Sounds like Stellantis is on the right path.

ThundahBeagle

Reading is fundamental. I wrote there are no mid size EV pickup options.

Why yes, my home is solar powered. One of the several reasons we left Arizona was to be able to generate our own energy without onerous fees and regulations.

There are plenty of studies that rebuke the “coal powered ev” narrative. Even an EV powered by a coal plant is still more efficient and less carbon intensive than the average combustion vehicle. I can cite my sources if you are interested.

Besides, coal plants are dying off pretty quickly due market forces. They’re just bad investments at this point.

For our current energy mix you can check this out.
Click on the supply tab and you can see where our energy is coming from today. It’s cloudy and rainy in NorCal right now, and of course we are all nearing solstice.

50% natural gas.
Almost 18% "unspecified imported" - read: hydro, nuclear, coal, burning trash or anything really
Almost 9% nuclear. NUCLEAR

I've seen the call by environmentalists for more nuclear as a supposed "green and safe option." Sorry, but anyone who remembers Three Mile Island would call the nouveau environmentalists out on that BS...Speaking of the government or big business lying to constituency ...

That chart shows renewables currently (see what I did there?) at about 10% of demand, and almost 80% of CA's power still sourced from either carbon or bad juju that kills people invisibly and leaves 40 sq miles uninhabitable for 5 lifetimes. And they still cant keep the lights on

I just cant see how all electrics are feasible now. Maybe in 10- 20 years

Yes, the percentage of renewables would be down at 9 pm, two days from Winter Solstice.

There were no rolling blackout this year, and those previous were due to load planning during extreme heat. Unlike Texas the rest of the county is on shared regional interconnects where electricity is bought and sold on an open market.

California also suffers from NIMBY, and political manipulation concerning utilty scale clean energy projects. Roof top solar is also continually under attack from investor owned utilities and even more so by unions here. Rural California is a lot more conservative, just like most states.

As to nuclear, I’m not 100% on board either but Diablo Canyon is there already and is helping out. The cost to build new nuclear is mind blowing and even more mind blowing is the cost to get rid of one. So here we are stuck with a previous generations idea of what is best.

Here’s a fun chart..

1703090068580.png

I do know there was a lot of coal money that fed the anti-nuclear PR effort. Just as the oil industry is currently pushing hydrogen and hybrids.

I’m fortunate to live in an area with a community owned utility that is very rooftop friendly. Last year I paid about $200 for electricity. My house and daily transportation is 100% electric, my Ranger is the last thing I own that burns hydrocarbons. The R1T is close, but the right replacement isn’t available yet.

ThundahBeagle

Yes, the percentage of renewables would be down at 9 pm, two days from Winter Solstice.

There were no rolling blackout this year, and those previous were due to load planning during extreme heat. Unlike Texas the rest of the county is on shared regional interconnects where electricity is bought and sold on an open market.

California also suffers from NIMBY, and political manipulation concerning utilty scale clean energy projects. Roof top solar is also continually under attack from investor owned utilities and even more so by unions here. Rural California is a lot more conservative, just like most states.

As to nuclear, I’m not 100% on board either but Diablo Canyon is there already and is helping out. The cost to build new nuclear is mind blowing and even more mind blowing is the cost to get rid of one. So here we are stuck with a previous generations idea of what is best.

Here’s a fun chart..

View attachment 811336

I do know there was a lot of coal money that fed the anti-nuclear PR effort. Just as the oil industry is currently pushing hydrogen and hybrids.

I’m fortunate to live in an area with a community owned utility that is very rooftop friendly. Last year I paid about $200 for electricity. My house and daily transportation is 100% electric, my Ranger is the last thing I own that burns hydrocarbons. The R1T is close, but the right replacement isn’t available yet.

-Nobody drives or charges their cars at 9pm so close to the winter solstice?
-There is no need for load planning during extreme weather going forward?
-Massachusetts also suffers from NIMBY, see the Kennedy family shutting down Cape Wind project.
project.
- I was around at the time of 3 mile island. I am ZERO percent onboarding with nuclear. Cant believe you only "aren't 100% on board while also championing the environment
-whether it was Coal or old school environment lists who were against nuclear, I'm against it.

Nuclear is good for the starship Enterprise. And maybe submarines.
-stuck with the previous generations idea of what was best? FYI the previous generation discovered or invented red near every piece of technology we use today
-rioftop solar, for me, is like a giant company asking me to build out thier infrastructure for them at my cost. Yes its trus you get a big break on your electric bill, but does it pay the loan to have solar installed on your roof?

I guess I wouldnt mind that so much if it were mine and I could bill what I wanted for electricity that was generated by me on my property.

Still curious to see how it all plays out, though. I'd prefer a hybrid than all electric at this point but I am a little old school

-Nobody drives or charges their cars at 9pm so close to the winter solstice?
-There is no need for load planning during extreme weather going forward?
-Massachusetts also suffers from NIMBY, see the Kennedy family shutting down Cape Wind project.
project.
- I was around at the time of 3 mile island. I am ZERO percent onboarding with nuclear. Cant believe you only "aren't 100% on board while also championing the environment
-whether it was Coal or old school environment lists who were against nuclear, I'm against it.

Nuclear is good for the starship Enterprise. And maybe submarines.
-stuck with the previous generations idea of what was best? FYI the previous generation discovered or invented red near every piece of technology we use today
-rioftop solar, for me, is like a giant company asking me to build out thier infrastructure for them at my cost. Yes its trus you get a big break on your electric bill, but does it pay the loan to have solar installed on your roof?

I guess I wouldnt mind that so much if it were mine and I could bill what I wanted for electricity that was generated by me on my property.

Still curious to see how it all plays out, though. I'd prefer a hybrid than all electric at this point but I am a little old school
Yeah, essentially some one guesstimated wrong and yes, they learned their lesson. There are a lot more grid scale batteries online now.

We got a bunch of incentives from my electric utility when I converted my house to all electric. I used that towards my solar system so I was out of pocket for about $10k. Still big upfront but I don’t need to worry about rate hikes and one less bill without a gas connection.

Like I said, I paid around $200 for electricity last year which includes most of my transportation. The way it works here we essentially run a tab all year and settle up at years end. We’re still on the hook for fees and such every month which is about $30 though.

When I bought this house it needed a new hot water heater, HVAC, insulation etc. anyway. Once I found out about the rebates it just made sense to go with it all. I really wanted solar when we lived in Phoenix but the utilities were making it near impossible.

In all fairness, our commutes are short and Sacramento has pretty mild winters but it does get warm and we have lots of sun. In a colder climate I would have gone with a battery and a lot more insulation.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Here’s a fun chart..

View attachment 811336

This popped up today..

This popped up today..
Yep, change is hard. Keeping Diablo open has been talked about for a while now and was finalized today. Nothing else in that article is news, it reads more like propaganda.

In fact that site looks real shady. The URL doesn’t match the name of the organization and I can’t find any information about them. I have never heard of them and Google can’t parse the name without just bringing up old SOTU addresses.

Yeah, the Washington Examiner is a 100% biased source. I grew up near DC and it used to be a free weekly paper, not sure if it still is. It even says “commentary” in the by line!

You’re looping in a bubble brother. Did you turn off auto play on YouTube?

Back to California energy ambitions… should you not treat cancer if you can’t 100% cure it?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Yeah, the Washington Examiner is a 100% biased source. I grew up near DC and it used to be a free weekly paper, not sure if it still is.

You’re looping in a bubble brother.

Back to California energy ambitions… should you not treat cancer if you can’t 100% cure it?

Dude, look in a mirror!
You are a 100% biased source, as long as the story fits YOUR bias it's good, typical agenda driven drivel.

ThundahBeagle

Yeah, essentially some one guesstimated wrong and yes, they learned their lesson. There are a lot more grid scale batteries online now.

We got a bunch of incentives from my electric utility when I converted my house to all electric. I used that towards my solar system so I was out of pocket for about $10k. Still big upfront but I don’t need to worry about rate hikes and one less bill without a gas connection.

Like I said, I paid around $200 for electricity last year which includes most of my transportation. The way it works here we essentially run a tab all year and settle up at years end. We’re still on the hook for fees and such every month which is about $30 though.

When I bought this house it needed a new hot water heater, HVAC, insulation etc. anyway. Once I found out about the rebates it just made sense to go with it all. I really wanted solar when we lived in Phoenix but the utilities were making it near impossible.

In all fairness, our commutes are short and Sacramento has pretty mild winters but it does get warm and we have lots of sun. In a colder climate I would have gone with a battery and a lot more insulation.

Thanks for the info. Understand that when I was a kid in the '70's we were told all about what people thought the future would be like. Solar power - cool and we saw it in a lot of science fi. Flying cars. Electrification.

I'm not against it. But I have worked with a municipality that has their own electric division and saw that it's a lot of work, money, and infrastructure just to keep the lights on. And how much would need to be upgraded just if 10% of people owned electric cars and wanted to charge them overnight. Essentially no downtime on the grid.

Ok? The idea of having my log home up here in the Northeast being self sufficient, complete with solar array, battery backup - yeah, I'm in favor of that. We still Husee small, old windmills on local farms that all they do ir run a pump to get cattle water when far afield.

In practice, though, I'm a little skeptical or even contrarian unless something can be proven to me. I still want solar on my house, I'm just against paying for some big company's infrastructure, so I'm looking into a small Bluetti system or something, so I can build it out and use it how I want to. That will still reduce my dependence on my local electric supplier, I just need to do more research to determine how much. I've had an energy assessment done on the house and it's pretty snug. Log single story ranch with finished basement built in the mid 1980's with insulation above the ceiling, pretty good windows with storms, newer roof, weather stripping around the doors and so on.

Wanted to change the heat from the original oil to something more green but pure solar and geothermal were outrageously expensive, and split packs/heat pumps aren't all that great below freezing - certainly not good enough to completely destroy the aesthetics of the log cabin, and geothermal needs that big plenum that I'd have to build out, and the wells at x dollars per well...friend of mine who is a city engineer and a good 20 years younger than me, went from 25 grand to almost 60 grand for estimates to build out his geothermal at a house he just bought and it's not a big house, so that project never got off the ground. He, in a demographic that would do green wherever possible, is still on fossils, because it is less expensive and works in the cold we get here.

Taking all these things in consideration during a new build, however, that's where the best results can be gained. Still looking at options, maybe next year for the off grid solar, but geothermal is off the table at this point.

But I'm taking this far off from the OP, so I'll cede the floor

Last edited:

Jupiter58

50% natural gas.
Almost 18% "unspecified imported" - read: hydro, nuclear, coal, burning trash or anything really
Almost 9% nuclear. NUCLEAR

I've seen the call by environmentalists for more nuclear as a supposed "green and safe option." Sorry, but anyone who remembers Three Mile Island would call the nouveau environmentalists out on that BS...Speaking of the government or big business lying to constituency ...

That chart shows renewables currently (see what I did there?) at about 10% of demand, and almost 80% of CA's power still sourced from either carbon or bad juju that kills people invisibly and leaves 40 sq miles uninhabitable for 5 lifetimes. And they still cant keep the lights on

I just cant see how all electrics are feasible now. Maybe in 10- 20 years

What happened at three mile island? Do you even know?
How many people died? Zero
How was the environment affected? Not at all.
What were any long term effects to the population? None can ever be correlated to the incident. Very minor release of contamination.
Unit 1 continued operating for 40 years and that one plant which is only 800 megawatt generated as much kw-hrs as every solar thermal and electric production unit in the entire USA during that period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad