Show your leveling jacks

Jevy

Adventurer
now we're in the zone. more detailed pix please!

oh the jacks? All I did was weld up some 2" square tubing and weld the jacks to them. I did it on all four corners and am planning on making some camping accessories to fit in the 2" receivers sticking out by the fenders. I am going to be mounting my tent hopefully tomorrow so I will try to get a few more pics when I get it put together.

edit: also forgot to mention that I bought them from etrailer.com and the prices were very reasonable and great service. (I'm not affiliated with them just a happy camper LOL)

rarecj8

Observer
oh the jacks? All I did was weld up some 2" square tubing and weld the jacks to them. I did it on all four corners and am planning on making some camping accessories to fit in the 2" receivers sticking out by the fenders. I am going to be mounting my tent hopefully tomorrow so I will try to get a few more pics when I get it put together.

edit: also forgot to mention that I bought them from etrailer.com and the prices were very reasonable and great service. (I'm not affiliated with them just a happy camper LOL)

which one from this list do you have?

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Jack.aspx

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Welded up a back bumper, then welded it to the trailer.

photo-25.jpg

Then I welded brackets to the drop foot jacks, when I go set up, they slide in the end of the bumper and lock in with a pin

roam19-1.jpg

roam17-1.jpg

Jevy

Adventurer

these are the ones I ordered

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Pro-Series/PS1401600383.html

Also keep in mind that I flipped the axle and have 35" tires. If your trailer isn't that high you can likely get away with something smaller. I still have enough travel to jack up the trailer where the wheels are totally off the ground. When I bought mine I looked for a jack that offered the most travel with the least amount of stored height.

rarecj8

Observer
cool. I'm running 8 lug H2 wheels with 37" tires. (same as on jeep to make everything mix-n-match and unless necessary, avoid hauling another spare tire) A tall order, LOL. Like your referenced link-- worst case, i can easily lengthen the feet to make them taller. Always carry some blocks of wood for that on the earlier trailer. We've camped w/ the old pop up that the ground was sloped about 15 degrees. Dighole for up hill tire and after leveled out, down bill tire free spinning, and yet a perfectly stable and level bed. Momma likes a level sleeping area. Think i will use your referenced jacks then mount some sort of pipe nipple to swivel out of way while in transit or pull them off for tight trails w/ a pin.

Waited 7 months for the new RTT coming all the way from Australia and to save shipping, will meet the USA distributor 1/2 way in lonely Baker, NV in about 2 weeks. Can't wait...

M35A2

Tinkerer
i like the trailing arm/air bag deal. sadly, i'm too deep into the project with leaf springs, shocks, bump stops, etc. The trailer suspension is SUPER flexy to tackle trails like rubicon and fordyce, which it has already proven itself. Some just drive on a rock or block of wood to level out trailer, but with a soft suspension, the tub still rocks, so must support the trailer frame and let the suspension just hang.

Here is what we're dealing with:

in pack mule mode going camping
IMG_5314.jpg

bumshot
IMG_5313.jpg

IMG_5310.jpg

Frontal view
IMG_5309.jpg

Base frame for the tent coming from www.3dogcampingusa.com
IMG_6012.jpg

in long-haul desert mode prior to being rino coated
IMG_4309.jpg

Nice rig, end to end.

General Automag

Adventurer
Just thinking out loud, but why not make just the RTT adjustable? This could be accomplished by just drilling a series of holes on each leg of the platform. When you park the trailer, pull the pin and raise/lower to desired height, then re-install the pin. Get you some of those stick on levelers for campers and put on the side. Cheap and easy.

You can't really adjust a RTT when it's mounted because the weight is 100+ pounds. You could if you removed the tent, but it's usually a two man job.

mmuthart

Observer
Installed these on my trailer. Saw them in a build on this forum. They've worked excellent. Manufacturer is BAL.

Attachments

• KampBuild_1.jpg
    KampBuild_1.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 80

rarecj8

Observer
Installed these on my trailer. Saw them in a build on this forum. They've worked excellent. Manufacturer is BAL.

i like that but in past had issues w/ jacks w/ an exposed threaded screw. dirt, grime, etc tended to clog up the threads. Even well lubricated attracted a lot of unwanted grime. i see those BAL units all over for a good price-- i have 35" of dead air i have to cover and the BAL units only drop like 20"?

the other pic of the two hi lifts solves a problem but i also have to deal with weight issues.

i want the jacks to angle out at about 20 degrees, (for a wider footprint) but now it seems that will interfere with the side of the fold open tent. looking at maybe some extension for one side to clear the RTT.

thanks and keep the ideas coming.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Just thinking out loud, but why not make just the RTT adjustable? This could be accomplished by just drilling a series of holes on each leg of the platform. When you park the trailer, pull the pin and raise/lower to desired height, then re-install the pin. Get you some of those stick on levelers for campers and put on the side. Cheap and easy.

My trailer does this, but the difficulty is raising the tent, at ~ 100lbs + the rack it takes more than one person. My wife and I can't raise mine to full height. I have to use a scissor jack currently to lift it.

418590_10151376881238294_120579634_n.jpg

rarecj8

Observer
yikes! hate to roll out of bed. One thing i do not like about the parallel RTTs is one person has to climb over the other to get in/out of bed. My Venturecraft (for sale on this forum) sleeps 90 degrees to tub so either sleeper can get in/pout and not bother the other.

JF81-- got pix of your leveling jack detail?

FredB

Observer
I'll play. I like a lot of the ideas I've seen here. Too bad, I did mine before I saw them. :)

I've only used this once with the roof top tent, and didn't have any need for side to side leveling. Perhaps in the future, I will. I think I'll adapt the Hi-Lift method if I need to.

Here it is leveled out:

100_4387.jpg

Note the fancy electric lift motor. :)

The front is set up like this:

100_4382.jpg

The jacks I had from HF were too short so I made them removable, and added some steel to give them more adaptability and length.

100_4384.jpg

Note the portability of the electric lift motor.

The rear is set-up like this. Again added steel to make up for it being too short.

100_4385.jpg

100_4386.jpg

I've been laid off for awhile, I'm making do with what I already have. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1