roof rack questions TJ

Jakes01234

Explorer
for the people that have them, how does yours mount? would you like it mounted differently?

Has it bent due to heavy loads?

Anything you regret about the style/model you bought?

Feel free to post pics
im just trying to get a general idea of what people are using and whats actually working for the expedition type use.. I need more space so the rack is next inline to purchase..
Thanks
Jake

Desert patrol

I have the Garvin Wilderness rack. I use it all the time, not just for expedition stuff, but hauling lumber and lots of daily stuff. very sturdy, low profile. it attaches at the windshield, and under the back body mounts. the only thing I find is I don't take the top off as much as I used to.

Jakes01234

Explorer
that is the one high on the list... i like that it mounts to the body instead of the body behind the tailights...
thank you
Jake

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I've used the Kargo Master "Congo Cage" on a TJ and have one now on my LJ. Both with crossbars for kayaks rather than a basket.

Pros: Beefy, folds out of the way easily to change tops.

Cons: Tall, heavy, noisy, rusty, requires drilling.

The bottom line: I was happy with it on the TJ but significantly less so on the LJ because it turned out I leave the hard top on all the time. For that, it would be better to mount roof bars to the hard top the same way one would for a truck cap.

Some photos...

DSC_593.JPG

DSC_605.JPG

DSC_3887.jpg

DSC_3762.jpg

GP'd

Adventurer
I have the Garvin Wilderness rack. I use it all the time, not just for expedition stuff, but hauling lumber and lots of daily stuff. very sturdy, low profile. it attaches at the windshield, and under the back body mounts. the only thing I find is I don't take the top off as much as I used to.

I feel exactly the same. I use it for home depot runs more than jerry cans and camping supplies.

It was the first modification I made to the Jeep and have been incredibly happy with it over the past 4 years.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I have the Smittybilt. It's pretty stout.

I think if I was to do it again, I would purchase the Gobi.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I have built my own rack. It is attached to the windsheild hinges and to the rear bumper. If I had to do it over. I would not have used the hinges. It is far to much work to remove the Torx bolts. I would have attached it to an my rock sliders.

gorogergo

I also have the Smittybuilt rack and cargo basket.
I bought it this summer and so far, so good. The rear mounts to the frame at the bumper and the front mounts to the bottom door hinges, so no drilling. Due to it being frame mount in the rear, there are additional small pieces in the pack for vehicles with body lifts. It is LOUD and I don't take the top down as often.
Here's a pic without the basket:
Off%252520Road%25252009-05-11%252520005.jpg

BTW I purchased mine from Amazon. Yes, they are Prime eligible, so free 2nd day shipping, $3.00 next day.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have built my own rack. It is attached to the windsheild hinges and to the rear bumper. If I had to do it over. I would not have used the hinges. It is far to much work to remove the Torx bolts. I would have attached it to an my rock sliders.

I built my own too. It mounted to the windshield on the front, and a set of steel corners on the back.

1.25" round HREW, .120" wall.

It was a touch on the overkill side - but had no problems with heavy loads. Well - the rack was fine, the slinky-like suspension wasn't the best with a heavy load up high - but it survived a few thousand miles of Baja with the easi-awn, who knows how many lumber & steel runs, etc.

Jakes01234

Explorer
now i see why people build there own... 1500 for a rack is a little steep like that Gobi.. that garvin is looking better and better

Phreak480

Army Guy
i love my garvin wilderness. and i also end up using it more around town than offroad. although we have hauled some stuff up to my buddy's hunting property with it on occasion. it was easy to mount, and it is durable as all hell. when i first bolted it up i gave it the gorilla test, i climbed on top and shook the jeep like an angry gorilla. at that moment i said to myself, damn this thing is sturdy as all hell. i was even luckier that i bought mine used very cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1