SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

coastsider

Adventurer
While we are on the subject of heaters, does anyone know where you can purchase a cap to cover the male fitting of a quick connect coupler?

I had the same idea, seemed a little exposed to dust and grit etc. I found a soft plastic cap at ACE hardware in the screws and bolts section, 60¢.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coastsider

Adventurer
ad96b528837079ad0eaa75a1c53cb08b.jpg

Last trip to the Mojave, I thought I came down that rock shelf a little hard! Bump stop did not fair well, but it did its job and stopped the axle hitting the frame. A nice new one is now in its place.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Hey Chris. The rig is very new to us and have only been on one very short trip so far so difficult to gauge how long a tank will last just yet, but it's easy to hook up any size tank to so I don't see a problem as we always carry spares. We will be using it to wash dishes as well as ourselves so it will get daily use for sure. I can say it's wonderful having super hot water though and if you get one you won't be disappointed! I'll try to monitor over our next trip.
Kevin, how do you pump water to the water heater for, say, a hot shower or washing dishes? I have a 510 on order (with water heater and 30 gallon water tank) and am under the impression you can't pump water from the on-board tank directly to the heater.

coastsider

Adventurer
Kevin, how do you pump water to the water heater for, say, a hot shower or washing dishes? I have a 510 on order (with water heater and 30 gallon water tank) and am under the impression you can't pump water from the on-board tank directly to the heater.

My 459 has the 30 gallon tank and uses a water pump (sorry not sure of the make) that's mounted behind my fridge slide. This feeds to the on demand hot water shower the pump is activated via a rocker switch on the shower unit. For hot water I just hook up the propane tank and hit the pilot, or striaght cold water without the hook up. Works great, not sure why you are being told your water can't be pumped to the shower, how else would it feed it? I can post pics of the set up if it will help.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
My 459 has the 30 gallon tank and uses a water pump (sorry not sure of the make) that's mounted behind my fridge slide. This feeds to the on demand hot water shower the pump is activated via a rocker switch on the shower unit. For hot water I just hook up the propane tank and hit the pilot, or striaght cold water without the hook up. Works great, not sure why you are being told your water can't be pumped to the shower, how else would it feed it? I can post pics of the set up if it will help.
Good news! My lack of hands on experience is what led me to question it. For some reason I thought the water heater requires you to provide your own non-integrated pressurized water source, while the 30 gallon tank and pump function as a separate system. Pics would be awesome.

coastsider

Adventurer
Please post photos as j was told this couldn't be done as well

Here you go guys, my water set up.

The dual water tanks linked with selectable valves. The large diameter pipe leads into the fridge compartment were it connects to the Flojet pump.

e964bec49ec671c89cfeecf19c9098c9.jpg

15ff94a033b359fc05c4e524bbec2840.jpg

dfc3ddbc56199940525eff61480eefef.jpg

Here's the tank filler and overflow below the water heater shower unit.

110b1f573b0a916899f535f90c11d413.jpg

Here's the switch to operate the water pump

b782d3a49ec2ca081e389512c5c61869.jpg

Hook up propane and turn this switch under the unit in for piping hot water.

d3e27010472da08578c5a0e403089bfc.jpg

4248bbd78e9120950e1c0715b0f59687.jpg

coastsider

Adventurer
Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Now I have more ways to spend money haha

Yup! From my build invoice, $750 for the instant water heater/shower including tig welded storage box (superb quality) and $1200 for the water tank system which includes the pump and skid plates etc. I know it's not cheap but believe me it's an awesome addition to the trailer.

cactusjk

Explorer
Treeline highly recommended go with an aqua cube instead of the permanently mounted hot water and favored tongue water storage that might not be as much but is much easier to maintain, etc., not to mention the weight.

coastsider

Adventurer
Treeline highly recommended go with an aqua cube instead of the permanently mounted hot water and favored tongue water storage that might not be as much but is much easier to maintain, etc., not to mention the weight.

What's an 'Aqua cube'? I couldn't find on Treeline's website. I would have thought the low mounted tanks close to the axle rather than tongue mounted would fair better off road, my 2¢. I've also had no problems whatsoever fully loaded with both tanks full over pretty rough terrain. I'm always for keeping the heaviest weight low and central whenever possible.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Yup! From my build invoice, $750 for the instant water heater/shower including tig welded storage box (superb quality) and $1200 for the water tank system which includes the pump and skid plates etc. I know it's not cheap but believe me it's an awesome addition to the trailer.
I purchased the same, happy to hear the pump goes through the heater. Thanks for the pics!

cactusjk

Explorer
Not on their website. Tom recommended the Mr Heater Aquacube. Agree good to keep weight low. I only carry 2 Scepter water cans that are enough for us. I was trying to minimize the holes in the cabin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1