Renegade concept at Detroit Auto Show

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I def. don't hate on the KL. We loved everything about the trailhawk when we tested one besides the visability. We are used to my JK and found the KL squat inside trying to look out. That's the other thing that looks impressive with the 'gade.

Sandstone

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1504-2015-four-wheeler-of-the-year/

The embargo on reviews of the Renegade has been lifted and the Internet is awash with reviews. Above is the 2015 Four Wheeler of the Year competition from Four Wheeler magazine. It came in 3rd but performed very respectably. For all you Cherokee KL haters, it won the competition, beating the impressive 4Runner Trail Pro TRD. It did have a concerning software glitch though.

One thing they really, really need to do is fix the code so the traction control can be shut completely off in off-road mode.

"The Renegade’s Achilles heel seemed to be hillclimbs. One long, loose dirt climb stopped the Renegade cold. Even with a long run at the hill it was unable to make the climb. It felt like it had run out of gearing, but we suspect the overactive traction control and smaller tires played a part. It just sat on the hill with the engine whining and only occasional wheelspin."

The Patriot does this too, and about the only thing you can do is to set a fault condition by pulling the ABS fuse or switch off power to the pitch sensor so you get wheel spin. Not exactly what I'd call an elegant solution...

Or they could just put Wavetrac's in it..:sombrero:

As far as the KL, I don't care for the looks that much, but I do like the two speed differential/rear locker setup. Maybe they'll add it to the next C-SUV.

haven

Expedition Leader
Too bad we don't get the engine choices available in Europe. A 2.0L turbodiesel with 258 ft lb of torque at 1750 rpm is optional. That would really wake up the Renegade!

The Euro version has to use urea injection, catalyst, and a particulate trap, just like diesels in USA do now. So it should not require a major effort to meet USA emissions. But with gas selling for $2 a gallon, while diesel costs $3.50 or more, there's no way diesel is viable in a relatively low-priced car in USA.

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
Excited to see the trail hawk model being priced starting at ~$26,000. Also really refreshing to see mpg reportedly over 30. Can't wait to take one for a test drive and see one in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Me Either. I am good friends with the owners of the Jeep dealership here. I am pressing them to get a hawk quickly. So I can more than likely buy it!

TheCatman

I'm seriously interested in seeing one of these in person. Though if they don't offer the manual tranny on the 2.4L, that'll be a major turn-off for me depending on how well the 1.4L drives.

Box Rocket

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1504-2015-four-wheeler-of-the-year/

The embargo on reviews of the Renegade has been lifted and the Internet is awash with reviews. Above is the 2015 Four Wheeler of the Year competition from Four Wheeler magazine. It came in 3rd but performed very respectably. For all you Cherokee KL haters, it won the competition, beating the impressive 4Runner Trail Pro TRD. It did have a concerning software glitch though.

I'm sorry but this is the most ridiculous review I have ever seen. Fourwheeler of the Year is historically focused on finding the best "fourwheeler" of the year, that means a heavy bias toward offroad performance. Reading the review the highpoints of the winning vehicle were interior fit and finish and onroad manners and ride. It was described as a vehicle you could take on a long road trip comfortably. With both of the jeeps the feedback regarding offroad performance was mostly about how the two jeeps performed better than expected. That wasn't hard to do because there were not high expectations. Nobody has expected the Fiat 500L (uh I mean the Jeep Renegade) to perform well off road. Same thing for the Dodge Dart (errrr...I mean Cherokee). And how on earth does a vehicle that has to be removed from the competition on a flatbed hauler win the event?? I'd be completely fine with either Jeep winning the title of FWOTY if they had actually outperformed the other vehicles in the way the review was originally intended. FWOTY isn't "Crossover of the year". If I wanted to find the best crossover I would be looking elsewhere. Looking for a real offroader? FWOTY used to be one of the things I would consider. That particular review has lost ALL credibility IMO as a reference point for anything I would trust offroad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online