Removing factory stripes?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Wondering if anyone here has ever removed the factory stripes on an older truck?

I have a 1994 black xtra-cab truck with light-grey/silverish factory striping. I plan on powder coating some steel wheels I have a dark grey and I have a Wildernest I'll be putting on this summer that is white. I now it might seem superficial, but I feel like I'm gonna have too many colors going on. I think everything would look perfect without the stripes.

I'm wondering if I'll end up with two different colors of paint since the paint under the stripes hasn't really ever seen the sun. Do you think the "stripes" will still be visible via a paint difference if I remove them?

corax

Explorer
remove a small section first to see how much fade you have. Try using polish to see how well it blends. Remember, use a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the stripe and adhesive so you can peal them off

Trail100

Observer
remove a small section first to see how much fade you have. Try using polish to see how well it blends. Remember, use a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the stripe and adhesive so you can peal them off

X2 It'll be darker under the stripe where it isn't faded from the sun. If you luck out with that and the heat gun trick doesn't work, auto paint supply shops sell erasers that mount to a drill or air grinder and take it off pretty easily...real messy though, lots of rubber powder everywhere as the disk wears out.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
So, is there any way that...

...I can fix that it'll be darker where the stripes were?

I was thinking about having the truck professionally detailed this summer to buff some swirling in the paint on the bed.

Would buffing the paint help at all? Or is it just always gonna be noticeable?

stonehenge

Observer
You'll always be able to see the difference especially in an older rig like yours. Black is especially bad. my suggestion is to remove the stripes, detail and then use an upper and lower pinstripe in a subtle color(a matching gray to your rack) to give the effect of a "purposely done" dark black stripe. my bet is it will look pretty classy.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
You'll always be able to see the difference especially in an older rig like yours. Black is especially bad. my suggestion is to remove the stripes, detail and then use an upper and lower pinstripe in a subtle color(a matching gray to your rack) to give the effect of a "purposely done" dark black stripe. my bet is it will look pretty classy.

This is a good idea, but there are three "stripes" to remove. I may look into the cost of having them remade in a darker color.

Use one of these to take them off. http://tinyurl.com/272dzjj

I actually have an extra brand new one still in the package that I've been meaning to post up for sale.

I've never used one of these before. I'll probably go with the heat gun option to remove the decals since I own one already.

Are there any considerations I should be aware of using a heat gun? Will it affect my paint?

Trail100

Observer
Are there any considerations I should be aware of using a heat gun? Will it affect my paint?

Don't concentrate on one spot too long or it can burn your paint depending on the gun. The stripe usually tears/breaks before that though.
Just keep it moving on the area that you're peeling towards, it takes some getting used to with the heat and moving at the right speed but once you get it, it should come off easy.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Well, I think I'm going to...

hold off on removing or swapping stripes for the moment. Too many irons in the fire and not enough cash for it all.

I have actual repairs to do to the truck this summer plus a few odds and ends to do to the truck before I worry to much about the way it looks. If it was possible to remove the stripes without it being noticeable I'd do it in a minute, but it seems like too much of a process at the moment. Replacements are $125.00/side, by the way.

Thanks for all of the responses. At least, if I do decide to remove them I know what I'm in for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1