SPOT Global Messenger

SpotMaker

New SPoT website feature.

Have you seen the new feature?

Now, under the message tab on your SPoT account website, there are buttons to download the selected track points in GPX, CSV, or KML format!

Now, all they need is a "guest" login any I think they'll have addressed the top two requests for website enhancement. :cool:

Oh, and by the way: We have a third report of a 911 save for SPoT!

Last edited:

TheRoadie

Explorer
SpotMaker said:
Have you seen the new feature?

Now, under the message tab on your SPoT account website, there are buttons to download the selected track points in GPX, CSV, or KML format!
Hmmm, didn't see that yet. But it gives me an idea for another feature they should have. An opt-in email list to announce new features!
Now, all they need is a "guest" login any I think they'll have addressed 99% of the requests for website enhancement. :cool:
Looks like half of my suggestions didn't make it or were rejected. Wish they were communicating their software roadmap like Delorme does so well in their forums.
Um, no - sorry. The third instance mentioned has already been discussed here. The careless reporter mentioned the SPOT, they included a picture of a SPOT, but it was a PLB that was used in the incident. Seems GPS World is guilty of not reading the original article closely and it's becoming an urban legend. At least I haven't seen Globalstar taking credit for it yet. They should contact the ABC15 reporter for a correction.

Golash said the device saved rescue teams valuable time. They were able to find him easily.

Glendale's Cabela's store says the Personal Locater Beacon devices have been selling well in recent months.

They carry several models. The newest model, called SPOT Satellite Messenger, costs about $150. It is a hand held device. It requires a yearly fee to ensure access to the special, emergency button.

Golash said he received a slightly larger model. It cost $550.

SpotMaker

TheRoadie said:
Looks like half of my suggestions didn't make it or were rejected. Wish they were communicating their software roadmap like Delorme does so well in their forums.Um, no - sorry.

Impatient, aren't we?

The SPoT website, like every site on the web, will be a work in progress forever.

There are many enhancements being worked on, and others being discussed.

You sound like you're taking it personally that some suggestions that you made weren't implemented instantly. Many of them are likely coming.

Again, I work for Axonn, the manufacturer of the orange piece of hardware. My contact with the web-designing people is best described as "indirect", but I know that a number of new web features are under development and/or test.

Scott Brady

Founder
We all need to be very pleased that a manufacturer would spend the time to answer questions and take enhancements into consideration at all.

SpotMaker has bee active in working with our community, and I more than applaud him for that! :beer:

TheRoadie

Explorer
SpotMaker said:
Impatient, aren't we?
Not at all. I wasn't even haunting the site to see if it changed to include anything I suggested. I appreciate your heads up that there's a new feature. I also wish Globalstar would have a staffer become a member here to engage in this discussion with us. But we certainly appreciate your being here, and I'm not confused about who you work for.
The SPoT website, like every site on the web, will be a work in progress forever.
Understood. But I was bringing up the Delorme forums as an excellent example of engaging with the customer base, announcing new features, requesting feedback. There are many, many worse GPS vendors out there. I was hoping Globalstar could be more like Delorme than the others.
There are many enhancements being worked on, and others being discussed.
I assume that it's a continuous process. I manage Customer Support for a semiconductor equipment manufacturer ($300-500K systems) and one of the requirements of the job is managing the bug list and feature request queue, and communicating the roadmap to the customer base so they see what's coming. It's a much more transparent process, and the Globalstar model of accepting feature requests and rolling them out without announcement is the opaque model. Customers seem to prefer a model with some visibility into it. But since you're an outsider to that team, as am I, anything we speculate on is just guessing.
You sound like you're taking it personally that some suggestions that you made weren't implemented instantly. Many of them are likely coming.
I sure didn't mean to come across that way, but when I submit a dozen suggestions, and only one obvious one gets done, what way should I express frustration? For instance, I *still* can't login to my account using my Moto Q phone with IE Mobile, due to its requirement for Javascript. I even tried with Opera Mobile with Javascript, and it still failed to let me log in.

I can buy stocks, airline tickets, and check traffic on my phone, but Globalstar can't make an accessible login page? The site also appears to ignore any hint of disabled accessibility, but if I can't use a mobile browser I didn't even want to remind them to accommodate the visually disabled.
Again, I work for Axonn, the manufacturer of the orange piece of hardware. My contact with the web-designing people is best described as "indirect", but I know that a number of new web features are under development and/or test.
We remember, or at least I do, and I really, really love the product, as does my wife who used to worry a lot more about my trips. As long as the 911 feature works well, the rest of it is just fluff - but it's fluff we paid extra to get, and Globalstar is making it difficult to use.

As a reminder to myself, here's my last list of suggestions:

Feature requests for track mode:

a) Messages aren't numbered (1, 2, 3) in the list.
b) Messages aren't numbered in a readable way if they overlap on the map when the SPOT isn't moving. The font for the number (white) is small and can't be seen well on a white background.
c) When you hit the pop-up box on a message, they aren't numbered either so it's hard to correlate with the list.
d) Really annoying while tracking an expedition in progress: hits are being RENUMBERED from most recent backwards, so the list is unusable from hit to hit. They should be numbered from oldest to newest, and never renumbered once added to the list
e) Resetting the list numbering would be useful to separate different trips. Somehow they are being reset now for a new trip (maybe a new day?), but it's not clear what the criteria are.
f) Time should be a choice of GMT or local time zones.
g) The Google map display has no LAT/LONG lines or distance scale.
h) I see you can resort the list by clicking in the header. Would be best if the default sort order was indicated somewhere as "sorted by latest time - change it by clicking in the header"
i) I'd like to see a "data export" button to send the selected data to a CSV or TXT file (or some common GPS waypoint formats) for importing to a spreadsheet or to share with other GPS users.
j) And as we previously discussed, a way to view tracks for users other than the owner of the account.

So from November 19 to now, I got one wish out of ten on new features, no communication on acceptance or rejection of the suggestions, and still can't login without dragging out a full-size computer with a browser they support. I don't take it personally, and I understand our needs could be different from other user populations like racing teams, kayakers, or private pilots, but I claim that sending suggestions into a black hole that just absorbs them is a frustrating exercise.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
expeditionswest said:
We all need to be very pleased that a manufacturer would spend the time to answer questions and take enhancements into consideration at all.

SpotMaker has bee active in working with our community, and I more than applaud him for that! :beer:

I couldn't agree more. Its rare that a manufacturer would take time out of his/her day to even answer questions.. let alone change things to help us out. I consider us lucky.

Thanks Spotmaker for trying to do your best.

And the new track point download option is cool! thanks!

K2RVR

Adventurer
Considering it has only been out 3 months, I'd say the SPoT folks are doing great at turning up new functionality so quickly. I am very impressed with the product and am presenting it to our 4X4 SAR group tonight.

The demo unit I have will then be tested on Mt Hood to see how it does buried under differrent depths of snow. I'll report on the findings once we have them.

TheRoadie

Explorer
Looks like a non-SPOT PLB:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_webfound.a69258.html

About 8 a.m., Camarillo resident Nate Freund, 27, called searchers' command post from his cell phone to say he was OK and warm, said Jodi Miller, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. He got lost because of weather conditions, which included low clouds and fog, she said.

Searchers already had pinpointed Freund's location because he had a personal locator beacon, a type of tracking device.
Freund went on a hike Sunday with food and a sleeping bag and planned to stay overnight and return Monday, Miller said. About 3 p.m., he text-messaged his sister to say he was lost, Miller said. He is an experienced marathon hiker, she said.

A U.S. Air Force satellite picked up the signal from Freund's tracking device and led rescuers to him. He is believed to be at an elevation of 8,400 feet, Miller said. About 14-16 people took part in the search.

Odd that he carried his cell phone, a PLB, but no handheld GPS. But can't argue with the results. A quick search shows there are almost 150,000 registered PLBs, but until 2003, they could be used only for marine applications.

nate

Rescued hiker

Hello Roadie,

Thank you for your post and interest in my story. I also carried a Garmin Etrex Summit handheld GPS. I relayed its coordinates to the command center to help confirm my location. However, a GPS alone does not have a homing function that helps ground forces pin-point the source of the distress signal.

Best of luck on your travels off-road,
Nate

TheRoadie

Explorer
Hello, Nate, and congratulations carrying all those gadgets! I assumed since the news story mentioned that you texted your sister, and the story didn't also mention that you texted her your coordinates, that you didn't have a working human-readable GPS with you. Maybe the story was wrong, and you texted your coordinates to your sister *and* had the PLB to call SAR.

And until you mentioned it, I had totally forgotten that PLBs also have the 50mW 121.5MHz homing transmitter to assist SAR for the last few yards. Since I don't hike in the wilderness like you, but normally stay with my vehicle, I suppose I could find a cheap surplus aircraft ELT to carry. Hmmmm.

Assume you found this thread by Googling your name. A good thing for everybody to do every few months. Carry on!

nate

Hello again Roadie, the stories hit about 98% of the exact series of events. Pretty good considering the dynamic situation. I did text my sister and roommate that i was lost, then activated my PLB. The next morning I again text'd my sister (Rachel) and phoned in my coordinates to the Command post. A spot of about 2ft radius allowed phone reception (I could only get through tuesday morning and not the day before, txt'd worked OK though.) I did have a hand held GPS but the media was so focused on the PLB that they forgot about the SEARCH AND RESCUE FORCES (obviously a significant contributor to my survival. Ventura County Star published a good article praising the SAR forces.) The final nail in the coffin for me was failure to mark a very important junction on the Ice House Canyon trail called the Saddle. I thought I had marked it on my GPS b/c I have been there 3 times before. With that I could have found the main trail and returned with 'minor' difficulty.

I checked out the pictures of your off-road adventures. I highly suggest you purchase a PLB. Go to ACR Electronics website and read the story of a couple that were saved while using their PLB during an off-road adventure that went wrong (rain fall miles away can send floods your way.) PLB's are actually 1/4th the power as ELT's. Most hikers I'm sure don't want to carry a heavy airplane transmitter. Although you are carrying it in your car and I assume PLB's would be cheaper than ELT's.

This is a link to an excellent article published on PLB's (published today.) http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_beacon31.3ad2c92.html

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nate, its so awesome hearing what REALLY happened vs. what the media makes you believe. Thank you for taking a few minutes with us to share your true details.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Anyone have recommendations on getting the share site to work in Apple Safari? Trying to give access to a family member who is PC challenged and remote from me. They state it shuts down the brwoser when they click on the link, they don't even get to the login screen....

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Can someone tell me how to get the SPOT tracking working? I see the option when i log on, and have it selected, but i get no track on my spot page. the unit is transmitting from the OK button though..???

thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1