Ramcharger Project

colodak

Adventurer
couple of suggestions for you. I used to have an '81 Ramcharger, if your going to use an aftermarket Electronic Control Module, get the best you can afford from NAPA or Carquest, I used to replace mine every year because they were a common failure. Also, if you have one of those damn little ceramic looking resistor blocks on the firewall, keep an extra of those as well and replace them at each tune-up.

I had to replace most of the interior on mine. I took those side panels out in the rear, they are just heavy cardboard, used them as a template and cut new side panels out of 1/8" plywood then recovered them with new fabric. I also lined the dead space in the back with foam padding (you can use audio sound deading material) it quited the truck down immensely and actually made it feel warmer in the winter.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Sexy wheels. Looks like all the rocks fell out of the rear end. Sort of a little dinky air cleaner.

Oooh...I think I see a cruise control unit under the hood!

Patman

Explorer
Looks really clean, makes me miss mine. Always had a latemodel diesel ramcharger plan in the back of my mind for an expedition rig.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I really like that RC. I have always wanted one but have never gotten serious enough to buy one. I do have the complete drivetrain out of my 85 power ram that looked exactly like your RC. It was the some color inside and out with 33 inch BFG ATs like yours. It got totaled when a Caddy t boned me and then wrapped me around a light pole. The driver of the caddy was trying to get to IHOP for the senior early bird special that was ending in five minutes. The frame was bent so bad the bed was three feet past the passenger side of the cab and I was thrown from the drivers seat and my face shattered the passenger side of the windshield. I was pretty lucky to walk away from that with nothing more than a scratched up face. The motor has less than 10k miles and the tranny has less than 2k miles and I have wanted to pick up an RC to put them in. Every time I see yours it makes me want to start looking. I can't wait to see more work and some of your trips in it.

Sounds like you need to get to work then! :D

couple of suggestions for you. I used to have an '81 Ramcharger, if your going to use an aftermarket Electronic Control Module, get the best you can afford from NAPA or Carquest, I used to replace mine every year because they were a common failure. Also, if you have one of those damn little ceramic looking resistor blocks on the firewall, keep an extra of those as well and replace them at each tune-up.

I had to replace most of the interior on mine. I took those side panels out in the rear, they are just heavy cardboard, used them as a template and cut new side panels out of 1/8" plywood then recovered them with new fabric. I also lined the dead space in the back with foam padding (you can use audio sound deading material) it quited the truck down immensely and actually made it feel warmer in the winter.

The module actually is a Borg Warner unit from O'Reilly's so I'm pretty confident in it. I will be getting a spare before the first trip though. I also have a spare resistor already. My first truck was a '90 Ram and I remember it giving me a fit. :eek:

Most of the interior pieces have been replaced already, mainly from getting brittle from the sun. Good call on the insulation. Would Dynamat or something similar be good?

Sexy wheels. Looks like all the rocks fell out of the rear end. Sort of a little dinky air cleaner.

Oooh...I think I see a cruise control unit under the hood!

I like the wheels too. It's going to break my heart if I go to tons and have to get rid of them. :(

Yep, it has working cruise control! :)

Looks really clean, makes me miss mine. Always had a latemodel diesel ramcharger plan in the back of my mind for an expedition rig.

A diesel RC would be awesome!

colodak

Adventurer
yep, I used the same Borg Warner units and they generally lasted about 4 or 5 mos. before failing. For some reason the NAPA or Carquest one's seemed to work better. As for the other, yeah, Dynamat will work, it will be more a deadener than an insulation, but it will definetly work and you'll notice it'll be quieter

RU55ELL

Explorer
Good to know. I have a NAPA close, so I'll pick one up from there. What is the foam insulation that you are talking about?

colodak

Adventurer
the stuff I used isn't readily available. My Mom worked at Storage Technology years ago, they had this foam that had a sticky tape backing, they used it to line the inside of the boxes they shipped the tape and disc drive units in. It would come in 2' x 4' sheets, you would cut to fit. She was able to bring home 30 or 40 of these sheets one time, they were just laying around the basement when I used them. I think if you get some foam padding, about 1" thick, use carpet tape to secure it to the side walls, it would work. You'll have to wipe them down and make sure they are good and clean. Took me probably two hours to do both sides on the back.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I'm looking at Napa right now and they offer two modules.

The Mileage Plus module is labelled as "cost effective".

The Echlin module costs almost double but I have no idea what could be so much better about this one. It says everything is top-of-the-line, but it looks/sounds like the BW module I got from O'Reilly's is the same module, just re-branded. It's also half the price.

The one for O'Reilly's also has a limited lifetime warranty opposed to a limited 12-month warranty that the Napa modules have. I think in this case, I'll stick with O'Reilly's, mainly due to the warranty.

RU55ELL

Explorer
Forgot to mention, after I build a winch bunper, I have an M12000 that will be going on the front. :)

RU55ELL

Explorer
More maintenance completed today. The window motor on the driver's side wasn't functioning so I replaced it. It wasn't too bad; I actually thought it went back in better than it came out. I used this how-to for help: http://ramchargercentral.com/technical-discussion/replacing-power-window-motor-how-to/

One thing I could add is, take the time and replace the plug itself instead of cutting and crimping pigtails like in the how-to.

This is the plug that comes on the new motor:
6047346231_33320bb27b_b.jpg

The tan clip comes out of the plug and the prongs unclip out of the plug.

6047897462_825abea366_b.jpg

Use a small screw driver for the prongs. Clip them into the old factory plug and you are done with a much cleaner result.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Once upon a truck, I had several Dodge 3/4-tons. On the '75 pictured, I used 4" Rancho front and 5" Superlift rear springs to clear 36" Goodyear Wrangler RT-II tires. I deleted the rear blocks entirely. Following, I could not keep a rear-axle drive yoke alive very long. I later sold this truck to a friend and he's wheeled the snot out of the truck with no problems.

When it sat in my yard, all pretty:
Dodgewith36s.jpg

Out on the trail:
mvc100f.jpg

mvc109fz.jpg

RU55ELL

Explorer
I wish I could have a reg cab anything, but in order to haul my wife and kids on trips, this is what it had to be. Nice truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp