Pictures of Expedition Motorcycles

ben2go

Adventurer
Thanks for the link. I like the simplicity, power to weight & versatility!
I wish they would still make 'em like that. Viva DR350...

You're welcome.I understand what you're saying.It's hard to beat a single cylinder air cooled bike for simplicity. :bike_rider:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I had a BMW GS and while I enjoyed it I also was restricted to where I could go off road so I sold it and bought the Suzuki.

I went the other way on this trade-off.

I spent many years and many thousands of miles off-road on DR350 / DRZ400 bikes. I had the dual sport and dirt models of both bikes.

I ended up buying the BMW 1150 GSA so I could show my wife some of the places I was seeing on dirt bikes that she would otherwise never have the opportunity view and experience.

The DRs have bulletproof motors that pull all day long and just never give up.

The DRs are relatively heavy compared to some similar bikes, but are usually less costly than those alternatives.

The DRs respond very well to:
- Aftermarket shock (get one built to your specific, fully-loaded for overlanding weight)
- Fork suspension kits (same rules apply for weight and your desired style of riding)
- Proper tire selection for your intended riding area
- Gel seat
- Light loads

I highly recommend an electric start model. It will make you a better rider. No, it won't really change you into a rocket-ship over the boulder fields, but it will make you much more confident and save you a ton of energy, especially when you kill the bike on a goat trail with a sheer cliff off your left foot. Make sure to put a kick-start kit on it for when you leave the lights on and run down the battery.

In my experience, if you change the oil & filter regularly (at or before recommended intervals), use high quality aftermarket components and don't abuse it (beyond normal dirt bike abuse), you will have a very long and mutually fortuitous relationship with your DRs.

Of all the DRs I owned, this was probably my favorite. I rode this bike down the length of Baja, border to Cabo, three times. Those rides were offroad, and I was riding with Malcolm Smith, so you can imagine the route.

2002-04-DSC03536-edit-800.jpg

Pacific coast of Baja California, Mexico

Not every single kilometer of it was Baja 1000 course, endless whoops, rocky single track and single track through deep, soft sand twisting around jumping cactus -- but it sure felt like it.

2002-04-DSC03530-800.jpg

Baja single track

From the purely riding standpoint, the DR is not the perfect bike for this type of route, something lighter probably would be.

However, from the overlanding perspective, it is nearly the perfect bike. The DRs were the only bikes to make it on this ride end to end, for sure, with dead-certain reliability.

The other bikes I rode with over the five years I did this ride really struggled to survive if they were Blue or Orange. The red bikes did OK, but the 650 Hondas are a handful in these conditions unless you're a really big guy and also a good rider.

In 2004 I had the chance to do a direct comparison between the DRZ400 and the GS1150A. We were between the Middle East and Japan, so I accompanied two friends on the Continental Divide Ride (CDR).

While the big GS did feel a lot lighter than it did two-up, fully loaded for unsupported travel in the 3rd world, it was not the optimum bike for the CDR.

It's the age-old thing: just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Can the GS keep up with a couple of dirt bikes riding off-road from Canada to Mexico on the CDR?

2004-07-17-IMG_1196-800.jpg

Along the Continental Divide (we did not do the spray painting)

Well, technically, yes.

Along the way, however, Bob, one of my riding buddies, swears I had the GS laid out horizontal in mid-air over a boulder field. That was just one of many instances of wrestling the GS down that trail.

The DRs, meanwhile, were the perfect bike bike to ride between the start and stop.

2004-07-cdr-begin-finish-800.jpg

Head and tail of the CDR

The GS was bearable on the CDR and super-comfy riding to and from the borders. My buddies suffered getting to and from the borders but had a super time on the CDR on their DRs.

The GS, however, can do the one thing that was possible, but tough on a DR.

Can you put your wife on the back and ride two-up, off-road through central Mexico on a DR?

2001-07-16-Dsc02078-edit-800.jpg

At the end of a day of riding, central Mexico (this was a friend's bike, ours had the dual sport rear sub-frame and passenger pegs)

Well, technically, yes. But, it's not a viable thing for world exploration, at least for us.

So, we switched over to the GS, and that worked out very well for my goal of taking my wife places she wouldn't otherwise see.

2004-06-03-S500-0886-800.jpg

On the Baghdad road

Not that she was always excited about the destinations or routes... :)

Last edited:
Great looking 1150GS, I occasionally miss my GS mostly at the end of a ride when I want to ride the interstate home but it was just way to big for the trails I'm currently exploring. If you ever get up Prescott way give me a holler and we can do some trail riding, I have a couple friends who still own GS's.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Dr350/drz

I really think it's too bad they don't make an updated DR350. People who have owned them wax poetically about their charms. Although I've never ridden one, based upon the reports and stats, I can see why.

I had a DR-Z 400S. It's a good bike and I think a great bike for the right niche. But I think that niche is pretty narrow and an updated DR350 (or a revised DRZ) would be better and appeal to a larger audience.

The two bikes have almost identical dry weights.
The DR-Z makes about 5 more HP (a good thing).
The DR350 has 6 speeds (an even better thing IMHO)
The DR350 has a 35" set height, versus the DR-Z's 37". This turns off A LOT of people.
I won't get into the air cooled vs water cooled as both are very reliable bikes.
DR-Z has a more modern suspension, but I think travel is actually similar.

I guess the frustration for me with my DR-Z was that they seemed to make it more dirt worthy (and likely succeeded to some degree), but they actually made it somewhat worse on the street. Frustrating, because I don't think they really needed to. I was forever cursing my DR-Z's street manners at speed and longed for a 6th gear. I never took full advantage of the suspension (and I think most riders wouldn't).

Now the fact is, when I bought my DR-Z I had been shopping for a DR650. And I should have bought a DR650 for the riding I do instead of trying to make the DR-Z into one. But I thought I could make it a lighter alternative to the DR650. And there's the rub, because I think there are more riders like me that would like a lighter DR650 alternative and will never use the DR-Z's advantages.

Now if I lived 30 minutes from wide open spaces, I could see myself getting a DR-Z again (or WR). But for most of the world who buy DS bikes to occasionally get off road but mostly commute and ride street, the DR350 is better suited.

I don't mean to bash the DR-Z. But even today, if I wanted a bike for a week long DS trip that included stretches of highway and mild single-track - I think I'd take a DR350 over the DR-Z (if I didn't already have my X-Ch). If I wanted to spend the day on more aggressive singletrack that was a half hour road ride away - I'd take the DR-Z again.

Unfortunately, the DR200 (also a good bike) really isn't a substitute for the DR350 either.

Marc
I could not agree more with what you wrote, I think Suzuki could make a 6 speed DRZ500 with a larger tank and have a real dual sport. I also felt BMW was heading in a good direction with the Xchallenge and have no idea why they stopped, maybe it had something to do with the Husqvarna purchase.
I wish the DR350 had a bit more punch for highway travel but I do not want the added weight of a 650 but I love that 6th gear.
Mark

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
It's really a shame the DS market is so small in the US. It seems to be even further divided as some folks want a pseudo-dirt bike, some just a commuter, and some want more of an adventure/travel bike. But it would be so simple to broaden the DR-Z's scope by adding a 6th gear or even just a wider ratio 5 speed with a few more HP. The 3x3 and re-jet alone makes a world of difference on that bike.

I'm not sure why BMW abandoned the XChallenge so quickly, even with the dismal sales. I guess they felt it wasn't worth it if they couldn't sell them for $8000. I will say this: I love my mine. It essentially does everything a DR-Z or DR650 will do, and typically better. I paid $5995 for it brand new with a 3 year warranty. I was set on a DR650, but don't regret spending the few hundred more for the XChallenge. Same thing for Husky TE-610/630. Great bikes at $6000. At $8000? Not so much.

But I bet Suzuki could build a 6 speed, EFI, DRZ-450 for a grand less and it would be rock-solid reliable.

sandalscout

Adventurer
But I bet Suzuki could build a 6 speed, EFI, DRZ-450 for a grand less and it would be rock-solid reliable.

I bet any of the four big Japanese manufacturers could, and maybe one day they will. I think that Yamaha is aware of the depend for something in the 450-600 range for this, If they would do for the WR450 what they did for the WR250, I think that they would sell even more of that hot little bike.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
It's really a shame the DS market is so small in the US. It seems to be even further divided as some folks want a pseudo-dirt bike, some just a commuter, and some want more of an adventure/travel bike.

We had lunch with the top two guys at BMW Motorad U.S. last year. At that time, the GS product line accounted for about 6 out of every 10 units sold in the North American market.

I bet any of the four big Japanese manufacturers could, and maybe one day they will.

During the last downturn, the U.S. motorsports market shrank by 50% (more in some categories). Some of the brands barely survived. Suzuki brought in zero bikes for a full model year.

At about the same time, the kid-size bikes and quads were outlawed due to lead, leading to additional massive financial losses in the immediate term, and worse, the choking off of the new customer pipeline (start them young, keep them for decades).

There is a fundamental break-even point for number of units sold where it makes sense to bring in a bike to the highly regulated North American market. That break-even point varies by manufacturer due to their different cost structures. One cost that is shared by all factories is the warehousing and distribution costs for parts, which they must keep on hand for many years for discontinued and past models due to U.S. law.

Bottom line: It's a lot harder for a U.S. market moto product marketing manager or executive to get a bike developed and brought in and marketed and promoted and sold and supported and serviced and litigated than you may think. It's especially a lot harder when this market has shrunk drastically and, due to demographics, is almost certain to never recover to past sales levels. The factories' product planning today is driven by markets that are growing, not graying.

The good news: dual sport bikes cross multiple slices of the remaining, shrinking demographic pie and adventure bikes are one of the few healthy segments.

But, enough of all of that. We've gone and hijacked a great thread. Back to photos of expedition bikes... :)

dhackney

Expedition Leader
2002 April
San Ignacio, Baja California Sur.
27°17'14.02" N 112°54'02.49" W

2002-04-DSC03690-crop-800.jpg

2002-04-DSC03691-crop-800.jpg

Joe Barker, 1973 ISDT gold medalist at age 17, ponders whether this rig could form the basis for a new ISDT Senior Class. :)

Sr. Hackney, were your DRZ's of the S or E variety? I'm pondering the purchase of an E and making it street legal. A friend had one and it was a good bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1