Prime-time Television Episode Features Overland Journal

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
To the point on the show in general. I think everyone needs to keep in mind that this as a "made for TV" show. Those of us that do this a bit, know the perils and probably didn't understand as well the emphasis placed on the potential for roll-over, destruction, or death. However, the general audience needs to be made aware and be captivated by the program.

I thought it was very well done.

Many say the same complaint about Man vs. Wild, but I love the show (as does my 6 year old- Bear is one of his super heros!), but let's face it, ... even with a support team, there are things that they do that, ... "I don't care how much back up you have", I ain't doin!

I mean, I don't care how hungry I am ... I am not eating a bat or rhino beetle!

Additionally, I wouldn't have lit across MOAB with only 15 extra gallons of petrol! Brave on you!

D

Scott Brady

Founder
Additionally, I wouldn't have lit across MOAB with only 15 extra gallons of petrol! Brave on you!
D

Just as a point of clarification, we had 15 gallons extra for each truck. It was only the Brute that took extra fuel (because it was breaking trail).

As an interesting note, the LR got the best fuel economy of the group, by several MPG.

barlowrs

Explorer
Just as a point of clarification, we had 15 gallons extra for each truck. It was only the Brute that took extra fuel (because it was breaking trail).

As an interesting note, the LR got the best fuel economy of the group, by several MPG.

I'd imagine that hemi was buring through gas too, esp when you opened her up on the second day haha :smiley_drive:

voyageur

Adventurer
Cables? Chains?

Repeating my question; for those that were there. How come no traction enhancers on the tires. I lived and drove in similar conditions, for eleven winters of Rocky Mountain Wonderland... We always chained up front axle in the conditions you encountered...

Occasionally, rarely, both axles...

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I caught the episode first thing this morning. I thought it was a great! You could see a little bit of Hollywood drama the production crew threw in but still the best thing I have seen on TV that has really interested me in a long time.

The vehicles were great! All of them. Vehicles are just tools but if the person using that tool doesn’t know what they are doing even the best vehicle can be a failure off road. It seems everybody driving these rigs knew exactly what they were doing….including using the TOW HOOKS! LOL

Nice work! :victory:

Scott Brady

Founder
Repeating my question; for those that were there. How come no traction enhancers on the tires. I lived and drove in similar conditions, for eleven winters of Rocky Mountain Wonderland... We always chained up front axle in the conditions you encountered...

Occasionally, rarely, both axles...

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

The AEV boys have snow circulating through their veins ;) They brought no tire chains, as it was part of the evaluation. We ran 1 psi in the Brute tires, and 7-10 in the other vehicles.

We did have chains for the Disco, but it never demanded them. I am careful to install chains if rocks are just below the surface, both to keep from scaring the rocks and to protect the chains.

voyageur

Adventurer
Thanks Scott...

Scott (et al),

First of all let me say (embarrassed tone of voice) I never thought of potential rock damage. It would be just like driving across the delicate Tundra. Tire tracks last for hundreds of years...

I was just curious because of my past experiences. I am going to go watch the show again and I may need to watch it again later...

A couple of my female friends asked if you were married and if you were going to have your own TV series... "SCOTT FREE". Theme song to the tune of Born Free...

:bowdown:

Scott Brady

Founder
A couple of my female friends asked if you were married and if you were going to have your own TV series... "SCOTT FREE". Theme song to the tune of Born Free...

LOL

Yes. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for nearly 17 years. She is my much better half.

voyageur

Adventurer
I'll pass it on...

Howdy Jeremy. I will have to get the "Girls" back together and do a freeze frame...

It sure looked as if you all had a great time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1