SPOT Global Messenger

SpotMaker

expeditionswest said:
I added a thread for posting up the track progress results from trips we take.

Spotmaker:
Any plans for offering a .gpx download from the message history screen? We could simply select the track points (or select all) and instead of ShowOnMap, we could click ExportTrackFile. Being an .xml standard for GIS files, .gpx is readable by most GPS software now, which would allow us to share tracks upload track to GPS units, etc.

One more question: Is there a limit to the number of stored track points, or do the "expire" at any point? I will likely have the SPOT running the entire time on my South America expedition, 5-6 months...

EDIT: Found this!

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

It's a third party plug-in to create .gpx files from google-map pages, and it works with the findmespot.com website.

As my wife likes to say, "Next time you should wish for $1,000,000." :)

I don't know if SPoT intends to build this into their website any time soon, but I can ask. Remember, I work for the company that makes the SPoT device, which is separate from SPoT Inc. I know that some website enhancements are being worked on, but I don't even know any specifics.

As to how long it keeps the points, I'm not sure. I think they scroll off after 30 days. But I may be mistaken. I'll ask that too. (.gpx downloads cna be used to keep the points forever, of course).

Interestingly, although I've had access to SPoT units since June or July (early prototypes), I've only had a "real" SPoT, activated so that it works through the findmespot.com website, for a couple of weeks, so I'll see what happens to my own points when I've had it for 30 days.

We have a "test" database for in-house testing purposes where all the messages, including 911 just end up in a SQL database and from there we can display them on google maps. Since it was handy to keep the SPoT running for long periods to test things like battery life and temperature range, etc., I'd gotten in the habit of almost always using 911 mode for testing. On my new "real" SPoT I wrote the word ACTIVE in fat Sharpie with a big arrow pointing to the 911 button so I wouldn't forget. Mash that button on this one, and the authorities would come racing to my "rescue"!! :eek:

Last edited:

SpotMaker

Vehicle placement tip.

I've seen several posts about where to place the unit in the vehicle.

I've found a place to put the SPoT that may not seem obvious.

In my 2006 Dodge Durango, it works quite impressively well inside the glove compartment!

I've got it kind of wedged in so that it's almost perfectly face-up with the glovebox closed.

It seems that on the Durango, there's almost no metal in the dash, it's all composites.

There's even an airbag above the glove compartment, and it still works well. The dashboard notwithstanding, putting it in the glovebox places it directly under the windshield, after all.

In the New Orleans area, I get about 70% of the messages in track mode with the unit in the glovebox. This compares to about 80% on top of the dashboard.

We've observed that performance is slightly better in the central, western, and northeast US than it is in the southeast, where I am (better angle on the ground stations), so many of you should experience better results than that.

Of course, the glove compartment placement is a huge YMMV issue. Some dashboards have lots of metal in them, which would kill the performance. But, some of you may find this a good location.

SpotMaker

expeditionswest said:
I added a thread for posting up the track progress results from trips we take.

Spotmaker:
Any plans for offering a .gpx download from the message history screen?

Ask and you shall receive!!! :) :)

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

(I edited my post above to include this link.)

It's a browser plug-in, and it works with the google link from findmespot.com.

Third party, but it should do what you want! :)

Here's a post in another forum created by someone using this tool:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5896155&postcount=78

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
SpotMaker said:
Ask and you shall receive!!! :) :)

Thank you sir! I will work with it later this week and give some feedback.

For mounting my SPoT, I slide out the little "extra" shade piece on the visor and clip it there. It seems to have worked well on the trip.

SpotMaker

Something slightly annoying:

I just tried that gmap to .gpx converter myself (link in above post - only found it this morning).

From the findmespot.com website, it seems to work like a champ in Firefox, but does not seem to work in Internet Explorer.

It seems to work fine from "maps.google.com" in either browser.

I've managed to find reports claiming success from the findmespot website with Internet Explorer so it might just be my particular configuration. Hope so... :(

Anyway, I could get it to work just fine with firefox...

spot retailman

SPOT Satellite Messenger dealer

Hello and Happy Holidays to all,

My company offers mobile satellite communications solutions including the new SPOT Satellite Messenger. I have followed the posts and have been pleased to see that the test results have been favorable and that SPOTMAKER is answering your questions. Please visit my website, www.itzcomm.com if you are looking for further info on the product.
If you have any questions or would like an info packet please feel free to contact me anytime, I would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you.

Have a great holiday season, be safe.
Terry

TheRoadie

Explorer
Congrats to everyone on the design and mfg and marketing teams! Did the pointy hair bosses pass out some pizza and beer to celebrate the first save of hopefully many?

It's not often that you get to work on a product or service that not only improves lives, but preserves them. Priceless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1