the top pointed towards the front and not the rear? Seems that pointing it towards the rear would reduce splash intake risk as well as reduce the amount of dust that could be sucked in.

Thank you!

I've got the Snorkel Head pointed forward to act similar to a Ram-Air system to force cool air into the intake, which could potentially help fuel mileage and maybe HP gain. Plus, it looks better that way! :D

I've driven through very heavy rain with it facing forward, and once stopped, I not only checked my airbox for water, but also the air filter, both of which were dry as a bone.

If I'm on a super dusty road behind another vehicle, I would likely turn the head around to try to avoid the dust clogging up the filter.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Hats off to you and your great work! You have potentially saved me a ton of time and $$$ with your shower kit. I can't wait to see the install.

And I love wheeling relatively stock rigs with the big boys too. Good times!

Thanks! I'll be sure to document how it all works together, as well as any problems that I run into!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1