Soon to be Cruisin'

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at trading in my horribly unreliable jeep jk unlimited for a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser. 144,000 miles and it drove great. Talking with the dealer tmrw.
What kind of things should I be watching for in the cruiser? What questions should I ask? Any advice would be great.

What kind of mileage can I expect? I've heard around 12-15, which is fine. Anything that can be done to improve it? exhaust, intake, chip,etc.

How well does the Land Cruiser tow trailers? is it rated for 6500 or 7000?
Do i have to use premium fuel in it?

Thanks,

Jack.

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Don't know much about the 100's except they are SWEET! IFS adds a lot of daily comfort and control. LOVE the interior and the drive - very civilized way to rough it smoothly.

Check Slee's link above. They know these rigs very well and offer a lot of support, both in parts as well as in tech.

Only thing I can add is that if you do not know much about these, a dealer pre-purchase inspection might be in order. Granted they will pick it to death trying to drum up business, but they can also run the VIN and will have experienced hands familiar with this type of Cruiser looking at it.

Good Luck!

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at trading in my horribly unreliable jeep jk unlimited for a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser. 144,000 miles and it drove great. Talking with the dealer tmrw.
What kind of things should I be watching for in the cruiser? What questions should I ask? Any advice would be great.

What kind of mileage can I expect? I've heard around 12-15, which is fine. Anything that can be done to improve it? exhaust, intake, chip,etc.

How well does the Land Cruiser tow trailers? is it rated for 6500 or 7000?
Do i have to use premium fuel in it?

Thanks,

Jack.

1) congrats on finding a nice 100.
2) your gas mileage expectation is spot on.
3) You can do exhuast, I would leave intake factory as the "performance" ones let it a higher amount of grit, more air in=more dirt in.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
what types of mods do people normally do right away?
can you replace the sombrero on the grill to where it just says "toyota"?
do you guys normally move the axle breathers? i was reading somewhere and saw something about that.

I am fairly certain that the 2001 Land Cruiser will be mine this evening. It has around 144,000 miles and its silver. Pretty good lookin' if you ask me.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
what types of mods do people normally do right away?
can you replace the sombrero on the grill to where it just says "toyota"?
do you guys normally move the axle breathers? i was reading somewhere and saw something about that.

I am fairly certain that the 2001 Land Cruiser will be mine this evening. It has around 144,000 miles and its silver. Pretty good lookin' if you ask me.

Please share some pics when you can! :smiley_drive:

car-car

Observer
Make sure they have service records in hand. The motors in the 100 series Cruisers are great if all maintenance is kept up. The are easy on oil if changed regularly, and the cooling system is better than the 80 series. Major thing to check in in the service records is that the timing belt was done at 90k. Will be due again at 180k. If it hasn't been done or they cannot document it, leverage hard with that one. Its an expensive (but necessary) preventative maintenance item on the 100 series. Also, I think the 2001 vintage requires premium (I know our 2000 does). I think the 2002 and newer can take lesser grades, but don't quote me on that.

sardi55

They are fantastic trucks. Couple things to make sure have been kept up. First like mentioned before timing belt/waterpump. Make sure the regular maintenance included getting the wheel bearings packed. Also let the truck get as cold as possible and do a cold start to see if you get any ticking noise. This could be the exhaust manifolds and gets really pricey really quick. Other than that keep the oil changed and it will run forever, I ran a 2000 uzj100 to 325,000 before it met its end from ice and a big pine tree.:smiley_drive:

Laxaholic

Adventurer
the dealer couldn't get the front end balanced so i get 4 FREE new tires.:victory: lookin' good on this one

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I don't have it quite yet, dealer is going to check it out one more time, had some vibration in the wheel still.
Here it is at my house, should have it in the morning!
What do you guys do about the sombrero in the grill, any way to change it out?
How easy is it to remove those side steps?

Attachments

• Land Cruiser.jpg
    Land Cruiser.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1