Running 2008+ Diesel on Low Sulfur

dags

Adventurer
Looking for some help

I'm wanting to driving a post 2007 diesel pickup down to South America - how can you modify the truck to run on low sulfur?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Would help to have the exact specifics of the vehicle you are planning to take and what emissions management features are equipped on it. Diesel engines are not generic!

gun45boat

Adventurer
If I get your right.... You want to drive a pre 07 diesel truck to an area that has low sulfer fuel?? I take it you are running an older diesel and want to make sure that running LSD wont hurt the engine? If that is the case, I run my old 1992 7.3L IDI diesel on the LSD BUT I also add a quart of TW-# 2 stroke oil directly into the fuel tank along with a quart of ATF fluid EVEry fuel fill up (30 gallons)

Been doing this to my old 7.3IDI for the last 8 years with NO issues.. It quiets the engine down AMAZINGLY!!!!! I think your good running LSD in ANY diesel that is newer than 2003, Pre 2003, I would recommend adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel tanks for the extra lubrication..

Just my $.02

gun45boat

Adventurer
OR you are wanting to run a newer diesel 08+ to SA and want to be able to run REGULAR DIESEL (non LSD) through the engine... Basically running an "off road" diesel through an LSD engine... NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
If I get your right.... You want to drive a pre 07 diesel truck to an area that has low sulfer fuel?? I take it you are running an older diesel and want to make sure that running LSD wont hurt the engine? If that is the case, I run my old 1992 7.3L IDI diesel on the LSD BUT I also add a quart of TW-# 2 stroke oil directly into the fuel tank along with a quart of ATF fluid EVEry fuel fill up (30 gallons)

Been doing this to my old 7.3IDI for the last 8 years with NO issues.. It quiets the engine down AMAZINGLY!!!!! I think your good running LSD in ANY diesel that is newer than 2003, Pre 2003, I would recommend adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel tanks for the extra lubrication..

Just my $.02

I read it that he wants to take a truck with an ULSD motor to countries that do not sell it and is wondering what to do.

Emission delete kits for 2007 and later US diesel pickups are all over the internet. They should include a chip of some type so you don't get error lights or limp mode.
Do your engine a favor and also delete the EGR.
You will be able to burn fuel with any sulfur content. Also you will be able to use higher ash oils, i.e. CI4+ oil like Delo 400 Multigrade 15W40 without the LE, or Delvac MX 15W40. Oil with higher ash content generally has better sulfuric acid neutralizing capability (higher TBN).
Don't buy a chip that cranks up output significantly, that will decrease durability.
I wish someone would make an emission delete kit for my BMW.
I took the EGR off the Unimog and now I go much longer between oil changes (over 20000 mi sometimes)
An example of an emission delete source: http://www.xtremediesel.com/ford6.4LpowerstrokeDPFOff-RoadOnlyRaceProducts.aspx

Charlie

Last edited:

dags

Adventurer
thanks for the information - i'm new to the world of domestic diesels. If you remove the emissions items will the vehicle make it through yearly emissions testing?

thanks for the information - i'm new to the world of domestic diesels. If you remove the emissions items will the vehicle make it through yearly emissions testing?
Absolutely will not make thru emissions testing if you have it in your area. Do you have it?

Charlie

John E Davies

Adventurer
I'm in Georgia and they have emissions testing
You are pretty much screwed, unless you want to restore the system to original each time you get it tested. You are either going to have to move, or register the truck elsewhere, or better yet sell it and buy a pre-emissions vehicle.

BTW it is a felony to remove any emissions stuff, though it is quite commonly done. I was considering a Ram 6.7, but I ended up with a very nice low miles 2006 Ram 3500 5.9, for this very reason. OTH any common rail (very high pressure) diesel engine is going to have issues running low quality fuel, but you can add extra filters and additives to take care of that.

Are you sure that Georgia will continue to test diesels? Here in Washington state, late model trucks (2007+) are exempt, and ALL testing will be phased out by 2020. Older diesels are also exempt, but only those under 6001 pounds GVW, so my heavy '06 will continue to get tested (opacity test), due to my zip code. If I moved five miles further out from Spokane, it would be exempt. What a stupid system....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
You want stupid where I live.in montana I have lifetime plates on a 2000 and a 2003 but my cousin had to get his 97 tested every year in the same state.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Dags,

Unfortunately getting an 08 Ford diesel to both pass emissions testing and run on foreign diesel fuel is going to require you to take equipment on and off every time you need to smog it. It sounds like you may be planning a trip down south which might be a one time deal? If so then it shouldn't be that bad to reinstall all the factory emissions stuff once your trip is over. You could always sell your aftermarket parts after you are done using them. At a minimum you would need a delete capable tuner and a DPF delete pipe. As stated earlier though, I would also recommend the EGR delete. This gets rid of the EGR cooler and the other associated junk that just clutters up the engine and taxes your cooling system.

Another issue is that emissions delete tuners are now banned by the EPA. You can find them used but they pull a premium price. The only other way to do it now is to buy a regular tuner (like an H&S MiniMax) and then have a custom tune done that will allow the deletes. Unfortunately this is also expensive.

If you haven't already purchased the truck then maybe look for something older. As mentioned before, auxiliary fuel filters are a must for the newer common rail diesels if you are going to run on foreign fuels. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1