Project M competitors?

Bergger

Explorer
Went to pnw expo and got hands on all these campers. Tune in my opinion is at the bottom of the list after seeing them and comparing them to others. Theyre just bolted together and have lots of issues people post about in their facebook group. I love how so many new camper companies are bolted together extrusion and you all are excited to line up for that? If cars, trucks, trailers, buses, motorcycles, bikes could be made out of slapping extrusion together dont you think theyd be building them that way? They know that it will rattle apart, so they dont as theyd have to recall. Four wheel project m is the way to go if you want wider. They have the history behind the product. People have 40 year old Four Wheels still on the road. Topo is also very nice and if I hadn’t discovered Ovrlnd, Id go with them. Oru is interesting but i feel their hard sided top is nearly useless as it has canvas tons of places. Quality also wasnt that solid. Ovrlnd is like a Four Wheel but lighter and tighter for off roading and seeing the craftsmanship of Ovrlnd is crazy. Anyway my two cents having seen them all in person recently.
I agree with this. I've been in a Tune and several others built like this. Just saw a video posted on youtube of a Tune that had to be taken back to the factory due to multiple leaks and not fitting on the bed rails properly. Have had our ATO Summit for two years now and we just completed a 2900 mile trip in it. l love it even more after this past trip.

Dave in AZ

I agree with this. I've been in a Tune and several others built like this. Just saw a video posted on youtube of a Tune that had to be taken back to the factory due to multiple leaks and not fitting on the bed rails properly. Have had our ATO Summit for two years now and we just completed a 2900 mile trip in it. l love it even more after this past trip.
Please post a link to the tune vudeo you mention above, I have not seen it nor heard this in the owners group. Thx

Pra4sno

Went to pnw expo and got hands on all these campers. Tune in my opinion is at the bottom of the list after seeing them and comparing them to others. Theyre just bolted together and have lots of issues people post about in their facebook group. I love how so many new camper companies are bolted together extrusion and you all are excited to line up for that? If cars, trucks, trailers, buses, motorcycles, bikes could be made out of slapping extrusion together dont you think theyd be building them that way? They know that it will rattle apart, so they dont as theyd have to recall. Four wheel project m is the way to go if you want wider. They have the history behind the product. People have 40 year old Four Wheels still on the road. Topo is also very nice and if I hadn’t discovered Ovrlnd, Id go with them. Oru is interesting but i feel their hard sided top is nearly useless as it has canvas tons of places. Quality also wasnt that solid. Ovrlnd is like a Four Wheel but lighter and tighter for off roading and seeing the craftsmanship of Ovrlnd is crazy. Anyway my two cents having seen them all in person recently.

I'm with you on this. I climbed all over the various campers when we were at expo west in bad weather last year. Several things stood out about the Tune that was interesting, such as the composite roof. But the rest of it was a letdown for our use case. I did not like the pop up wall fabric, or the way they did the walls as I couldn't see a good way to insulate them. The kick outs on the side are nice, but most trails we are on we are already pushing the limit with our tundra and it also would have complicated the way we wanted to build our unit out. We tow with our truck too, and I didn't want something sticking out the side and obscuring our mirrors (and didn't want to add tow mirrors).

Our options boiled down to a 4WC Hawk slide in somewhat built out, or OVRLND.

Also looked at many other options including 4WC's Project M, but ended up with an OVRLND because we felt like the build quality and care was more apparent than the Project M we looked at. It could very well have been just that unit that had corners cut. And as a disclaimer, for our use the OVRLND was the best fit - but all of these products are a good fit for someone.

MR E30

I also want to just chime in on this, to hopefully drive the point home a bit further.

Regarding the bolted together extrusion build methodology: If I walked that connection/frame/structure idea into any of my professional colleagues offices, and I wasn't joking, I would quite literally be laughed out of their office as it is as terrible as a frame building idea as one can find for this type of product.

I've been critical of Lone Peak since they first shared the way they were going to build their campers frames, as I just so happened to be present when they first started being discussed, but any camper, no matter how fancy or aggressively marketed, with the whole 'bolted aluminum moment frame' design methodology should be avoided in my professional opinion.

Bergger

Explorer

Most of the video is just a trip video. The end is when they are at the factory addressing the issues. Not much in the video with details on the leaking and fit issues. They say they will have a follow up video. However they say Tune is fixing it with caulk. Hmmm….really?? Sounds like a design flaw to me. But I’m interested in seeing the follow up video so I’ll reserve full judgement until then.

Dave in AZ

Most of the video is just a trip video. The end is when they are at the factory addressing the issues. Not much in the video with details on the leaking and fit issues. They say they will have a follow up video. However they say Tune is fixing it with caulk. Hmmm….really?? Sounds like a design flaw to me. But I’m interested in seeing the follow up video so I’ll reserve full judgement until then.
Thx, hadn't seen that one.

stevo_pct

Aren't some of the best (most rugged) truck campers and "off-road" trailers (I'm thinking of the OEV Backcountry and Boreas XT, for example) extrusion frames with composite panels?

My understanding, and I'm not an expert on this which is why I'm asking, is that something like the OEV Backcountry is considered to be WAY better designed/built than Four Wheel Campers.

MR E30

Aren't some of the best (most rugged) truck campers and "off-road" trailers (I'm thinking of the OEV Backcountry and Boreas XT, for example) extrusion frames with composite panels?

My understanding, and I'm not an expert on this which is why I'm asking, is that something like the OEV Backcountry is considered to be WAY better designed/built than Four Wheel Campers.

Massive difference between an aluminum extrusion with bolts in the corners to hold it together, and something like Dan Grec's build (he highlighted the entire build process on YT) i.e. aluminum framing with composite panels bonded to it.

Their structures are fundamentally different at the base level.

I don't have enough experience with a FWC to speak definitively about them, unfortunately.

dstock

Explorer
We've had a Project M on our Ram 1500 for 1 1/2 years and so far, we love it. Have had a couple warranty issues that were resolved quickly at our local dealer. I looked at the Ovrlnd camper as well, and our friends purchased one because they wanted the additional interior standing height.

We went with the M for a couple of reasons. I was not interested in finishing the interior myself with insulation etc. I also wanted camper jacks in case I needed to remove the M (which actually happened when I had to take my truck in for some trail damage repair) and that's a no go on the Overlnd camper cause apparently "they look weird". Lastly, there is only one Ovrlnd dealer, the factory, and that's over 7 hours from us, and the guys at my local FWC dealer are fantastic and only 40 mins away.

stevo_pct

Massive difference between an aluminum extrusion with bolts in the corners to hold it together, and something like Dan Grec's build (he highlighted the entire build process on YT) i.e. aluminum framing with composite panels bonded to it.

Their structures are fundamentally different at the base level.

I don't have enough experience with a FWC to speak definitively about them, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what Dan Grec's build is. I thought we were talking about the Tune M1 above re: design using extrusions. Isn't the Tune M1 bolted together at the corners, etc. and not bonded?

I'm just asking because I'm having trouble understanding how the design of the Tune M1 differs from something like the OEV Backcounty (in terms of design, obviously one is a shell and one is a slide in camper).

Dave in AZ

OEV Backcountry and Boreas XT, for example) extrusion frames with composite panels?

I'm not sure what Dan Grec's build is. I thought we were talking about the Tune M1 above re: design using extrusions. Isn't the Tune M1 bolted together at the corners, etc. and not bonded?
We WERE talking about bolted together extrusion frames. Then YOU mentioned extrusion frames with composite panels, which are NOT bolted together but are bonded panels to frames, which was pointed out to you as a completely different thing.

stevo_pct

OK, so the Tune M1 uses bolted together extrusion frames? While extrusion frames with composite panels which are bonded together are a more durable design? And something like the OEV Backcountry does not use a bolted together extrusion frame?

MR E30

OK, so the Tune M1 uses bolted together extrusion frames? While extrusion frames with composite panels which are bonded together are a more durable design? And something like the OEV Backcountry does not use a bolted together extrusion frame?

Yes

Yes, if done correctly, which is probably safe to assume for most mainstream companies.

Correct.

Think of the camper frame (not the doors/windows, or how it pops up, but the main 'square/rectangular' bit that gets bolted to the truck bed) as a little structure.

Simplify it in your mind by thinking about it in terms of pieces of wood, if you will. You know that if you simply take 4 pieces of wood (say pieces of 1x2 or 2x4), lay them down and arrange them in a square, and put one nail through each corner, that this little frame will be very easy to 'squish' or misalign by pushing on a corner.

Now take that same frame idea, 1 nail in each corner, and then screw down a piece of plywood to the frame, nailing/screwing it at 6" or 12" on center, around the perimeter.

All of a sudden these 4 pieces of wood can not be misaligned by the human hand. It has been stiffened. Congrats, you now know why your house (wood construction at least) does not blow over in the wind. The sheathing creates all of the lateral stability.

Now, step back into the realms of the campers we are discussing. The simple 4 pieces of wood, without the plywood, are these less sophisticated camper frame designs, with the bolted connections at the corners. Aluminum is more competent than wood, and there is a bit more going on with the camper, but suffice to say that this simple relationship works for our simplified discussion.

The 4 pieces of wood with the plywood are like the composite framed campers that have a more sophisticated design methodology. These are much more rigid, as we previously discussed, and are likely to last much much longer, and handle more abuse (think vibrations caused by washboard roads), than these simpler designs.

In my professional experience as a structural engineer here is my simplified list of pop-up camper construction categories, rated from worst to best in terms of strength and longevity:

- Simple bolted together aluminum extrusion camper moment frames: Lonepeak, Tune M1, Harker EDC (even worse design, as it has no rear top crossmember, such a terrible idea). These suffer from the issues listed above.

- Composite shelled campers: Scout Camper, 4WC's, OEV Backcountry, etc. These are tough, as I stated above, but lasting a long time is not guaranteed. Exposure to sunlight can degrade the composite/frame interaction (talking a long time here, not a year or two). They are also more likely to suffer a brittle failure of their components, which is the type of failure that we like to avoid (i.e. think about taking a small wooden dowel (thickness of a No. 2 pencil for example) and bending it between your hands. It is strained, but you can't tell. Continue to apply more force and it violently snaps. This is generally not good).

The next category is split into two subsections. Though similar, their one difference is very important:

- Welded/riveted together aluminum camper moment frames with traditional rear door/hatch: Super Pacific X1, etc. These are better than the simple bolted campers above, due to the way that they disperse the load into the corners, and are likely to outlast the composite campers over time. They are also more likely to suffer from a ductile failure, which is the type of failure that will show signs of distress before breaking, potentially allowing you to fix it before it truly falls apart.

- Welded/riveted together aluminum camper moment frames with rear shear wall: Alu-Cab Canopy Camper and Cabin Camper are the only ones afaik. The Alu-cab has a massive advantage over the SP X1 category due to the removal of the tailgate for the full back door of the camper. This basically creates a shear wall (plywood screwed to the 4 pieces of wood from earlier) at the rear end of the camper, down to the bed and frame. This does wonders for overall rigidity and longevity (one of the main reasons I bought an Alu-cab Canopy Camper myself). This design is on par with the most ideal frame design (below) due to this rear shear wall. It solves a massive problem that the other campers have (composite shelled campers also have this idea incorporated into them, most of the time).

- Braced frames: GFC is the only one in this category afaik. This is a more robust frame design at the base level, relative to all of the others on this list, and that is why it is tied at the top with the Alucab. It lacks the rear shear wall that the Alu-cab has, but the triangulated frame design is superior on the other three sides. Its main downside is that it is much less convenient to use (though this isn't a topic of this list) as the triangulated pieces of the frame block your side access into the camper.

All of this can be far more complex and nuanced, but I have neither the time or the desire to spell it all out on the internet. But this is a great basic understanding.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This is extremely useful. I plan to outfit a Tacoma in the near future for a trip to Northern Africa, so the timing is perfect.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Quote: Welded/riveted together aluminum camper moment frames with rear shear wall: Alu-Cab Canopy Camper and Cabin Camper are the only ones afaik. The Alu-cab has a massive advantage over the SP X1 category due to the removal of the tailgate for the full back door of the camper. This basically creates a shear wall (plywood screwed to the 4 pieces of wood from earlier) at the rear end of the camper, down to the bed and frame. This does wonders for overall rigidity and longevity (one of the main reasons I bought an Alu-cab Canopy Camper myself). This design is on par with the most ideal frame design (below) due to this rear shear wall. It solves a massive problem that the other campers have (composite shelled campers also have this idea incorporated into them, most of the time).

---You are on point with your remarks! The rear shear wall is very important, same as on the front bulkhead wall. TotalComposites campers have that build in :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1