Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Raptors have too much fancy electronic **************** for my tastes. Though the Gen1 aren't so bad.

That WOULD pretty well check all the boxes right out of the gate.

I couldn't begin to afford a current one. I don't think a single Raptor on the lot was less than 88k and had power everything and moon roof and gadgetry.

Raptors do have some fancy tech but no more than any other F150 and certainly less than some of the other offroady brands these days.

It would probably have to be a GEN1 as the GEN2 are basically still obnoxiously priced even in the used market. I'd prioritize 2013 and 2014 models.

I know used they are still pricey but you get a lot from it for the price.

KWJohnston

I've looked at a few trucks locally over the weekend. I'll spare everyone the specifics but the end result was no deals were made. I'm considering looking at some others out of state next weekend.

Now I need you guys to talk me outta this idea....my current 2wd truck is paid for. A lady I work with has a 1996 Grand Cherokee 4x4 in outstanding shape she is getting ready to sell for $2500. It's got over 200k miles on the 4.0 motor but paint is clean, interior is spotless and she drives it daily. Should I consider paying cash for it and keep my 2wd truck?

I would have a 4wd to use when I need and a truck to use when I need. The problem is I would never have both at the same time. So would I be better off just getting a new 4wd truck and forget this idea?

Thanks

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've looked at a few trucks locally over the weekend. I'll spare everyone the specifics but the end result was no deals were made. I'm considering looking at some others out of state next weekend.

Now I need you guys to talk me outta this idea....my current 2wd truck is paid for. A lady I work with has a 1996 Grand Cherokee 4x4 in outstanding shape she is getting ready to sell for $2500. It's got over 200k miles on the 4.0 motor but paint is clean, interior is spotless and she drives it daily. Should I consider paying cash for it and keep my 2wd truck?

I would have a 4wd to use when I need and a truck to use when I need. The problem is I would never have both at the same time. So would I be better off just getting a new 4wd truck and forget this idea?

Thanks
I see your logic but, I think you're the only one that can answer if it's the best solution. (Would parking be an issue, would having to insure and maintain two vehicle be a pain? etc...)

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

Thanks

Man thats a hard one. On one hand I love the 4.0 I6, and they really can last a long time if you take care of them, but boy am I not really a fan of 2nd GEN Cherokees. They're all getting up there, and while the paint and stuff might be clean they're known to just rot away, and quickly too. My friend was stationed in California and bought one and moved back Wisconsin an it was gone in about 2 years.

Plus I don't know what your budget is, but spending 2500 for "good enough, I guess" wouldn't cut it for me. Plus you wouldn't be getting what you set out to look into in the first place and that was a truck.

I'd still look into 4wd pickups but again thats just me.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks

So long as you are comfortable with working on a 24 year old vehicle, I'd go for it.

Grassland

I don't know how things are rust wise where you are, but I got rid of my 2002 Grand Cherokee because of rust. Being unibody, the body structure is important.

I'll have to re read the thread, but what was primary goal of the truck again?

1996 is first gen Grand Cherokee. They are quite small by today's standards. While the solid axle suspension set up gives you lots of affordable and easy lift options, I've never had an old jeep that didn't constantly require some front end part or another.
As reliable as the 4.0 inline was, it's not great on gas and not flush with power.
I'm more familiar with the second gen 99-04 platform, and at this age they are rife with issues like blend door failures, heater core failures, hoses and lines rotting away or cracking from age. Loose wiring connections. Etc.
I loved my 2002 Grand, but my , 3.7 F150 has more power than the 4.7 V8, is better on gas, can tow as much, and I'm not chasing down front end issues

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I don't know how things are rust wise where you are, but I got rid of my 2002 Grand Cherokee because of rust. Being unibody, the body structure is important.

I'll have to re read the thread, but what was primary goal of the truck again?

Yeah, its not like a frame swap is a cost effective option on older Jeeps (and any body on frame vehicle, for that matter), but it is still an option. I know of someone who loved their ragged Range Rover Classic that had a questionable frame and they swapped the whole thing out. Not what I'd do to a vehicle thats valued at about 5k, but hey he ended up getting a few more years out of it before selling.

And I just looked at the first post and it looks like he was just interested in the F150 platform and seeing what people can do with them. I mean sometimes we just gravitate towards what we gravitate towards.

KWJohnston

My mind got off track! Sometimes I spot a vehicle and think "hey that would make a neat project". This Grand Cherokee was right in front of me and the gears in my brain started turning. After I slept on it, reality set in.

The reality is I need a 4wd truck. I have a lot of stuff that I plan to haul on some of my Fishing/Hunting/Family Camping trips. Some of the stuff I will haul is better off in the bed of a truck than in the back of an SUV. The ZJ GC just won't have the room unless I tow an off road trailer and I'd rather not have to fool with that.

People do some cool things with those ZJ's. Seems like the unitbody would get all kind of warped and twisted but they make em' work.

I've got my eye on a 2013 XL Crew 4x4 v8 that's out of state. Gonna try to go look at it this weekend if at all possible.

KWJohnston

Have any of you guys owned an F150 with the factory vinyl seats? Any problems with them cracking or wearing out ? Are they comfortable?

I'm sure it's easier to keep them clean than cloth seats. The STX and XL trim trucks have them as an option.

Thanks.

Grassland

Not in that generation.

Good news is seat covers are a few hundred bucks. I have Fia ones that fit decent and have held up to work duty.

phsycle

Adventurer
For me, vinyl has all qualities I hate about leather/cloth and none of the advantages. Too hot, too cold, butt sweat, cracking. Yeah, it's easier to wipe stuff off. But not worth it to me.

I like cloth the best, as far as factory options go. But best material is canvas. I love Carhartt covers. Feels the best to me.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I love leather. I think it gets a bad rap as a "luxury item" but man its super rugged on these trucks. Sure its not going to hold up if you throw it in a contractors truck, but in your own personal vehicle that you'd tale care of (I presume you would at least), take some time and throw some leather protector or whatever onto it every few weeks. I have covers on my seats just because I have a tendency to have oils, jet fuel, and hydralic fluid on me from work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1