Sleeping Arrangements

jscusmcvet

Explorer
This past weekend I went on my first camping trip with my 1991 Suburban in the NC mountains. I slept the first night in my bantam trailer/truck tent mash up and that went well, but dang it was cold. On night 2 I slept in the second seat of the Burb. Thank goodness I am only 5'6". :). When I got home I pulled the 3rd seat out and Ann and I confirmed that we can both fit nicely in the cargo space...

I am thinking we can create some screens for the windows and the back doors... or perhaps pick up one of those SUV tents that have an envelope around the back of the rig...

So... Show me your sleeping arrangements! Does not have to be in a Suburban, or even SUV. I am looking for ideas and am open to all comers. Any info and pics you can share would be awesome.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My wife and I love our old 1970 Suburban with a sleep inside setup,
We have 4 fold flat seats out of mini-vans (2 in front & 2 in rear)
center console between the front for storage and fridge between the rear seats.
the sleep platform is the height of the flat seats/fridge so a ton of room.
Storage under the platform and canvas window covers with magnets (got those from Nick here on Expo)
Easy to stealth camp
f1ySO6ZunFp7OgrdDndN5eBvUgHW1pbZtGnDHqtjHMqcwkwwfqnlofrckL12eJgevHmWTMu5Fk9W-Bxv1MJ16xVarrHr2vbiOXE9I8HHEu0QadgCpYUB3ASoxkbw5zjCfTISrM_rFepaYvRcDMqd7NK4Coxvzap--ZDRqc1qfXJK8IanvDQUVIYuGn0sNRbeWBlUmxyC6Y-z-DTTCnYSLHrh3dZ2ne_TOO04MoyRn8z3kkXOfVy3HCyACYzu68Q8zgeAExSXe6wWnCIIWaZUpFlY_Kh8przkiHpmrp9EL0TeiCRPhTCZ2x80IJDoaIXCtFhouLEEtKJx5Ygm7788qLDgFDVRaN7R9FUBsghmuN_TqKlKuAFVQq9C3I9PBgRS6_xUbXM9Yyz3hYrAnDk7rj3vo-n2icgDkJwvbOKrg4Qi6CW4vw2vDuGXOM-uZFoHsrdjAr22Rl4fz5rsDJJH2Wg27r_g6fkDEK9Vtq1dHJWp63XkmDqTbUhFvNFWZ26KwuSjumnNjPSjd0S0XvU_alWeAaRSwvGZuZ2YA1Mh3_L_q8UWDCGxayX_3ygfasyLH5mR=w1231-h923-no

BlackPearl

IMG_7473.jpgIMG_7413.jpgIMG_2945 copy.jpgIMG_0661 copy.JPG

I used to be Sleeping out of the back of the truck on a double air mattress it fit perfectly with the back seat down and gave me a nice place to put my duffle bag beside the spare tire, now I have my roof top tent and I couldn't be happier

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Slept well in the back of my Tahoe once I unload a bit of my travel gear. I have magnet mount window screens to cover the back windows and then just close the liftgate at bedtime.

TripWest2009339.jpg
TripWest2009171.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
You guys are right on it. We have an air mattress already that I think will fit. The screens held on with Magnets over the windows is a great idea... I wonder if Ann can rig us a giant one to cover the rear opening of the Burb.

Keep those pics coming. It is really helping a lot.

arveetek

Adventurer
You guys are right on it. We have an air mattress already that I think will fit. The screens held on with Magnets over the windows is a great idea... I wonder if Ann can rig us a giant one to cover the rear opening of the Burb.

Keep those pics coming. It is really helping a lot.

Yes you can. I just cut some window screen out of a large roll from a hardware store, and attach it to the rear of my Tahoe with magnets with the lift hatch opened. I also have screens for the front windows as well.

Casey

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This past weekend I went on my first camping trip with my 1991 Suburban in the NC mountains. I slept the first night in my bantam trailer/truck tent mash up and that went well, but dang it was cold. On night 2 I slept in the second seat of the Burb. Thank goodness I am only 5'6". :). When I got home I pulled the 3rd seat out and Ann and I confirmed that we can both fit nicely in the cargo space...

I am thinking we can create some screens for the windows and the back doors... or perhaps pick up one of those SUV tents that have an envelope around the back of the rig...

So... Show me your sleeping arrangements! Does not have to be in a Suburban, or even SUV. I am looking for ideas and am open to all comers. Any info and pics you can share would be awesome.
Do you have the barn doors or the lift/drop gate? If it's barn doors, I got nothin'.
But if you have the lift/drop gate, I've used this before on a Tacoma and it worked great:
2008_0308_102240AA.jpg

Here's the link:
https://www.campmor.com/c/dac-full---size-truck-tent-20745?gclid=CMOn4ej428oCFcwYHwodY-kIHw
Obviously mine was the "compact truck" size but they do make a "full size truck" version too.

p nut

butter
My own personal set up/opinion:

I've set up sleeping platforms in SUV's, and used those truck tents. In my opinion and for my uses, they are a hassle. We've got a bunch of gear in the back (2 kids), and it would have to be moved in order to get the sleeping bags rolled out. Perhaps if we didn't have kids and/or lots of gear to tote around, it would make more sense.

And I didn't care for the truck tents, either. Nothing wrong with them, but sometimes we wanted to camp further in the trees, but were limited to how far back we could park the truck.

I keep it simple: Good ol' ground tent!! :)

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Yep, we have barn doors, hence the question... I will have to figure a way to challenge Ann into it...

Sleeping in the back would not be our camping option every time, but would be useful (I think) from time to time. I like Lance's platform and may come up with something like that. Alternatively, having all extra gear packed in watertight boxes that could live outside the truck when we were using the sleeping area... Good ideas all around.

p nut

butter
Here is some info on a Tacoma that got me into Tacomas years ago. Cool set up with the platform. Again, it's a hassle for me to move all my crap out of the truck every time we hit the sack, but if you can make it work, it would definitely be useful at time. Especially in bear country...

http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp